Comp sci general

comp sci general

what's your favorite language?

pic related

For general purpose Python,
For elegance Clojure,
For Speed C.

I only know java but I'm learning C now. I'm guessing yours is python?

Different languages are better for different tasks, why bother picking a favorite

rolling
[email protected]

No offense, but I kind of hate python. The whitespace thing is kind of a giant pain in the dick, especially when cutting and pasting code, or commenting out to troubleshoot. And the version 2/3 thing sucks. I like that you can whip shit up quick, and there's ton of code to take from the net, but those two things kill me.

Agreed

I prefer C++

APL

Is this a sound investment?

REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE-STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL

I am Dr. Bakare Tunde, the cousin of Nigerian Astronaut, Air Force Major Abacha Tunde. He was the first African in space when he made a secret flight to the Salyut 6 space station in 1979. He was on a later Soviet spaceflight, Soyuz T-16Z to the secret Soviet military space station Salyut 8T in 1989. He was stranded there in 1990 when the Soviet Union was dissolved. His other Soviet crew members returned to earth on the Soyuz T-16Z, but his place was taken up by return cargo. There have been occasional Progrez supply flights to keep him going since that time. He is in good humor, but wants to come home. In the 14-years since he has been on the station, he has accumulated flight pay and interest amounting to almost $ 15,000,000 American Dollars. This is held in a trust at the Lagos National Savings and Trust Association. If we can obtain access to this money, we can place a down payment with the Russian Space Authorities for a Soyuz return flight to bring him back to Earth. I am told this will cost $ 3,000,000 American Dollars. In order to access the his trust fund we need your assistance.

Consequently, my colleagues and I are willing to transfer the total amount to your account or subsequent disbursement, since we as civil servants are prohibited by the Code of Conduct Bureau (Civil Service Laws) from opening and/ or operating foreign accounts in our names.

Needless to say, the trust reposed on you at this juncture is enormous. In return, we have agreed to offer you 20 percent of the transferred sum, while 10 percent shall be set aside for incidental expenses (internal and external) between the parties in the course of the transaction. You will be mandated to remit the balance 70 percent to other accounts in due course.

Kek

I use logo for pretty much everything I do.

For general purpose R,
For elegance R,
For Speed C++.

You wanna way in on that, bud?

You a statistical analyst or something?

I agree. programming languages are just that; programming languages. Computer science as a whole on the other hand is one hell of a beast.
I don't really have a favorite programming language but I do have favorite algorithms and data structures.

Hacks

C#, javascript, python
i also use php but it sucks

Objective-C.

Apart from favorite programming languages why don't we talk about our favorite algorithm? I have a soft spot for Breadth First Search in particular because of how simple it is. Plus the O(V+E) complexity is pretty nice too

i love whitespace!!

c++ was my baby for a while though.

What are they?

C is the best, with a light sprinkling of assembly for when you've got to write your bootstrap code.

Pythons pretty good I guess for automating tasks I suppose.

Clojure for data science and hobby projects
Ruby for web development
C for speed

befunge

Old C programmer. Now all I do i some occasional PL/SQL. Yes its a real language.

Perl because I don't like other people reading my code

>Structured Query Language is a real language

Who woulda thunk it?

> C is the best with a light sprinkling of assembly
Hi 1993, haven't seen you around lately

Personally I like Clojure and other lisps but I think it's really just for fucking around and writing simple web shit

Scala is a great language if you want a real future in software engineering. It's growing a large functional programming community and its libraries are getting very close to Haskell. On the other hand it's a super concise and practical version of Java with a tonne of world class libraries and frameworks.

Spark and Akka and others can be put to work in the most demanding ML and RT analytics applications

Python is for children

Depends on what I'm doing, but usually it's python.

Any tips om learning python? Im currently bought a full stack web dev course off udemy and im looking into getting python once im done

I was referring to the PL part. I don't expect a lot of people to have even heard of it.

Anyone here do stuff with VeriLog or VHDL? I am thinking about getting an FPGA devkit.

favorite is subjective, certain languages are better suited for certain tasks. javascriipt and php are mine.

i replaced PL/SLQ with entity framework and lambda expressions
never did anything complicated with it though

I wrote some source code in many programming languages, but ANSI C is my favourite. It's minimalistic, fast, system and machine level, elegant and clear. I like it so much that I didn't have any motivation to learn C++.

>forgot the picture

I have no idea what that even means.

can anyone support it or are you the only one who knows that?

Great thing about PL/SQL is that its very common and easy to follow.

so many C coders here

what do you do with it? i just use it for arduino

I like one-time pad, because it's a simple but perfectly secure encryption scheme. Fuzzy C-Means is also pretty cool.

I wrote most of the programs for uni in it, from algorithms, data structures, through GPGU, concurrent and parallel programs to image processing (color image segmentation). ANSI C is pure power.

