wolframalpha.com/input/?i=6/2(2+1)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations#Mnemonics
youtube.com/watch?v=mFRIJpU1k3A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is it 6/[2(2+1)] or (6/2)(2+1)?

6/2(2+1)
6/2*3
3*3

Idk, that's why I am asking. I'm not good at math and my math machines are telling me two different answers. PLEASE HELP!

9? no?

9 or 1???

6/2(2+1)
6/2(3)
3(3)

PEMDAS

You fucking children, order of operations, the answer is 1!

I believe it's 1

2(3) is a function and you're supposed to find the output of the function.

if i ask you what 6 / f(2+1) is and I tell you that
f(x) = 2x it would be the same thing

1 According to PEMDAS

It stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction. PEMDAS is often expanded to the mnemonic "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally".

It's obviously 7... 6÷2=3×2=6+1=7

>not even following PEMDAS
>not multiplying before dividing

You fucking nigger

You should be more specific.
Is just like this user said.

Multiplication and division have the same priority. You do them both left-to-right at the same time. Same with addition and subtraction.

/thread now leave before i catch autism

everyone please fuck themselves,

thanks

wolframalpha.com/input/?i=6/2(2+1)

I have ALWAYS been taught to go in order NO MATTER WHAT. What kind of chaotic hell do you live in?

>math machines
Is that like microwave time?

You were taught wrong.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations#Mnemonics
>These mnemonics may be misleading when written this way, especially if the user is not aware that multiplication and division are of equal precedence, as are addition and subtraction.

This.

Write the sum in C++ and see what the answer is.

One of them is seeing it like
>6/2(2+1)

The other
> (6)
>______
>2(2+1)

Now leave

That is the order, you fucking retard.
Prioritizing Parenthesis (inside operations only) and Exponents first, Multiplication and Division second, addition and subtraction last, all from left to right.

Not enough data to compute . I am sorry you will never get it right . Now go back to your shitty NA education schools .

1 = Pemdas
2+1 = 3
2(3) = 6
6÷6 = 1

9 = Bodmas
2+1 = 3
6÷2 = 3
3(3) = 9

PEMDAS isn't a rule, it's a convention. You read left to right and PEMDAS your way to the answer. Both 9 and 1 are correct. Just Google the equation if you want to read up in it

The real answer is you should never write anything like that. The order of operations is meant to made maths easier to read, not harder. When in doubt, use parentheses: (6/2)(2+1) or 6/(2(2+1))

The reason they give different answers is that they use different precedence: one gives the same precedence do multiplication and division, one gives higher precedence to multiplication. Which convention is better? Neither, as I said earlier don't write like that.

That's why cellphones can't be trusted as complicated calcs they bad at it

These

The order of operations is meant to resolve ambiguity, not necessarily make maths easier to read.

OP here. Both are correct? How? This is why I hate and suck at math, there is no logic to this if there are two answers.

This is an old pic
Stop playing user

how is 1

The phone got the correct answer.

Only because he asked it the right question

Obviously 1. Why is this even a question?

It's always summer somewhere

Don't listen to him OP. Every university website I've seen has multiplication and division as left to right equal priority.

A lot of people were just taught the other way and never had to question it because really, everyone would just input parentheses to get 9 in classes.

It depends on the order you use. PEMDAS is only one of the orders. Each country seems to have their own. PEMDAS, BODMAS, BEDMAS, BIDMAS. Look up that equation or just read the wiki on the order of operations

Well, the rules PEDMAS say that division and multiplication go left to right, therefore 6/2(2+1) = (6/2)(2+1) = (3)(3) = 9
This is why I hate the one-line division symbol, it just creates more ambiguity.
Math notation will always be shit.

You multiply the brackets first, after that just multiply and divide
X=6/2(1+2)
X=6/2x3
X=6/6
X=1
Voila

Even BODMAS is the same thing if you look into it

Just don't create any ambiguity in the first place, and you won't need to resolve them.

