/bbg/ - Beach Boys General

What is your favorite Beach Boys album?

What are your favorite Beach Boys songs?

Who is/are your favorite members?

Thoughts on Sunshine Tomorrow?

Any favorite Beach Boys books, films (besides Love and Mercy),videos or articles?

Favorite Bootlegs or unreleased material?

What should the band do next year for 2018 and the Friends 50th anniversary?

Discuss any news, upcoming releases, tour dates or anything Beach Boys/Brian Wilson related here

If you're musically inclined, show us your Beach Boys covers and interpretations of Beach Boys songs on vocaroo

Last time on /bbg/:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=V_oTSCWr8UI
thepiratebay.org/torrent/6179539/The_Beach_Boys_-_Unsurpassed_Masters_1-21
youtube.com/watch?v=rfhq64oWnb0
youtube.com/watch?v=TbnWNrmGKmw
youtube.com/watch?v=46IQu0yuJzU
albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.mx/2013/09/the-beach-boys-smile-1967.html?m=1
alicedreamt.bandcamp.com/releases
youtube.com/watch?v=iYATuYflXfQ
youtube.com/watch?v=SBLHNo1prxg
youtube.com/watch?v=nbhUUsDTfUQ
youtube.com/watch?v=wgSbZTQ5Jbk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Carl is THICC

youtube.com/watch?v=V_oTSCWr8UI

is this after Jan got fucked up in his car accident?

if anybody wants to get this I can start seeding
thepiratebay.org/torrent/6179539/The_Beach_Boys_-_Unsurpassed_Masters_1-21

don't let this thread die again

htf does mike love look about 50 in this photo

DONT WORRY BAAABBBYY

SATURN HAS RINGS ALL AROOOUUUUUUNNNDDD

can someone help me find the good vibrations session where its the hum de dah bridge but its no vocals, and the harpsichord plays the chords at double time?

youtube.com/watch?v=rfhq64oWnb0

basically this but the buzzing harmonica comes in

youtube.com/watch?v=TbnWNrmGKmw

nvm this is it. harpischord doesnt do that, but isnt this just the best thing out there? so sweet and sugary

I still need to mostly get into The Beach Boys' discography. I'd listen to another album today but I'm using a really shitty pair of headphones right now and I don't want that to ruin the music.

What are some similar artists? I really fucking love their earlier surf rock sound. Any other artists have similar vocal harmonies?

nobody quite as good
Listen to Jan and Dean, the Rip chords
I'd really just recommend getting to know their pre-1965 discography really well. For some reason people on here always skip over stuff before Today

Surf's Up is my favourite album, it's imperfect as fuck but the creative peaks on it imo surpass those on Pet Sounds, they're just less numerous. It's also got a great aesthetic with the cover and dry riverbed insert poster.

youtube.com/watch?v=46IQu0yuJzU

>Listen to Jan and Dean, the Rip chords
I'll check them out, thanks. Anyone more modern?

>I'd really just recommend getting to know their pre-1965 discography really well. For some reason people on here always skip over stuff before Today
I really liked All Summer Long myself. Haven't listened to Today yet though.

2 years ago some user here recc'd a fan version of smile that was really good. I've had a HD fail since then and I can't seem to find the same version again - any help?

Why does Surf's Up have such shitty production compared to the two albums that came before it? Long Promised Road is amazing but it's a shame the vocals sound like they're from a telephone.

Is it worth it to go see Brian's 50th Pet sounds with Al and whoever else is still along (Blondie?) I could go in October but it'd be a 2 hour drive and cash is tight (student)

I thought that was just the aesthetic of it. They're from the same studio in Brian's house with Steve Desper engineering.

I am ready to download, Bri. Plz seed

SLN SMiLE?
My favourite version of SMiLE desu.
If you need that link here it is.

albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.mx/2013/09/the-beach-boys-smile-1967.html?m=1

seeding

so is brian

Thanks. Does it show anyone downloading from you? I'm curious because my torrent client isn't downloading it yet.

no

Figured it out. It didn't like the magnet link. Thanks again!

he always did

is it Al who sings the high vocal in the verses of Be Here in the Morning? i have seen conflicting accounts but it seems to be actually Al, not Brian

Friends is such a comfy album its perfect for sitting around on a warm summer day

pleb, Friends is comfy and perfect all year round

Yeah you just need the warmth which is easier to acquire in the summer

Sounds to me like it's split between Brian and Al. I think Al is singing on the verses and Brian is singing Backup vocals

does anyone here have a perfect loop of the ending chorus to good vibrations where its just the instruments and the cello cuts through? that shit is like crack to me

Oh, look!
It's THIS thread again!

you finish?

thats not it but thanks anyway

Yeah, thanks again

np senpai

bampp

Brian has it but he won't release it because people are still ironically listening to Summer of Love

Idk, but same thing for me; 2 hour drive. Why does he play two shows in Indiana but completely skip Detroit?

right? I can drive 2 hours to south bend and I don't even know how much tickets are

Anybody who can sing wanna make some grandiose beach boys-esque tunes with someone with lots of ambition but mediocre singing ability?

Well worth it, do not hesitate, it sounded incredible

lel thats exactly my problem, i love writing beach boy style tunes but cant sing either

I can sing and play a lot of instruments but I have 0 interest in writing and no ambition

It's pretty bad for me personally because my awful singing has destroyed my musical self-esteem to the point where I can't even write a song without thinking it's inherently flawed and giving up.

That's good then. I provide the songs, you provide the sing.

any demos?

Yeah, but I stress that I can't sing alicedreamt.bandcamp.com/releases

I'm sick right now and I can't sing well but maybe someday I could work out a vocal arrangement and record it

this thread outlived the other one now

Okay, well you have my bandcamp, so just send me an email whenever you do.

bump

Is it the MQR mix?

what are Carl's best vocal performances? personally I like This Whole World and Darlin

God Only Knows

breakaway
youtube.com/watch?v=iYATuYflXfQ

youtube.com/watch?v=SBLHNo1prxg

I consider this the greatest achievement in popular music to date.

youtube.com/watch?v=nbhUUsDTfUQ

Once i heard this version i cant go back to the pet sounds tape...it just sounds over produced and takes away from the sweetness and intimacy

it's too lo-fi for my taste, but it does sound pretty nice

youtube.com/watch?v=wgSbZTQ5Jbk

whats your favorite stripped down version of heroes and villains ?

Wow this actually sounds amazing. I like the over-production though, it adds to the elegant feel of the song. The moment where the strings kick in at the second verse at 0:42 is one of the most powerful things I've felt in music.

>Darryl Dragon
O Captain!

Anyone else start to appreciate the Mono mixes more and more these days? Something about just appreciating them the way Brian intended, and with that amazing punchy sound is just awe-inspiring.

The level of control he had, it's heartbreaking that he never really got the full appreciation he deserved for his techniques. Seriously, fuck Mike.

>The level of control he had, it's heartbreaking that he never really got the full appreciation he deserved for his techniques
Reading about Brian's story is the one of the most depressing things ever for me. I hold his music so dear, and it's so absolutely heart-rending to see this creative fire snuffed out in it's youth. For me the Brian that made everything Smile and before died with it's shelving.

Listen to stuff like Time To Get Alone and Here Comes The Night, he still had a hint of that magic there. Hell i'd argue Til' I Die is one of his most accomplished recordings, and that's from 1971.

yeah, I tend to consider the mono mixes and stereo mixes as separate albums almost, except for Today. I can't stand some of the wall of sound albums in stereo.
And Mike isn't all bad, it really wasn't his fault