Hi Sup Forums

Hi Sup Forums

After passing C and C++ with a quite high grade in my university I started to wonder what could I do with it.

So I started learning SFML- went though most of the documentation- understood how it works: OK!

Then I tried programming a simple game and I really didn't know where to start! I don't know the essentials of game programming: physics, movements, interactions, AI, etc...

So I tried googling "how to make a game" and it showed me the technical stuff- I don't want that- I want to learn game design, that is the game theory- not how it's technically made...

So if anyone of fellow anons can help me out, guide me to the right direction I'd be very grateful

Thank you.

Other urls found in this thread:

unity3d.com/
gameprogrammingpatterns.com/contents.html
dofactory.com/net/design-patterns
brm.io/game-physics-for-beginners/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

if you don't reply to this post your mother will die in her sleep tonight

it's morning, also very mature.

it's up to you to define these things. you cant make something from nothing. so what pieces make up a game? start with the simple how do i display this thing in that way on the screen. make it a dot make it a picture make it interact with your mouse ? how does one make hardware interact with your program? what could you make your program do based on said user inputs?

I study CS, I learned C++.

My roommate is majoring in video game design and he codes in C#......that's all I can tell you. I assume he's taken some courses like Intro to RPGs or some shit like that too, I'll ask him.

My first game was made on python, and was snake. I did this without any knowledge on game making, next I'm going to learn how to use DirectX to render 3d objects, you should look up directX

CS major here, mainly scientific research. If you want to learn stuff about game development check out Unity. Unity works quite well with C# which should be easy for you if you know C and C++.

I don't have any knowledge of concepts of game development so I cant really define anything for myself...

If you want to make a game, C and C++ are good languages but honestly difficult to use if you are a single developer and making a first game (especially if you are trying to use OpenGl). I would use a premade game engine like Unity, and write code in a higher level language like C#. This will allow you to accomplish more advanced design with a lot less work (not to mention portability)

Create tower defense game

My dude. Go to unity unity3d.com/ and download their engine. There is a vibrant community, many tutorials.
You can program it in C# or C++ and others

If you love doing things by yourself and learn how stuff works behind the scenes:
Move to C#, use MonoGame.

If you're a faggot:
Move to C#, use Unity

Oh oh - a challenge. A Duel a duel!

I am the agrieved, I choose Coldfusion at 20 paces.

I dont think you've read read my post...

I want to learn theory behind game programing not how you do it in code or which language or engine you use or which is the easiest way...

I want to learn basic game programming theory that could be applied to all.

Well, first you'll need a loop, which is managed to create a fluid movement by limiting the fps, or by scaling the speed of the game to the speed. You'll need to read inputs, mouse, etc. A list of all of the sprites or entities in your game will need to be processed and accounted for in your loop, which will handle AI, movement, etc. Checking for collisions and handling those. Etc.

Yes, and you learn basic game programming theory by actually using a framework written in a specific language.

Fuck your "I need to read all the doc before coding hurr durr" and learn by doing. You're already on the path of failure.

I have read your post. However, I think a good start is to forego lower level language in favor of higher level ones, because you will waste less time with the minor details of graphics implementation, etc. I think a good first step is to learn frame independent timing in a simple 2 dimensional game

Ok I get it. Understand this: game theory depends on the platform. Unless you are trying to figure out how a game progresses.

In unity you have a basic grid where you player resides. the grid is the universe for your player(s). You decide what motions for player, what physics the world and objects have, how they look etc.

Does night not precede the morning? Idiot

No day precedes the night. Idiot.

I know the structure but not the individual parts in it
I am quite comfortable with C/C++ I am more than used to dealing with stuff like resource managment. I dont want to get lazy and go with languages like C#. That is I dont want to unlearn what I learned in C++ and C
I wish to learn exactly that what happens when I player jumps, moves, speed, gravity, collisions and similar stuff from whuch I got engines like unity do all of that for you. I dont want to take the easier route.
----------------------
Sorry I am replying so slow, I'm typing on a phone.

gameprogrammingpatterns.com/contents.html

dofactory.com/net/design-patterns

nigga you're unwilling to learn or completely autistic

useful material, thanks

So basically you want to know real objects react to the environment you've constructed for them? How a body moves and is affected by physics and the collision effects when it hit's the ground? Go outside and look around you weeb.

