Should someone be considered a pedophile if they have a powerful...

Should someone be considered a pedophile if they have a powerful, distressing desire to cuddle with and otherwise show affection to children, but not to do anything sexual? I mean, if it's causing serious problems in his life, it must be some kind of psychological disorder, right? But is pedophilia the right word?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/5ww2JSZftfg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

wanna categorize asexual pedophiles?

or are they just in denial and are just pedophiles?

Are you attracted sexually to children at all? Because while the etymology, "philia," means "friendly relationship," the psychological definition is sexual.

/thread

I would totally cuddle that girl.

With my cock in her mouth.

If you know what I mean.

I mean I feel the same way about cats and I don't want to fuck them so you're good. Just don't cuddle with kids that aren't your own or related because that's uncomfortable

that was what i was thinking of responding to op, but i'm not clear whether or not asexual people have preferred age/gender of partners or if they're simply not attracted to anything.

i mean, i'm as much of a pedophile as it gets, but i've reached a point where sex is really far from the mind and all i really want is to have intimacy and closeness in the vein of cuddling. that isn't to say i wouldn't want to have sex, but sex is just one element of intimacy, and what is truly desired is intimacy, where sex is but one way to achieve that.

i understand. i used to work as a mall santa to fulfill. then one girl peed on me. so killed her and now i hate kids.

i dont know what you mean. I need you to go into graphic untutored detail to describe this foreign concept

Asexual pedophiles? That maybe sounds like a useful term. I don't know. Have to think about it. The current diagnosis of pedophilic disorder necessitates sexual attraction. It's in the DSMV. Would asexual pedophilia even make sense? How do we distinguish between sexual physical urges and other physical urges? Plenty of "sex acts" do not involve penetration or genitalia. How do we know what the difference is between hugging a child for sexual pleasure and hugging one for some other kind of pleasure?

the state of psychological understanding pedophilia is a joke and textbook definitions should be taken with a heap of salt

GO KILL YOURSELF YOU PIECE OF SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, there's the issue of sexuality being a spectrum of desire that includes emotional intimacy and other things. Very difficult to define.

I think the diagnosis is very sensible... when it actually applies to the patient. I intuitively know that there is a distinct difference between a conventional pedophile and the type of person I'm speaking about, but I'm not sure how to really define it. Both are having distressing symptoms involving urges to have physical contact with prepubescent children.

Or they are just parents.

I wonder who's behind this one....

i've never heard of the type of person you are talking about. it just sounds like pedophilia to me. it just sounds like how i feel minus my sexual feelings.

the only other type of person i know of who is distressed by feelings about prepubescent children are people with POCD which is just an instance of obsessive compulsive disorder where the person has intrusive thoughts where they are terrified and obsessed that they might be a pedophile, even though they actually aren't.

I'm not talking about me. I'm a psychology student, and I'm referring to someone I know. I don't mind kids, but I can live without them.

Pffft. You're probably the fucking Jew.

he's probably in denial or afraid, reasonably so, to admit the sexual aspects of his feelings to another human being. you should not press him on this.

It's called wanting to be a father, user.

Yeah, I'm thinking that might have something to do with it. Sometimes our instinctive drives come out in awkward ways that society just doesn't facilitate though.

forgot pic to include my reaction

>psychology student

don't you have a book faggot? why don't you ask your professor?

but yes is pedophilia is the right word because thats how it starts. Ironically almost all pedos swear they would never hurt a hair on their little heads or do anything to distress them in any way- only problem is shit escalates and most violence happens out of guilt or as a cover up because most pedos can't actually keep it in their pants, even if all they wanted was a cuddle in the first place.

are you also a psychology student? that sounds like something they would teach young up and comers in psychology classes.

What you're describing sounds like someone who just wants a child of their own and to become a parent.
At some point in your life, most people have the desire to have a parent/child relationship where they are the parent.
Biology, man.

Yeah, any dude who shows paternal affection for children is often slandered as a "pedophile",

But it may literally not be pedophilia, because it is not a "sexual" attraction. Or is it? We're assuming it's not.

>student
not anymore I'm 43

pedos in denial

seeing children as anything other than annoying useless pests makes you a pedo

it "literally" never is according to the pedos, is what I'm saying. Not all but a lot just want some pics, to cuddle, it's nothing sexual they swear.

non-pedos don't need pics of random people's children and don't find any more attractive than pic related (furfags excepted)

I have a theory that normal middle aged men are not attracted to teens, but that's based on my own "I'd rather bang their mom" when I see anything under 30 in a bikini. non-scientific in other words.

is your profession still hostile towards pedophiles
your mandatory reporting requirements make you look like a fucking joke by the way. real professionals like lawyers don't have things like that.

so... seeing them as cheap labor makes me a pedo?

i spotted the jew

that guy is not a profession that guy is probably not even a student

and mandatory reporting is only in the case of impending harm, the same way a professional would have to report a legitimate risk of murder in any of his clients

>mandatory reporting is only in the case of impending harm
thats not how it works in practice. being attracted to children is enough reason for a therapist to report you. there is no need for impending harm. they believe the fact that you are a pedo means there is impending harm.

