Times you found an artist before they blew up

times you found an artist before they blew up

>really like the Blueprint
>get a copy of 'Get Well Soon...'
>thru the friggin wire is my jam
>next year college dropout comes out

DIscovered Twenty One Pilots' early stuff and loved it and then the next year they were top shit and everyone wouldn't shut the fuck up about them and now I hate most things involving them, mostly the ""fandom""

I´ve heared "Come with me Know" from Kongos, and it was a pretty good song, later they released their new album and in my local programation(3rd world) they maked many comercials with "Take it from me".

>download Acidrap the day it comes out
>year later everyone's talking about how good Chance is

I was at mozart's first gig

Run The Jewels, I remember when their debut album had around 50000 plays on Spotify.

Run the jewels was out for like 2 years before it was even on spotify pleb

I beat youuuu
>fakeshoredrive in 2012
>cruising through "free download of the week"
>Chance the rapper - 10day
>6k downloads on datpiff
>wow this is enjoyable, hope good things come from him

doesnt even count, mike and el-p were huge on the scale of underground hip hop before that

I remember listening to exmilitary month of release. Now they've got anime crossover fanart

was it in Brazil?

>Listened to Kendrick before GKMC. I knew he was gonna get big but I expected him to dumb down his music once he got famous
>Listened to Chance the Rapper before Acid Rap. Thought he was dope but didn't think he would get much mainstream recognition
>Listened to Macklemore before The Heist. I remember when his songs used to only have a couple thousand views, definitely did not expect him to blow up like he did. I also thought The Heist was gonna be incredible when I first heard Wings but was severely let down
>Listened to Sampha before his collaborations with Drake and Kanye. I actually expected him to get way more popular. I think he would have if he had been more consistent with his music output

Pendulum
deadmau5

walked into my house one night and turned on my tv. and there was some rap duo on some late night tv show. i look and am thinking to myself "that's El-P!" What's he doing on a late night talk show? And who is that black guy?" and that's how i found out about run the jewels.

>grow up in Seattle
>in high school in 2011, everyone is talking about Macklemore
>even the teachers like him for his "messages"
>teacher plays Wings in class one day
>I can't believe how fucking corny it is
>Macklemore continues to be a fucking cornball but keeps getting more and more fans
>have to hear Thrift Shop and Can't Hold Us literally everywhere for way longer than anyone should have to

>used to be really into some underground rapper named XV in high school
>dude was kind of a noname but got plenty of big name features for his mixtapes
>puts out a tape called Zero Heroes in 2011
>one song on it is called Textbook Stuff, features some guy named Kendrick Lamar (this was even a couple months before S80 dropped)
>reaction: "dude has kind of a weird voice but holy shit he can rap"
>keep tabs on his for a while
>S80 drops, love it, try and put some friends on to it
>they think he's just some underground rapper that will never make it big
>next year, Swimming Pools comes out as a single
>a few weeks later, those same people try to tell me about him
>mfw

Same as you.
Acid rap is still the best imo. I just dont get all the hype about Coloring Book

used to smoke with tame impala when in sydney around '08 '09. least likely fucker to become international chart topper.

It's pleb but I was on Bryson Tiller before Don't came out, much less when Drake shared it and his album went platinum.

>dumb down sound
>features from almost every mainstream artist in hip hop

Hasn't blown up yey I'm waiting for OmenXIII to blow up so I can laugh at everyone

back when I was still in college, some stoner bro at the local gas station gave me Tool's Undertow cassette a day or two after it went on sale. Didn't know shit about them at the time but I love the music.

saw them this year. 15min long version of opiate was fucking awesome.

Pretty much everything from the swisha house wave of the mid 2000s. But that's unfair because I live in Texas anyway. Still hate mike jones though.

Same, saw them back in may. Too bad maynard phoned in the vocals on a few songs. Seeing eulogy was kickass though

who?

Dyke Jooooooones

should have came out to the burgh. he fucking killed that set. right before parabol started and the arena was all quiet i screamed out "fucking get some maynard" and he was slaying dragons the rest of the show. pretty sure we were the only show to get him actually screaming "prying open my 3rd eye" 8 times or so. most songs were extended. it was fucking killer.

I saw Vince Staples at an Earl Sweatshirt concert in 2014. Excellent performer. Loved his early mixtapes.

Found Death Grips through their s/t EP.

he wasnt that famous but I guess it counts
>2011 I found some werid rapper with like 3000k views
>e-double sounds cool
>5 years later some guy listen to him and i was like "I know this song"
>found out he got like a bunch of views on youtube
>see this thread, find out he died in feb of this year

kinda sad now he got me into rap in the first place, its really light and refreshing and uplifting and its just a blast from high school when music became something important in my life...

Same dude

saw In Flames around 2002 opening for mudvayne in a tiny club (maybe 500 people). Left midway through mudvayne's set and got to meet anders, bjorn and danial. They were super cool to a 15yr old me. signed a budwiser case that i think i still have somewhere.

I saw Courtney Barnett play at a cafe in Melbourne in 2013

Was listening to björk when she was 12. Next thing you know she's an international pop star

After they blew up their music quality went to shit too. Not that they were ever "good" but it was sort of a guilty pleasure for me

I've been listening to mystery skull's stuff for years and now everyone I know listens to him and his new album is actually trash save for like one song

Does Car Seat Headrest count?

she put out music when she was 12?

She did put out an album at 11

Section.80 was still pretty big before Kendrick blew up. HiiPower and Rigamortus were both popular. I remember it being spammed on Sup Forums at the time.

What the fuck, I never knew that existed. I thought Debut was her first release.