I'm considering accepting a check as payment on craigslist for a vehicle

I'm considering accepting a check as payment on craigslist for a vehicle.

Normally I'd say no as they could be theives trying to give me a fake check as they drive off without me knowing until I cash it but, this guy is willing to let me take the check, wait till it clears and then have someone pick up the car.

Is there any possible way I could still get screwed? My thoughts are its someone elses check, and that I'll be taking money from someone else. Or that I'm their guniea pig to see if their checks work. Let me know what you think.

Other urls found in this thread:

craigslist.org/about/scams
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I've paid with a check before. As long as you wait for the check to completely clear, you're in no danger at all. If something happens AFTER (which is rly impossible) it's a matter thats a lot bigger than you or the seller.

>stolen identity
>writes check, that cashes
>real person complains
>bank comes back at you
>you get screwed

I'm a manager for a major cable company. I'm not in billing so I don't know exactly how/why any of this works the way that it does, but we have check payments get reversed like a week after the fact sometimes.

NO FAGGOT NO NO NO N FUCKING NO FAGGOT NO FAGGOT NO FAGGOT NO NOFAGGOT

CASH IN HAND OR FUCKING BLOW WE CAN GO TO THE BANK AND GET IT TOGETHER FAGGOT LEARN TO CRAIGSLIST

If he has the money to write the check then he can pay cash. Go with him to his bank and do the transaction there in cash.

Even cash is sketchy on craigslist, and you want to ask about a check?

Easy, go to the bank that the check is from. Have them cash the check there.

Alternatively cash or a CASHIERS check. Anything not those and I don't bother.

go to the bank on the check and cash it direct.

cashiers check fag
do you even know how craigslist works

This might actually work, just don't do it at your bank, do it at the bank the check is from.

Then walk out with your cash and go from there.

on the off chance this isn't bait of some sort:
fraudulent checks can clear and be in your account until later, when the money gets rescinded as its recognized as fraud. Read CLs warnings or whatever, pretty sure this shit is in there. The exception is if they pay in a certified check such as cashiers check. But why bother? Cash is much easier.
Don't get scammed OP

Yes it is really this easy

also - the check is probably fake - call the bank and verify funds BEFORE you go to bank.

make a copy of his driver license for safe keeping op. information is your weapon against getting yourself scammed

I've paid for a truck with a $17,000 bank check cause that's how my credit union does loans. His bank confirmed the funds from my bank and that was all we needed for confirmation. Personally I would not accept any personal checks.. tell him to cash it or withdraw the funds and give you cash in hand at a neutral safe location

This no bait. Non craigslisting faggot OP here and thanks Sup Forums for schooling me I had immediate "this is fucking bullshit this guy is a faggot" thoughts just need my old buddy user to tell me whats what (and call me a faggot a few times.)

First off, there's almost no reason why a person would want to pay by check instead of just handing you cash. So this is a red flag, in general. NEVER accept a check if it isn't face-to-face; it'll always be fake / bad / no good / youdungoofed.

Second, CAUTION! CASHIERS CHECKS CAN BE FAKE!
ALL YOU NEED IS A PRINTER AND SOME FANCY PAPER AND YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN (fake) CASHIERS CHECK!
I've made that mistake once. Got cashiers check in mail. It was fake. Actually almost got in some shit for just trying to deposit it, but thankfully I was like 17 at the time so they were like "Oh, he's just dumb." (They assumed I had made it myself and was trying to get money via check fraud. Apparently I'm sorta suspicious looking? I dunno.)

If you MUST accept a check:

This.

You can take a check to a bank that it's from (in other word's, if person A writes you a check from "Regions Bank" then go to the nearest branch of Regions Bank, and cash it.

This ensures that the money comes directly out of Person A's account essentially. If funds aren't available, you'd know right then while standing talking to the teller at that bank.

Don't give them the car title until you have the cash from their bank in your hands.
In fact, you can often just offer to meet them at their bank, so that you can do this easily and hand over the title as soon as the cash is in your hands.

Heck, they can just withdraw the cash themselves... which is why the whole check thing is suspicious af.

>Heck, they can just withdraw the cash themselves... which is why the whole check thing is suspicious af.

Well as some other user said, if they can get a check than they have the cash anyway, so why wouldn't they just pay in cash?
There is an exception though, well besides the cashiers check option anyway. If the vehicle you're selling is expensive enough to warrant a loan from the buyer, then you may get payment in the form of a 'check.' But IIRC it's a check along the lines of a cashiers check. It is certified from the bank, and a bank teller signs it just like a cashiers check.
I bought my truck with a loan check from my bank. The seller went with me to the bank to ensure that the check cleared, but if I recall it was a certified check so that wasn't really necessary, but I didn't mind the short trip with him just to ensure his peace of mind.

hey it really is all right here dude: craigslist.org/about/scams

take the check to buyer's bank and make them cash it. Explain the situation. They can tell if it is legitimate and give you cash. If they can't cash it for you find out why.

Talk to your bank about how many days you have to wait before it clears permanently. It can be up to 7 days.

Just no.
Meet him at the bank. Get cash or certified funds.

It's spelled "cheque" you fuck. Kill yourself in the face after chopping your dick off with a clearer.

It's spelled "cheque" you God damn nigger.

>It's spelled "cheque"
if you're a fag

I bet the buyer is even offering to pay over asking price if you give him the difference back in cash? What's the name of this Nigerian Prince and what diamond exchange is holding your millions? Asking for a friend.