Nah, I think you're just projecting your dislike of children. It explains a lot actually.

This is not true, if you want to keep claiming it is show some references.

Hell if I know. I'm not going to be the one to bring this stuff up. Someone else can be the maverick who changes the academic community's understanding of pedophilia forever and is later the subject of Hollywood drama. I'm not touching that shit.

it's a shame that you an a lot of pedos think that, because it's far less likely you'll seek treatment out of fear.

i'm waiting for op to answer my question. but i dont think anything has changed in 5 years.

What your experiencing is the desire to be a father.

Pedophilia exclusively involves sexual attraction.

It might qualify as some other things (or might not, would need to go further), but by definition if there's no sexual attraction it's not pedophilia any more than obsessive thoughts about killing children.

It's more likely a attachment disorder combined with reaching the point where you really want kids.
I was pretty meh about little kids most of my life, but around 28 I really started wanting to have kids, and now really want to cuddle every little kid I see, just out of affection (not to the point where it's distressing though). and i'm not sexually attracted to them til the tits start popping.

All I can say is, both counselors and psychiatrists in my area routinely do receive confessions of sexual attraction from patients and do not report them to the police just for that.

I've always thought kids are awesome though. I was actually disappointed that Child Psychology 320 was actually Child Development and had fuckall nothing to do with actual psychology.

What is the gist of what it was actually about if not psychology?

its all for the best because there is no "treatment"
psychologists don't know a fucking thing about the subject and they are never trained to deal with it. the majority are too incompetent to care. only a handful will care, but they will be beside themselves figuring out what to do or say for you.

your mentality is why your profession is a fucking joke and why mental health issues are not taken seriously in society.

what kinds of sexual attractions, user? i'm talking about sexual attraction to children, not being a gay homo.

yeah regardless what you believe keeps you from seeking treatment, regardless of truth. personally I'm convinced you're a sick fucking pedo and reporting you would be absolutely warranted already.

youtu.be/5ww2JSZftfg

Watch This!!!!!

it depends on the psychiatrist. there's no legal duty to report if there's no impending harm (like admitting you want to fuck a kid you actually have access to and don't think you can control yourself), and if there's not impending harm, there's an ethical obligation to NOT report.
But psychologists/psychiatrists are human beings, and some of them are as rabidly anti-pedo as anyone else, and some can and do breach their confidentiality duty to get pedophile clients arrested, especially if theres something they know the cops can get them on like CP

so what you're saying is i'm not wrong. thank you.

I don't know man, I just find it kind of weird.Are you telling me you've never cuddled with your parents? It was the normal parental actions that I first thought with the OP, not pedophilia.

wait, how do you know that if they didn't break confidentiality?

confidentiality involves specific patients (or information detailed enough to infer a specific patient), they're allowed to talk about things in general anonymously

>your mentality is why your profession is a fucking joke and why mental health issues are not taken seriously in society.

Well, c'mon man. You can't just expect someone to risk social and career suicide by publishing reports challenging status quos that are as deeply entrenched as the whole pedophilia thing is in Western society right now. There has to be a social movement or something.

at 3 months they can't perceive depth
reds come before other color distinction
damn, I don't remember much more but it was all physiology and no psychology, or what little psychology was very little and late in the course and only normal procedural development.

It's been a damn long time and I mostly remember being heavily disappointed and basically checking out for anything but the bare minimum to ace the class.

why is it career suicide to address a serious mental health issue as a psychologist? thats the issue i am seeing, user. there is not going to be a social movement as long as you faggots are contributing to snuffing us out.

They do occasionally tell little anecdotes without using names. They even do that with other patients. Nobody has ever gotten slapped for that in my state.

you are wrong about "them" reporting everything
you're not wrong about you yourself getting reported for cause, because I gather you're pretty sick and you know it
am I wrong about that?

>I have a theory that normal middle aged men are not attracted to teens

your "theory" is factually incorrect.
they've done studies with penile plethysmographs, so there's no lying about, since it objectively measures blood flow to your dick.
something like 80% of men are attracted to 14-17, and around 40% 11-13 (where the girl has indicators of development, breasts/hips starting to show)

If it's not sexual, then it's a natural tendency to nurture. It just means you desire to be a parent. But if you did it (cuddled) with other people's children that would be fucking weird. So the only way to get what you need is to go have sex with a woman and have a kid. So yes men have biological clocks too just like women.

As long as youre not a child molester or abuser I don't see a problem with your desire. It's still a weird desire though.

hypothetically there is a quahog state not part of the united states where you can go to discuss your feelings with no possible course or possibility of reprisal. in addition several pedos known to you (but who don't know you're a pedo) have done so and nothing has happened to them. it's basically a free opportunity that cannot come back on you in any way.

now.

do you go?
what exactly do you go for?
what outcome of going would you consider "success"?

you're pretty wrong about that. i am not wrong about there being therapists who jump the fucking gun and report, as this user was putting it "all" therapists will not report, but i'm not taking a 10% chance of my life being trashed by some asshole who thinks he's a fucking hero, and neither should anybody else.