Well shit - if you want to learn the WHY of it - start from scratch and figure out your own platform.

You dont need to know the why/how to make a game. you are not interested in a game, you want to make a platform.

I once started to design my own programming language for the same reason.

Used ASM - dont do it OP - it will eat you alive.

No worries.

>I dont want to get lazy and go with languages like C#

Nothing lazy about using C#, it's a powerful language.

>I wish to learn exactly that what happens when I player jumps, moves, speed, gravity, collisions and similar stuff from whuch I got engines like unity do all of that for you.

You can grab a book on game physics, some info for you here.

brm.io/game-physics-for-beginners/

>I dont want to take the easier route.

You should take the route that leads you to your goals quicker, there's no harm in using higher level languages/engines to get something basic built.

Tinker with existing engines see how they handle things and you can work to creating your own basic engine for learning.

Good luck.

It appears no one is really reading what you've said. I recommend the "Extra Credits" youtube channel for some great insights into game design.

And a personal recommendation as an active game dev: make someone else playtest your game, and say nothing during the playtesting, just take notes. Take a video of the process if you can, so you can view it several times and pinpoint the parts where the player has any trouble (bc they don't like the controls, or they don't understand what to do, not referring to difficulty of the game itself).

Good luck.

The second PP is good advice. I am a developer and I NEED other people to test my code, because I know how it is supposed to work. I cant anticipate all the possibilities of real world users.

where were all you faggots 4 months ago when I needed someone to join my team to write a IOS/Android based dating app?..

Dating apps are for first year faggots

I was here. I just fucking hate mobile dev work.

I'm currently working on a VN btw, not that anyone cares.

Dafuq is a VN?

visual novel
not that popular outside of japan, I think

>So I tried googling "how to make a game" and it showed me the technical stuff- I don't want that- I want to learn game design, that is the game theory- not how it's technically made...

The sad reality behind this is that everybody tries to make a game, but nobody tries to make a game fun.

Parallax scrolling? Online multiplayer? None of that matters if your game isn't fun to play. That's not to say that your game has to be very complex, or dynamic. Cookie clicker was a massive hit, for what amounted to be a javascript based game repeatedly clicking more or less the same button. There is a very good reason for the game's success:

Progression is a must. Without progression, your game might be fun, but nobody is going to play it for longer than an hour or two, tops. Again, this isn't to say that progression must be long or complex. Take a look at the game in your picture -- the progression is to become as long as you can by surviving as long as you can.

Those two concepts are the single most important things to have in mind with game development. Miss either of those, and you can find yourself working on a game for 4-6 years and find that it's still complete shit.

The rest of it is simple. Less is more. Bug test frequently. Even if it's not a great game, at least it won't be a shit one.

Expect I'm a creative business person. and knew it would of worked, still can but I spent the money else where I had for it.

First rule to live by, only small percent of successful people get that way by inventing something completely new, the rest are just ripping existing ideals and making them better. that's the key, YOU HAVE TO MAKE IT BETTER! and I had the plan for that, expect I needed some fags to do the coding for me.

Unity is a good option if you don't know muchos about coding you fags, this isnt ops case.

Id recommend using c# with MonoGame/XNA. I understand that most games are made with OOP, Id try and start replicating simple "arcade" games and adding them a twist to see what clicks and what doesnt.

Unless you're somewhat good with arte Id justo leave it to vector bases games or very small and simple sprites.

Hope this helps op

OH SWEET. In my day we called them comic books.

