Serious question, personal experience with anti depressants? ways you've beaten depression?

Serious question, personal experience with anti depressants? ways you've beaten depression?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KFah8Wk9Dy4&t=11s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Best way to beat depression is to kill yourself.

we all will have depression at sometime in our lives .. you are not alone ..

They helped me a lot. Side effects sucked but was better than depression.
Other than drugs, try working out, eating healthier, socializing more. Might sounds stupid but that works for most people.

Get fit, start working out and change yourself for the better, a healthy body equals a healthy mind.

k op ignore everyone else here.

I thought I was depressed and I took zoloft/sertralien for 6 months. Realized it was making my social anxiety worse, and making me tired, hungry, and blunting my sex drive and emotions. I stopped taking it and realized my problem wasn't a chemical one, I just had a difficult childhood and had cultivated many negative and self defeating habits.

The only thing that is helping me is mindfulness, being aware of whats going on in my mind body and emotions, and unwiring the bad habits through that.

Drugs won't help you if you arent chemically imbalanced.

After a shitty break up I hit rock bottom and had 50 mg of Sertraline a day. It got me through user and after six months I'm coming off as I've managed to come out the other side.

Going cold turkey on them is shit but they worked.

Best way to end depression: stop thinking about the things that make you depressed. Get out, get active, quit sitting around all day thinking about what makes you depressed. Occupy your mind with something you like, meet new people with a career that allows you to travel. I've been depressed and suicidal before but it's beatable. Oh try to kick the drug habit, I was addicted to oxycontin. It's fun at first but just makes you worthless after awhile.

they only numb your feelings and make you like a zombie. they are only good when you want to kill yourself or some shit like that.

dont worry, you will accostome to depression. embrace nihilism, life has not purpose, there is no meaning, we are all gonna to die. Just do things that make you feel good, try not to think too much and just try to enjoy life until you die.

Also want to add, improving your life is supposed to be uncomfortable because it takes you out of your comfort zone. You have to cultivate coping mechanisms to deal with that discomfort and just do it. Again, mindfulness is what helped me push myself to do the right things because I was able to be honest with myself and catch out bad habits that had been ingrained in my mind over years of mindlessness.

I've been given several, all fucking suck. Some made me feel dead, others made my heart race and almost pass out, probably fucked my blood pressure. Just get Xanax if you can, but it is a double edged sword and easily abused.

Antidepressants don't treat or cure depression in any way at all. They just zombiefy you so that you won't be a burden to those around you. The cure for depression is twofold, one not getting too bored or frustrated in your endeavors and two having a supportive network of friends and family to help you with those endeavors.

Problem is, we live in a time where everyone is so self involved, they can't be bothered to get involved in one another's lives. So they guzzle their chemical leash.

DO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAXDO NOT TAKE XANAX

Depression mood is different from depression illness user

Well Xanax > almost all mainstream anti-depressants. But if OP can solve depression without any meds, that is better. All drugs come at a cost, and there is no "only good effects" pill. That's why I said it is a double edged sword. All drugs require you to pay a price.

The thing is OP is most likely not clinically depressed and just thinks hes depressed liek I did. Taking xanax will jsut gloss over his problems. Dealing with them directly and finding other ways to cope is the better option.

>personal experience with anti depressants?
They fucked me up x10 more than the actual depression. There's a reason people go postal after changing their meds
>ways you've beaten depression?
Depression can't ever be beaten but it can be kept at bay through fulfilling activities such as working out and having a good job

I agree with that. He probably needs to talk with someone. Meds arent a stand alone answer, but to help you cope while you recover in other ways. No one taught me that when I was younger, just forced meds in me.

Shut up pussy

Cool picture

really liked the chemical leash comment. guzzle away the feels

fuck off asshole
drugs are great

I took Fluoxetin for a while against a serious OCD, helped me insanely well. Also helped me to be a lot more upfront, open and social.
Literally gave a lot less fucks about anything, but not in a bad way.

I did get faster drunk tho, but aside from that, no other side effects for me.

Would recommend for any kind of social anxiety or OCD related problems, combine with a therapy for best effect.

