Calling a plumber: How the fuck do I change this washer?

Calling a plumber: How the fuck do I change this washer?

I can unscrew the cap on the very front but it doesn't seem to get me anywhere.

It looks like the metal bit at the back needs to unscrew but there's nothing at all to grip.

The part that says cold should unscrew. There is probably another screw behind it holding the assembly together.

Unscrew the front so with cold written on it.

There will be a screw in there to undo and remove the tap spindle.
Once off you can then remove the shroud cover the tap body.
From there you'll be able to remove the tap body with a set of spanners. Turning anti-clockwise.
The rubber washer will be on the end of the tap body.

Done. There just doesn't seem to be anything behind it.

I can't make the tap come off and I can't make anything behind it turn.

Google 'how to change a washer' you lazy cunt

I've watched about six youtubes and they always feature something clearly visible to unscrew.

Use a chainsaw

The cover over the tap body will unscrew, the trick is finding a method to grip it without fucking it, if it's been there a while it could be fun. Once that covers off you'll be able to undo the body of the tap and access the washer.

changed one similar on my rental unit.
Gotta take that "cone shaped" bit off the wall with a screwdriver or similar. But you will need grout to seal it all up again. under it will be another bit to unscrew

get yourself some channel lock pliers and twist that fucker til it comes loose
but youre gonna have to remove that handle to get the old one off and the new one on

Yes, heat might help

correct, chip some of the grout away and get that bit off. Under it is where you will see a part that you can clearly undo with a wrench.

Thanks guys, I'll get some tomorrow. Tits for your troubles.

Not familiar with this particular style but the section in the center of the handle is the valve stem. There should be a valve stem wrench that fits on it (that's what the flat parts {lands} are for) and should twist counter-clockwise to unseat the valve. Handle and valve will slide out from the body and the washer will be on the bottom. Installation is reverse of disassembly.

Make sure water is turned off to the faucet/tap or you will have lots of funny pics for your insurance company.

It's only a 'decorative' cap, It's not torqued down to hold anything. Just clean and dry it for a good grip

Alternatively, the escutcheon (part against wall) will unscrew. Although, it doesn't look like it comes apart that way. The sealant is just there to prevent seepage

>Make sure water is turned off
>14 posts in

Look like from here, you just pull the X knob straight out. Then, I bet the faceplate that's grouted against the tiles will pull out next (it may need to be unscrewed, can't be sure), revealing the valve body. You will need a large adjustable wrench or pliers to unscrew the valve body. If the valve is a cartridge style (one piece) you will need to replace the whole thing. If it has brass valve seats, you can either sand them perfectly flat on a whet stone or take them with you to the store to get the correct size new ones (recommended because they're cheap). Replace all rubber gaskets, put everything back together.

I think most people who try to help someone figure out a valve assume that person isn't completely retarded. I forgot where we are.

>Watched 6 YouTube video tutorials
>Got stuck after removing the handle
I don't think we can assume to much here user

Also, OP, before you put it back together clean all that old shit off the tiles with a scraper. Pick up a tube of silicone caulk for bathroom fixtures (I usually use clear, but I use white if that matches everything else) and lay a bead around the thinger after you reassemble so water doesn't get behind the tiles. You can get caulk in hand-squeeze tubes if you don't have a caulk gun.

It's a good thing he didn't get that far yet then. I forgot this wasn't /diy/.