Unity is the way to go. Stop wasting time programming a game from scratch bc its just gonna be some simple chicken shit programmer game. Unity cleans up alot of the bs and makes it easy to get the ball rolling. Drag and drop some assets, program their functions using the function library they already have and presto, they simplified the process so much you can finish your project and export it to multiple platforms such as windows or ps4 with a few clicks. I made a simple rolling ball game in under an hour with their tutorials.

but comic books didn't give you 3d VR waifus.

Well user you've come to the wrong damn place. Get your ass to another board.

However, after half a decade working in the industry. I'll share with you:

1. Get LinuxMint. Developing games on windwos is like trying to make a computer using only a single manufacture's parts.

2. You don't know shit about C. You don't know shit about C++. If you think otherwise, you're not ready.
If you are indeed ready, learn Vulkan or OpenGL. Spoiler alert, Vulkan requires 800 lines of code to get a black screen open.

You can't do it alone, you have to use a premade engine or find at least 5 other friends and make your own.

Wow, man, all I have to say is this: You will fail.

After a while in the industry it becomes pretty easy to see which newbie have a programmer's mind and who don't, and dude, you're way off. Sorry. If I were you I'd focus my efforts on something else, because anything you'll produce will be garbage.

Not the same thing, you're thinking of a graphic novel.
Visual novels have branching stories and change according to choices you make. They're digital, and some people consider them video games. I don't know where I'd stand on that particular issue though.

This is true. You go man.
I prefer 3d real life waifu. I can touch the titties.

this post is literally an "art world" post in the form of programming. I kek'd so hard. why am I still here?

>Wow, man, all I have to say is this: You will fail.

>After a while in the industry it becomes pretty easy to see which newbie artist have a painters mind and who don't, and dude, you're way off. Sorry. If I were you I'd focus my efforts on something else, because anything you'll produce will be garbage.

woah, what a load of bullshit

I wasn't even the programmer guy, but yeah I prefer 3d waifus too. nothing beats eating out a stanky pussy right after a hot shower.

Yes you are correct. There were a few attempts at the multi path option, but it was way to complex/expensive for print. But they made a few.

omg

Ummm - it should not be skanky after a shower. Just saying.

Unity is the main reason Steam is full of shit tier games. It's made "making games" so much easier, tons of people with absolutely no knowledge think they can make a game.

Also, if you're already gonna use a free engine, why not use Unreal? Your garbage will at least look shinier.

yeah, they don't teach code like they used to. Hardware used to be so fucking shit your code had to be perfect to get a game running. Nowadays games have such shit code even shit fucking 90's esque games like Terraria and Underwhatever the fuck use up several gigs or RAM and put an i7 under full load. Give up bro, you were born too late.

What are you talking about, diseased pussy is the best.

Ideas are a dime a dozen, no one is ever going to do your work for you unless you pay them.
I see "ideas guys" everywhere, and no one wants to work with them.

Either save up some money to invest, or fuck off.

Why do I feel like I have given you a quarter?

You can't have a loli waifu irl, so I get my fix with VNs.

I want really clear xD I dont want to make a platform... I want to make something with my own hands using my physics and such. I would like to use SFML library to create a simple 2D game. And write the physics of the game, collisions and everything else all by myself.

ASM - you made me laugh xD

Thanks for the game physics link. Problem with engines is that most of the complicated stuff is already done. How am I supposed learn anything if I use stuff someone already made...

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check the channel out! Also I am a long way ahead from someone testing a game I make... thanks for the advice.

Awesome advice, thanks!

Good advice on replicating arcade games, thanks

This is exactly what I dont want. Using an engine that will make game programing 100x easier.

Of course I dont know shit about those two huge languages. But stuff I did in it I learned and did good. I would use SFML.

K! Surely no one will get hurt if I try :p

If you live in south america, you might have.

Your english is good. I do hope you are not in Venezuela

K

Thank goodness I'm not. I pity the poor bastards.

Indeed. Fucking governments

lol
"I can't, so no one else can"
what a moron

What a cunt