In addition to not taking medication, I want to backup what everyone is saying about exercise and diet. Cardio and diet did have an impact on changing my mood, but the biggest change was without a doubt lifting weights. Maybe it was the extra testosterone, but lifting weights just made me feel more confident and manly. I had more positive emotions and less negative emotions. That coupled with mindfulness is OPs answer to solving his pseudo depression.

See, this guy is the perfect example of someone who NEEDS to take medication. He has OCD, which means he has low serotonin. So he's chemically imbalanced and only medication can help him.

Drugs are great for low lifes and losers. It's the perfect way to not only never change, but make your life worse at the same time.

This

I beat depression by quitting anti-depressants.
They made me way fucking more depressed, took me 10 long years to realise that's what was making me worse.
In the year since I quit:
>No more misery.
>No more negativity.
>No more suicidal thoughts 1000 times a day.
>No more nausea/vomiting.
>Nowhere near as much restless leg syndrome.
>I can feel feelings again.
It solved so many problems just quitting them.
Medication works for some people, but if your situation doesn't improve after a year it's probably best to come off them.

Antidepressants made my social anxiety much worse. I developed a head tremor when holding eye contact with strangers on zoloft. So I went from being awkward and nervous around people to being terrified of people. Makes me think that all the research stating social anxiety is caused by TOO MUCH serotonin holds some weight.

This. It always depends on the person, the problems and how one reacts to the anti-depressants.
Some can get by without and just a therapy (and yea, getting fit or getting more social and be therapy enough in some cases), others may need anti-depressants, but there are hell a lot diverse ones, some can make it worse, some will make it better, depending on your body and brain.

wait, aren't you supposed to not drink or smoke weed under antidepressants and/or anxyolitics?
I thought mixing those up could get you killed, which is why I've gone sober for +6months now

Might be possible as well.
In my case it helped me to be a lot more carefree, but if social anxiety can actually be caused by too much serotonin it will obviously only get worse by anti-depressants that create an even higher amount of serotonin (but I do believe that there are also some kinds that reduce serotonin)

>Just get Xanax
Yeah don't do that if you can possibly help it.

I think it probably depends on which kind you take.
With Fluoxetin it has been fine, but it had a similar effect that you would get when you mix painkillers and booze.
You get drunk hella fast. Nearly doubled the effect (for example I drank one beer and it felt like I drank two in the same time). Probably pretty unhealthy tho.

It makes you get drunk faster. My hangovers were much worse emotionally though. Lots more anxiety. You wont die but you run the risk of serotonin sickness which can kill you. You shouldnt drink if youre on zoloft tbh, it does defeat the purpose. Weed can be fine, just pay attention to how you react.

I dont know about anxyolitics though.

I had to try many different medicines until I found something that worked. Many of them made my rage worse.

Whatever the fuck is in EffexorXR, it makes me feel like a normal human being. I don't feel great all the time. I don't feel like a zombie. I just feel ok.

Finding a doctor who is going to listen to your physical symptoms and work through the meds until you find the right medicine is the important part.

>Serious question, personal experience with anti depressants? ways you've beaten depression?

Stay the fuck away from pills. Dead serious about that. Avoid those brainfuck pills.

Eat right, avoid sugar/sweeteners, get some sleep, get some exercise... keep yourself busy, like clean your house/apartment/room whatever. Read a book, go for a walk, wash your car. I like to eat hot spicy food if I need to process some particularly fucked up thing in my life, hot spicy food makes me feel happy. Happier.

I know that weed now gets me much more high than when I'm off my Zoloft, which could be bad for etreme cases of anxiety... Which is why I asked a friend for an Ativan. .5 (x2)
I feel very content and stabilized.
Comparing it to last year when I stayed off of all medications for over five months:
1. Time speeds up
2. Sleep comes easier (making time speed up)
3. An increased appetite
4. The ability to do an upper, downer, or trip and the next day feeling perfectly normal.

I'm currently taking unisedil 5mg a day for anxiety and paroxetine 20mg a day. My phsychologist advised me to stay away from weed as it can trigger extreme anxiety which can last up to 3 weeks (I did have a bad trip with some friends some months before starting meds).

I can handle drinking alcohol-free beer (though I kinda miss getting drunk), but I do miss smoking a blunt

Exercise, hobbies, self-discipline, gardening, cooking, exercise, etc. Those all helped me, bud.

