So, I want to get into more electronic music, but I have no idea where to start. It's not like when you're a kid...

So, I want to get into more electronic music, but I have no idea where to start. It's not like when you're a kid, and you start off just listening to whatever dad-rock is thrown in your fat fuckin' face.

Pic related, this is now one of my all time favorite albums. I heard it, I'm in love, I fucking love this album. What's something similar? Or what do you recommend based on this? I'm looking for stuff that isn't just shallow, expendable dance music. Wanting something more deep than that.

And wtf is even happening in electronic music right now? It's definitely not relevant enough in the mainstream for me to know. Last big thing I heard about was Flume's newest album, and Random Access Memories by Daft Punk. And that shit's already considered old news now.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tfyR4pnTXjo
youtube.com/watch?v=FseYuqzoLSQ
youtube.com/watch?v=nt5T95_88ss
youtube.com/watch?v=Xw5AiRVqfqk
youtube.com/watch?v=AhMukHbUYJ0
youtube.com/watch?v=0Z4cLmbw6q0
youtube.com/watch?v=baKA1B5Ymuo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_Intelligence_(series)
youtube.com/watch?v=dqyfoYnZdVE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Just go straight to the best
youtube.com/watch?v=tfyR4pnTXjo

A very obvious recommendation is Sweet Trip - Velocity:Design:Comfort (first track is very glitchy, after that it's more relaxed)

This is good too, although it's more "band format" than what I typically think of when the term "electronic music" is brought up. That shouldn't keep you from it though, although it's length should, if anything. I do find that to be a flaw, but I also admittedly am not as patient as a lot of people are. This was the song someone on Sup Forums linked to me that convinced me to check it out.
youtube.com/watch?v=FseYuqzoLSQ

Electronic music is a huge umbrella, there are many different scene.

Try this

Thanks dudes.

Also, any thoughts on what's happening in electronic music? What's the big thing in the genre? Is anything happening?

I know that. But I literally know nothing, my dude.

Seefeel
youtube.com/watch?v=nt5T95_88ss

Eh. More intense and mind-bending than I'm looking for mate. I don't hate it, just not what I'm looking for.
Dead Cities for reference. Something with more atmosphere. Maybe some guitars thrown in too. Or even a mix of drum machines with analog drums.

Gottsching - E2-E4

Honestly Aphex Twin is a really good entry point into "electronic music" (using inverted commas to signify I'm aware of the fact that it's a huge umbrella)
Listen to his catalogue, then branch off into more obscure artists based upon what you like from him

Thanks for the recc mate. I'm liking SeeFeel at the moment too.

Again, not really looking for anything with any kind of driving pumping beat, is dancy, or anything like that. I'm looking for something more textural, maybe a little more chilled out, and atmospheric.

youtube.com/watch?v=Xw5AiRVqfqk
nigga

Why did you assume Aphex was anything otherwise? His discography goes everywhere from techno, jungle, ambient and house
Check these one's out

youtube.com/watch?v=AhMukHbUYJ0
youtube.com/watch?v=0Z4cLmbw6q0
youtube.com/watch?v=baKA1B5Ymuo

Oh okay. Well, I'm liking Heliosphan. Thanks mate.

Ambient Works sounds a little more up my alley too. Thanks

if you want the actual ambient stuff listen to SAWII

If you want to get further into electronic music you need to know your genres; that stuff is called ambient techno, check these records out for more like it
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_Intelligence_(series)

You'll probably like Nathan Fake - Drowning in a Sea of Love.
youtube.com/watch?v=dqyfoYnZdVE

Analogue Bubblebath, Digeridoo and Xylem Tube are his only dance records, they're different from the vast majority of his discography

Love it. Thank you.