What does Sup Forums think of the residents?

what does Sup Forums think of the residents?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mUxN4gyarEw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

one of my all time favorite bands/artists. more a fan of their earlier shit though

i'm still trying to discern meaning from the mole trilogy

Not Available is one of the greatest albums of all time, no question about it.
My favorite experimental record of the 1970's.

can't tell if they're over- or underrated on here which probably means they're great. everything up to the mole trilogy is amazing, especially . their later stuff hasn't stuck with me much but the mole trilogy, Demons Dance Alone, and Animal Lover are all great

Definitely underrated on here, and worldwide honestly. People cannot get past the initial weirdness factor. Obviously we can though, and are being rewarded for it.

Would be nice to see a collab with them and David Lynch

most of their high concept stuff is stupid
the deconstruction of pop is fine but they seem to have fallen into the trap that most of these groups (primus, melvins, tom waits...) get stuck in: making quirky, dumb music for nerds with lots of words but no feeling, and music that's an inferior parody of the rest of the pop landscape. people who listen to this trash tend to think they're really smart for suffering through it.

Fingerprince [Ralph, 1976]

With its mechanized vocal sounds and displaced melodies, this is the kind of vanguardy post-pop pastiche Frank Zappa might be putting together if he hadn't left his brain at the bank in 1971. Most of my informants prefer Meet the Residents or (especially) Third Reich n' Roll, with its disrespectful but familiar quotes from the likes of "It's My Party" and "96 Tears," but I find this current album more listenable--Another Green World with a chip on its shoulder, sort of. B

Duck Stab/Buster & Glen [Ralph, 1978]

Much to my annoyance, I not only find myself nyaahing along to these weird, misanthropic, exuberantly absurdist post-art-rock fragments, I find myself giggling. Just the thing to divert precocious but obnoxious ten-year-olds. A-

Subjects for Further Research [1980s]: Once I listened with respectful pleasure to the mechanical, displaced nature of these anonymous San Francisco cutups, but when Ralph took me off the mailing list around 1981, presumably for lack of enthusiasm, I didn't complain. Later Rykodisc sent me God in Three Persons, an obscure or banal fable about pain 'n' pleasure narrated by an avant-garde cousin of Stanard Ridgway, and Enigma sent me The King and I, in which the same fella casts aspersions upon Elvis Presley in between covering his songs. Some will tell you these are great works. Which is why I myself m no longer dying to hear their much-praised Gershwin-Brown tribute George & James.

Everything Rocks and Nothing Ever Dies [1990s]

I saw them back in the day with Snakefinger, yes the were amazing.

Basically Devo but not as commercial.

Does this sound like a devo song to you?
youtube.com/watch?v=mUxN4gyarEw

Santa dog a jesus fetus

Not sound-wise but they were contemporaries and had similar ideas about deconstructing society, albeit in a much more abstract and inaccessible style.

Fair enough.

And maybe Kraftwerk as well? Another group from the same era, same ideas and general concept.

The Ghost Of Hope was ass, including most of their albums past Mark of the Mole.

They annoy me because I don't know where to start with them.

*holds up spork*
prime example of a band that got worse with every release

Hello Controlling Crowds

Hello Skinny

holds up spjork?

They're pretty bad. Listen to some real avant-garde music like John Cage and Maryanne Amacher.

Oasis is fucking terrible and so is Slowdive. Fuck off Montiefuck.

Robert "I want to fuck a black tranny" Christgau

You are very old

I am.

Not Available, dude.
It's their best album.