Anyway, it certainly does not do its job at resolving ambiguity, since it is not widely agreed whether we should do P-E-M-D-AS or P-E-MD-AS.

wrong
one is seing it as 6/(2(2+1)), the ither as 6/2(2+1)

not it doesn't depend on anything.
learn to math.
the answer is 9

Test like this You have to resolve the brackets first

6 / 2(2 + 1) =
6 / (4 + 1) =
6 / 5 =

OP here, I get that there are two ways, but why? I need to understand the logic more so than have the answer. I don't understand how you can pick and choose how to solve it, and when you get two different answers both are "right"...

Math is fucking stupid.

Wrong. It's 9.

You're multiplying over dividing, they are done left to right.

>2(2+1)=(4+1)
>6/5=1
That's not how this works.

The order of operations is a convention. It is created for convenience. There exists more than one convention. Is there really anything more to explain?

Equations are usually written for humans, not machines to read. The way to avoid "picking and choosing" is to use parentheses. If your reader needs to "solve" the equation that is an issue of bad communication from your end.

fuck sakes, like no one remembers their bdmas from grade fucking 3.

Brackets
Division/Multiplication
Addition/Subtraction.

Do in this order, and you'll get what the scientific calculator gets, a calculator designed to do algebra.

Not some shitty ap calculator that can only think from left to right.

I'm Canadian and I was taught BEDMAS. I'm also 31 now though, so that was eons ago.

Additive property. That's exactly how it works.

OP, 9 is the only correct answer.

There are times and places for different convention but the only one you need to care about is the one resulting in 9. If convention is different, it should be explicitly stated otherwise assume it is BODMAS.

are you fucking retarded? if you do the division first, 9 is exactly what you get

These threads always get people riled up about which one is "right". The real lesson here is that the fact that people can argue about the interpretation of notation makes it poor notation; don't use it.

And both ways you have written it down give you 1 as an answer.
6/2(1+2)
3(1+2)
3x3

6/(2(1+2))
6/(2x3)
6/6

6/2 (2+1)
6/2 (3) > the 3 is still in a bracket. You do this first.
6/6 = 1

2*(2+1)=4+2, though.
2*(2+1)=2*(3)=6
4+1=5
6=5
That's not how this works.

9 mein nigga

Hahaha

there is an implied "*" between the 2 and the bracket

Any more memes like that?

9 is correct, reasong being this:

picture it as a fraction

either you evaluate it as 6 over 2(2+1)

OR as 6 over 2 times (2+1) which could also be written es 6 times (2+1) over 2

mathematically, the latter makes a lot more sense because the former actually evaluates the term as if it was written 6/(2(2+1)) which it isn't

Are you trolling or are you genuine idiots ? I really cant tell .

Can't tell if you're trolling or just a fucking idiot.

What do you mean you do the 3 in the bracket first? Do what with it? Fuck it?

I think both.
Maybe he's just 12.

one is for the pink, one is for the stink and one is for the peepee hole

>3*3
>1
kys nigga

Into the reaction image folder!

See

>Multiplication and division have the same priority.
This. This is the standard way to deal with lazy assholes who don't write the equation in a non-ambiguous way. It has more to do with communication and language than math itself.

It's 9 for anyone who's not retarded.

Hey, a sane person! Have an internet hi-five.

6÷2(2+1)
brackets first
6÷2(3)
division tiem
6÷2=3
finish tiem
3(3)
answer tiem

So tell me Sup Forums, where did I go wrong, cause this is wrong as fuck.

I assume you live in the US if youre education is that shit

the only right answer is nervegas

You didn't. 9 is correct.

well for one you turned it into an equation in the middle of the process

trips of truth

youtube.com/watch?v=mFRIJpU1k3A

>Talks shit about other people's education
>"youre education"

But it's not user

Ooh, where and how? Example me plz

It's not, and your dubs don't make it so

-- • (1+2)

-- • (3)

6 3
-- • --
2 1

---- = 9

6÷2 (2+1) If you use pemdas:
You do parentheses first. (2+1)=3
So you get 6÷2×3. Then you do multiplication and division from left to right. So 6÷2=3. You end up with 3×3=9. 9 is the correct answer.

That's fancy as fuck, kudos for the layout. Good often do you leddit? At least all day?

this dude gets it

6/2(2+1)
6/4+2
6/6=1
1 is the correct answer

Had to put it like this... easier to understand instead of using the same old symbols

[;\frac{6}{2}(2+1)\\3(2+1)\\6+3\\9;]
LaTeX

/thread