Changing your diet a bit and exercising is a huge first step. Also helps to socialize a bit. Maybe try playing some sports at the park or getting into a game of DND at your local shop. These are just a few things that helped me, but there was no one single thing that did it.

Love you, bud.

I closed out of this so i dont know if you can tell I'm OP but thank you so much man.

No problem, brother. We're always here for you if you need to talk.

Anyone know where to get xanax in the UK?

well not all of us. there are a lot of shit people on Sup Forums, but find people who are actually capable of compassion and dont have a personality disorder and youre good to go.

Oh, yeah. There's always going to be some of that, but there are people that legit care on Sup Forums still. It's been like that for as long as I've been here... which is longer than I'd like to admit.

Maybe we should start a sort of support group discord for people like OP and other struggling anons that need help from outside of their social network or don't even have one due to anxiety, introversion, or w/e.

From most effective to least effective:

1. Consistent good sleep
2. Doing meaningful work
3. Psychedelics
4. Being a loner for a number of months before socializing regularly again turned out to be a great way to think things through for myself and get a better perspective on why some things are the way they are

Nowadays I'm much happier than before despite being incredibly jaded/cynical.

Lexapro works but it made me a zombie until I started to take it with modafinil.

That reminds me, for the second one, sometimes volunteering to help the less fortunate can really help to put things in perspective, plus it just feels good.

My SSRI experience has been overall positive. Struggled with depression my whole life but didn't realize my experiences weren't "normal" until my 20s. When I started it, I quickly became extremely ill. Vertigo, hot/cold flashes, upset stomach, no appetite, when I'd close my eyes in a dark room to try to sleep, I'd see shifting colors and patterns and feel like I was flying/spinning through the air. Had to sleep with the lights on. After a week of this I couldn't take it anymore and called my doctor, who suggested stopping, waiting a week, and starting with a half dose while slowly working my way back up to the full dose. I did that and ever since it's been a gradual change for the better.

So just know that if you try one kind of medicine and it doesn't work, try not to get discouraged. All brains are different and drugs affect us all differently. It can take a little experimenting to find what's right for you. I was lucky by finding a suitable fit so quickly.

Spicy food releases endorphins.

It's Sup Forums. Nobody can prove they are op.

Anti-depressants affect everyone differently. Don't let the side effects scare you from trying them. If you find one doesn't work for you, then you keep trying different ones until you find one that works for you. And don't be afraid of xanax and other benzos either. I had crippling anxiety and xanax helped me so much with socializing and handling stress. It's also great for helping with sleep.

It's best to avoid Anti-depressants. But if you must take them please do it under the guise that it is a temporary fix to get you over a bad spot. Have a timetable to taper off the anti-depressant in less than a year preferably under 6 months. Try to avoid doctors that will pressure you to stay on them. Understand that they are a psychogenic and will alter your brain chemistry and this will have some wanted and some unwanted effects. Not all but most people have a certain degree of withdrawal after they're done.

OP Unless you have major depression Ie Literally can't get out of bed. Don't take antidepressants. Fix your life You won't find happiness in a pill it will take hard work but it will be the most fulfilling thing you ever do.

I was unemployed for months after being off meds. Went on meds and got a job that week. Shrug.

Unemployed again now though. need a new line of work.

You can't "beat" or "cure" real depression. You can manage it and learn to live with it, but it doesn't ever really go away

My doctor said that there were studies done showing that just simply walking 30 minutes a day was as effective as taking antidepressant medication. Now just imagine what would happen if you went over to the reddit fitness board and used the knowledge in their stickies to create a workout routine more effective than what most people do?

Exercise and a healthy diet WILL obliterate your depression. The fitness reddit is much better than /fit/ here. /fit/ would just troll you and be mean to you and their advice isn't as good as reddit fitness.

>You won't find happiness in a pill
This, but the thing about anti-depressants that a lot of people don't get is that they aren't supposed to be magic pills that fix everything. They only make you feel JUST good enough to get out of bed and fix your problems on your own. Anti-depressants are a tool to find the solution, not the solution itself.

This do not Take benzodiazepines like Xanax klonopin Diazepam.... Benzo withdrawal is hell on Earth and will last you up to 2 years.

Pot was the solution for me

If that's what gets you off.

