I don't get it. I don't think it's a bad album, but it seems like a step backwards...

I don't get it. I don't think it's a bad album, but it seems like a step backwards. Revolver is the closest the Beatles ever got to really being "experimental" and it sounds like a major step forward from Rubber Soul. This just sounds like conventional pop music. Title track is a banger, though.

Revolutionary studio techniques

Rubber Soul = Revolver > Magical Mystery Tour > Abbey Road > White Album > Sgt. Meme

Revolver had those too.

How is it conventional pop music?

And everyone prefers Revolver these days so it's fine

Revolver > MMT > Sgt. Pepper > Rain/Paperback Writer Singles > Rubber Soul > Let It Be (Naked) > Abbey Road > Yellow Submarine (???) > White Album

Why is this your first time listening to the Beatles?

Large portions of this album sound like Tin Pan Alley/Music Hall stuff to me.

>Within You Without You
>Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
>She's Leaving Home
>A Day in the Life
>sounds like "conventional pop music"

Have you ever listened to conventional pop music? Especially from the early 1960s?

The White Albums doesn't get enough love around here. It's objectively their best

I've literally grown up listening to them and can't do it anymore because I know all of the songs too well.

>Within You Without You
Literally "Love You 2"

>Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
Sounds like 19th Century carnival music.

>She's Leaving Home
Sounds like a decent ballad.

>A Day in the Life
This one is an exception.

If they tripped the fat, it would be one of the goats.

1. U.S.S.R 2. Dear Prudence 3. Glass Onion 4. Guitar Gently Weeps 5. Happiness is a Warm Gun 6. I'm So Tired 7. Blackbird 8. Helter Skelter 9. Martha My Dear 10. Good Night

Sgt Pepper's significance comes from the new studio techniques and the fact that it was the first real example of album oriented rock as opposed to single oriented rock

I think that honor goes to Rubber Soul. I'ts the first Beatles album that's good all the way through and I recall Brian Wilson saying Rubber Soul is what inspired him to make Pet Sounds an album with all good songs and no filler. I think Bob Dylan said somethign similar

Rubber Soul is one of my favorites, but I think it sounds a little less consistent than Revolver.

also Pet Sounds came out before Sgt. Pepper

MMT is better and more fun

>not liking rocky raccoon
pleb

If they had never released Penny Lane/SFF as singles, do you think a MMT/Sgt Pepper album would've worked? Would it have been the GOAT?

The white album is objectively their worst

o bah di oh ba dah life goes on yeah la la la la la kill yourself

That's a great song you plebian

Some fat should have been trimmed but that's too much fat gone
All I would cut is Wild Honey Pie, Why Don't We Do it in the Road, I Will, Julia, Mother Nature's Son, Long Long Long, and maybe Honey Pie.
I also would have included Hey Jude at the end of disc one so disc one had Paul's opus and disc two had John's opus (Revolution #9)

Yeah, maybe if you're 11 and listen to Disney songs too

>thinks all music has to be edgy and serious
>true pleb

lol is that supposed to be bad
Disney songs are good.
If you don't like the Pinocchio OST you're a pleb

>better pretend I know his taste in music and make fun of a straw man

eh I wasn't thinking the show tunes. I had "there's a hole in my bucket" and Aqua in mind. Pinocchio OST is OK tho

You can also spot a pleb if they think mmt is better than Sgt. Pep.

you're missing so much here it's incomprehensible

this. It's the contrarian option

it's almost like music & my hypothetical situation is subjective

It's just that I've heard Sgt. Pepper too many times desu

second half of MMT is untouchable

it's a bloody belter mate, what are you saying?

not contrarian at all. fool on the hill, strawberry fields, and walrus are better than any track on pepper

fair enough. not claiming MMT isn't spectacular, don't get me wrong.
and it's almost as if my response to your taste is also subjective (i used "incomprehensible" as a rhetorical device, i hope you don't think i really can't understand how someone would disagree with me)

Walrus is not even a good song

talk about contrarian opinions

who's the contrarian now?

Everyone who talks shit about this album should listen to the 50th anniversary remaster

Sgt. Pepper on digital releases has sounded so underwhelming until this came out

but sgt pepper utilized them better. sgt peper is also more commercially viable and easier to digest for the mainstream audience who was in full swing of the psych era. theres a little bit of everything on sgt pepper for everyone even grandma. revolver is very stark in contrast its so upfront and demanding, maybe too ahead of its time. it goes everywhere, even gets alittle spooky, definitely not for grandma.

it's not the production, i'ts the songwriting. most of it is great. but towards the end you have 3 in a row: When I'm 64, Lovely Rita, Good Morning Good Morning. just lame tracks. really spoils it and sets it easily behind especially Rubber Soul and Revovler which are their best imo, but also Abbey Road and MMT.

keep Sexy Sadie and it's closer to a 10/10

LET IT GOO

>lovely rita >lame

>rhyming Rita with metre

I'm a brit, but even I get rustled by this

That was intentional.

That's fine, but it doesn't make it less conventional sounding.

Sgt Peppers is their one album where every track really feels different from each other and all of them have some sort of gimmick or another. Revolver is much easier to digest due to having a lot of simpler pop between the crazy tracks, and is nowhere near as ambitious in the realm of studio effects, arrangements, and progression as Sgt Peppers is.

Revolver had more of a lasting influence, but Pepper made more of an immediate impact. The notion of an album being presented as a cohesive piece instead of a collection of songs was fairly novel in 1967, and helped give birth to progressive rock. In recent years as the focus has shifted back towards individual songs, Revolver has taken on more prominence.

Yeah but Revolver had stuff like Taxman, Dr. Robert and I Want to Tell You. While there are songs on Revolver (Eleanor Rigby/I'm Only Sleeping, For No One) better or close to better than any on Sgt. Pepper I think cohesively and aesthetically Pepper is better.

With Revolver you took notice that they were branching into experimental aspects, but with Sgt. Pepper you really felt it. Even if the inventiveness wasn't as pronounced as Tomorrow Never Knows, it's accessibility let it have the titanic impact it did. Because even then it was still far from ordinary. These were the guys who just 4 years earlier were donning suits and singing Twist and Shout to a horde of screaming girls now singing songs that sounded like they came out of a Victorian fairground or Alice in Wonderland.

As a statement of change in popular music and as a force that changed it it is unparalleled.