HPstr
...you've probably never heard of it...

FPGA guy here. The tools are much better nowadays. When I started it was a shitshow. Checkout Bluespec System Verilog.

Me too! There are also some old APIs that are written in C, so you might have to use a bit when working with them. Any pictures of projects?

using java for AP comp sci
probably being autistic
help me Sup Forumsros

Dude I'm trying to work through this but it is wearing me down. I guess I just don't know enough about operating systems or compilers.

ok

what language to make a keylogger in? im having trouble passing inputs from anything but the shell

Java is a brilliant language, I'm sad that it didn't take over the world like they predicted it would. By far my favorite, fuck pointers

Baby steps, iteration is king. By the way, I didn't start with this book, it's great when you already know a bit of programming in C.

Damn it's been a while since I've used java. Have you been taught printf () yet?

C

Java is the second most popular language according to TIOBE index and it's most popular in IT companies, so you shouldn't worry. Also, the variables for objects in java are reference types, they are somewhat pointers.
>null pointer exception

python and assembly. I have two favourites.

You don't have a space after "Hi" dipshit

Thanks for the tip.

The problem with that book is that it isn't for teaching one programming, it's for teaching one C. It was written for programmers coming from B, Pascal, and a few other languages that already had some knowledge of programming. That's why it tends to present things like "To do this in C, do XYZ" but rarely talks about when you might need to do that or why it is useful. I think it is an excellent reference text for C, but I don't think it is a very good introductory book for people with no programming experience.

Of course, just more intuitive than * and &

just been taught println and the very least of Scanner
I believe im having trouble with the import statement

Ruby

close your scanner. keyboard.close()

keyboard.close(); at the end you autist

i started building my own shitty roomba with an esp8266
now i'm trying to learn more about SLAM (simultaneous localization and mapping) because it was very dumb when navigating my flat

...real men create their own language, including compiler...

Even tho some of the first work on compilers was done by a woman?

Look up the import statement to be sure

Neat! Are you planning on making a fighting robot?

julia and c++
I work with cfd

PHP for when I gotta do something quick and dirty.
Java for serious projects.

THis is how you get a string input in java??

Bahahahahha

just wait until you need a switch case statement or a ternary operator...
there will be no mercy upon your soul

fucking bashing my head against the moniter tryina figure this shit out

just started a job not too long ago writing web apps with angular2 and node, have zero experience with front-end

fuck javascript hard, I miss java

As you get better, you will realize that language doesn't really matter.

After you've learned how to program, learning a new language isn't very difficult.

i just want it to clean the floor for now

user put keyboard.close() at the fucking end

...i think you mean cum pilers...

"For general purpose R,"
right...
never heard of pandas in python,my nigga?

C.
C++ if you want a pretty interface and things.

agree but most fags here are just students, hence the emphasis on C or assembler as their favorite language

using(var disposableVariable = new ClassImplementingIDisposable)
{
// do stuff
}

The reason we put keyboard.close() at the end is in order to avoid resource leak

Lmao

can python pass by msvcrt?

a = 42 if someCondition else 0

Visual Basic

I like to laugh a little when people say "C cuz it's fast"
Haven't they ever heard about premature optimization?

If shit runs slow, we'll throw more hardware at the problem. If hardware gets too expensive, we'll consider C

thank you my fellow Sup Forumstards you just saved me a monitor

What I fucking hate about C# is the retarded "braces take an entire line to themselves" convention. Makes code so hard to read sometimes, and so long.

"But user, it's not mandatory". Well, yes, it is if you're working on a team project.

Whitespace is your friend.

brainfuck

calm down champ, is not that big of a deal

Braces on an entire line kind of allows you to easily draw your finger down to see where the braces end.. idk

I'd go more with 1986 or later and I get my console over RS-232, the OS I work on has shit video support. Such is the life doing embedded OS programming.

It does feel pretty good though once you get a card to boot from scratch having just the architecture manual and the datasheets from the manufacturer.

I prefer them too

Do any of yall feel like when you use recursion like you're just jacking off all over yourself? Or is it just me?

>O(V+E)
>Oy ve
Good goyim

When I started out, yeah it certainly felt that way. After a while though you will get used to it. It helps to try and draw out the recursion tree visually to see what your code does sometimes at least for really small test cases

Look up Vivado, literally makes programming boards with verilog 2ez.

Gives you great visuals of your logic, debugging before programming the board, a decent IDE, highly recommend.

Kek

R langauge is just horrible
I love the packages and all but the language has to change

using .net core and react at work
php with wordpress for my hobby websites
C for IoT with arduino

i want to learn python for machine learning with tensorflow because is so hot right now

as fast as c++ is i mostly get lost in details, i like java more because you can just write down your idear without thinking too much about it

I like whichever language I am paid money to write.