Much better is being an unapologetic capitalist who's willing to work in unfashionable industries that the poor depend on for jobs/products/services. Then you can build up self-sustaining institutions that improve people's lives at a much larger scale. As a bonus you get at least somewhat rich and get a lot more power to influence other people to improve things.

I get off thinking about things like logistics networks and how to deliver food cheaply enough to save people money over going out to eat, and how to do so much more generally than just overpriced amerilard pizza.

Antidepressants made me feel like i was constantly in a mental haze. Granted, it made me more active, less worried about what people thought about me, and overall just in better moods. However, i literally had diahrea 3-4 days a week. I would suggest taking them ONLY if you're at a rock bottom and can't force yourself to take care of responsibilities and exercise. I think proper diet, exercise, meditation and productivity are a far better solution to depression than medication, but i understand sometimes its nearly impossible to get yourself to do these things while depressed.

Tldr; my advice is only use them if you have to. And if you do, use it to form healthier habbits and wean yourself off them.

I've been self medicating my depression and alcohol abuse disorder with suboxone for the last 3 months. I go to work every day now and I don't get stressed out while I'm there, and I generally feel more health than ever since I started. Additionally, my tolerance ahas't seemed to rise much at all during this time period. Taking more of the drug doesn't really have any positive effect so I seem not to crave it at all, and I only take as much as I need to barely notice I've taken it. Everyone should check this drug out. I haven't had a sip if liquour or beer since june of this year, and I wouldn't be able to say that without this drug.

I wouldn't recommend this. I was in a rut of depression when I started smoking weed. I didn't really feel depressed anymore, I felt okay with sitting around and not doing anything with my life. Then when I stopped smoking so much suddenly I realized how shitty I felt and how much time/money I had wasted on it.

Weed is great for forgetting your problems, but so good for fixing them.

No SSRI'S ever worked. Wellbutrin seemed to have a positive effect at just 150mg per day. Was on it for a few months but got taken off after a seizure although I don't think it was related to the wellbutrin. Currently on 1200mg 3x daily of Gabapentin which is probably the most helpful med I've been prescribed for anxiety/depression but far from the best I've tried. Currently self medicating with 16g 3x daily Kratom. It is easing my depression very well and helping with energy and anxiety some.

>but so good for fixing them.
meant "not so good" but you probably got that

Oh yeah, and drinking coffee regularly.
Despite withdrawals, it still leaves me overall happier in general when I keep to a habit of drinking it every day.

>Pot was the solution for me

This. Cannabis is a gift from God. Get high. Stay high.

Weed or going to a gym are the best ways IMO

Seriously man..stay off antidepressants and go to gym..get sunlight every day..tell people to fuck off if they try to give you shit or talk down to try and you'll be free of depression in no time

Bullshit.

Ive been working out a year and half now. Imnin great shape. I had a terrible episode last week of derealization thst is still going on now.

I am just on buspar though...guess ill go back on effexor.

And never come off.

Jesus christ the mind is a scary thing. The hell it can make you live in.

Not ganna off myself faggots...thsts what they wnat you to do...fucking jews.

I don't know about this Rick.

found the beta virgin

I don't agree with this ..I think it can go away completely given time and the right mindset

Are you prescribed it? I've often wondered if something like that would help me.

Oops sorry I guess I can't read.

no, my buddy is an ex heroin addict. he's on a permanent regimen of suboxone, but doesn't go to a doctor for it. It's really not a "moreish" drug. It's a mild uplift in mood paired with suppressed pain and fatigue. I'm a carpenter, so I'm always in a moderate amount of pain just from wear and tear. This stuff really helps me focus at work and I generally feel more okay with doing what I do, with less thoughts of giving up and going home to post on Sup Forums.

The second medication I was prescribed helped a lot, but I in a really bad place at that point. It reduced the intense stress and obsessive thoughts (of suicide) that I was experiencing so I was able to move around normally and talk at a reasonable pace.

They can work and depression is a treatable illness. To beat it though, it usually takes treatment from multiple approaches (therapy, CBT, medicine for example)

>CBT
Cock and ball torture helps depression?

I take a LOT of kratom every day. It just sort of snaps me out of that constant feeling of something being wrong, or at least I guess that's one way to put it. It's kinda inconvenient though. Plus I have to take way more than most people. It would be cool to try suboxone but I doubt I'll ever get ahold of any.

How long have you been on the kratom? I take a lot too and it's actually turned into quite the addiction. And it doesn't help my depression at all. Pretty sure I've made myself a lot worse.

take adderall youtube.com/watch?v=KFah8Wk9Dy4&t=11s

personally i tried changing to a healthier diet and going to the gym at least 4 times a week.
that helped a lot even though i wasn't depressed about how i was physically.
also went to the doctors for anti depressants.

I had been on it for about 4 months then took a break for a bit over a month. Started back up last week. It definitely is an addiction but when I only self medicate with kratom it's pretty harmless.

Ah I've been on it almost two years now with no breaks. Just be careful man. That's all I was getting at.

I tried taking 5-HTP for a bit but they started giving me derealization so had to stop it

Welbutrin 300 Pristiq 50
Modafanil 200
It's magic for adhd-depression-anxiety combination when ADHD meds make you anxiety instead

How much do you take? At this point I've come to terms with the fact that I'm always going to be using something to fill the void and that anything a doc will give me is going to be inadequate. Kratom is definitely addictive but if it helps me feel better and stay away from benzos and stims then I figure I might as well use it.

Like 15 to 20 tsp a day is where I was at but I tapered down to 4 recently and I'm already back up to 8-10. I need to just bite the bullet and taper down to zero and not fuck with it anymore. Also yeah I used it to quit drinking. I was a major league alcoholic for like 15 years.

i get aggressive and violent on weed. so your 420 logic dosnt always work. faggot.

Do you notice any side effects from your long term use? I take kratom about 3 months ago daily and can't find good information about long term use side effects on the internet. Some people say it causes liver damage thats why im trying not to get in addiction

I don't know if it causes liver damage or not but like I said I think it's worsened my depression. There are certainly worse things to be hooked on but I'd still advise caution.

I find taking cymbalta when I need to really helps. Otherwise I would sleep 15 hours a day and jsut be a sad cunt all the time.

>3 years as a shut-in

>10 years feeling nothing at all

>dropped out of college

>got fired from my job

>cut all ties with my former friends or didn't bother staying in contact with them

>self-harmed

>abused drugs and alcohol

>considered suicide

and then literally all that I had to do was exercise, eat well, and get some sunlight. I am back to normal now.

As it turns out, sitting in the dark inside all day long and getting mad at the internet while eating bags of cheese an drinking energy drinks is not healthy for you - for your body or your mind.

I can guarantee you that 99% of people on this website would cure their "anxiety" and "depression" if they got off the computer once in a while.

I've had depression for about 3-4 years now and I can't say they've worked for me 100% but they've certainly made a difference.

I've tried 4-5 different kinds now, and I'm currently on 150mg of venlafaxine (I could be spelling that wrong) a day, 15mg of mirtazapine before I sleep and 20mg of propranalol if and when I need it. Ever since I've been put on the venlafaxine, I've barely had to take my propranalol, so my palpitations/panic attacks have gone down drastically. First couple of weeks when they upped my dosage, I felt fuckin brilliant, but its kinda tailed out now. I have no energy, I still get anxious when I go outside and I've got no motivation to do fucking anything but listen to music. But, I rarely think about killing myself any more, plus now my family members know about it, I have an excuse not to go see them/go to family parties, so thats a massive positive

All in all, I've spoken to a lot of people, sometimes the pills work, sometimes they do a little bit and sometimes they do absolutely nothing. You gotta go see a doctor and let them decide what the best course of action is. I'm assuming you're going through some shit right now user and I wish you all the best. Good luck

Some of us have jobs faggot.

>able to hold down a job

Nice "depression". Do you have a wife too?

Didn't notice any physical effects other than weight loss. I did go to the hospital after using it heavily with other drugs for a few months and my blood work was fine.

Depression for 12 years. A good trip and a steady stream of microdose acid helped me sort my shit out. I went from a NEET to the most confident guy with in every room with a beaming smile... wtf. I still have moments but they last a couple of days, not years.

No, I'm divorced. The point is it's different for everyone. We don't all experience exactly what you did.

>The point is it's different for everyone.

So why are you trying to impress me with your job?