Ok Sup Forums, I just had a huge argument with my parents...

Ok Sup Forums, I just had a huge argument with my parents. The subject of GMO's came up and I said that they were a good thing it only becomes bad for your health when they add something to make the plant produce pesticide and harmful chemicals. Their only argument is that when you genetically change something, that makes it immediately not good for you. They then told me that I was being brainwashed and now they are talking behind my back on how bad of a son I am. Now I don't know what to think, have I been taught lies? Can Sup Forums give me a factual rundown on GMO's?

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/56745320
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You are both wrong.

Care to explain?

people have been doing genetic engineering with food and animals for a long time

the real evil is that Monsanto wants to patent genetic code

There can be any number of unknown harmful effects from genetically modifying foods. May not know the reason for a generation. Also may not be any problem at all, in fact may be better for the consumer. Some interactions are obvious and bad, but people should be more worried about the unknown interactions.

Things change genetically with each generation. A lot of that is in the junk DNA that appears to do nothing for the being. Scientists adding further modifications can be good and/or bad.

Things like this and trying to prove humans are responsible for the recent hurricanes is not a yes and no question. Chaotic systems have way too many variables to reduce to a simple answer.

that answer doesn't nearly do the question justice.

There is nothing inherently wrong about genetically modifying food, and in many cases it has been a force for good for centuries.

That being said, it is also good to be careful and skeptical about what you consume, regardless of if it is a GMO or not. I don't think there is anything wrong with regulation when it comes to something like this.

This

Everything from corn to your pet dog have been genetically engineered in some form or another.

This

Plants have been mixed with each other over years to have better yields.

The main concern with GMO's is that an overuse of pesticides can cause certain allergic reactions (perhaps not a major concern, but it's something to consider), and the fact that germs and bugs can resist pesticides as time goes on.

is right.
By far the most common form of GMOs is the ones that can be sprayed with more roundup than other plants. Roundup is fucking toxic, not only to humans but the entire environment.
Second thing is that Monsanto and other evil scum want a complete monopoly by any means necessary. There was a case a couple years back when GMO seeds blew onto a neighboring farm and that farm's owner was robbed and jailed by Monsanto's kangaroo court for having those seeds without paying - even though he was an organic farmer and didn't even want that shit. I think it was in Ohio. Plus there's the case of the GMO salmon killing the wild ones with their antibiotic resistant diseases

plus these companies are fighting - with everything they have - against labelling laws

vimeo.com/56745320

Humans have been genetically modify organisms for centuries using artificial selection, a GMO is the same thing minus to need to have sexual reproduction.

I don't think they're very good parents lol

The roundup 'resistance' is the main concern. The shit doesn't even kill weeds as well as it does the environment.
Followed by that of resistant pests and molds.
And general dangers of mono cropping, let alone few select varieties man made with other genes.
Oh and seed pattents are bullshit. If it's as simple as the 'genetic modification' ie breeding that's been done since the dawn of the ag revoultion, then it doesn't deserve a pattent.
Gmos claim to solve the food crisis, but in all reality, we have a population crisis.
And those with a record for poisoning humans with plant herbicides, shouldn't be anywhere near food.

gmos are fine your parents are the crazy ones

Corn, sugar, wheat, soy
Theres your gmo label.
Idk why thats a battle worth millions.

pretty much this. imagine if microsoft started to claim every internet-protocol. shit would hit the fan.

>reason for a generation
I guess you think of passing genes onto the next generation or something similar. If you eat GMO's you dont implement their dna into yours or vice versa.
If you didnt mean it like this, ignore this post

The threat isn't from eating GMO food, it's the potential of contamination of nearby crops with GMO pollen, which threatens bioversity and allows GMO corporations to sue those farmers for piracy (genes are copyrighted).

Making farmers buy new seeds after every harvest is also cruel.

If you choose to eat GMO, you're supporting these practices.

not that user, most plants produce toxins to keep them from being eaten.
A gmo can produce new toxins that can produce negative side effects in humans and we all know, when that happens, it will take years of independent research to find said toxin and its side effects.
Because the company that made said gmo wants to see profits they don't care about their consumers. Just like asbestos, the producers knew decades beforehand that it caused cancer.

gmo's can be good, but company's will do everything in their power to hide the side effects

fuck monsanto

Wrong. Selective breeding is not the same as genetic modification. Some GMO's have fish DNA, as well as from other unrelated organisms.

Yup!

Hey there, Genitic Councilor here. GMO's are a hot button issue. In the end, it really just depends. We have GMO rice that produces extra nutrients, which no is obviously not bad for you. We also have crops that are pesticide resistant, because of the extra enzymes they produce. In all likelihood these are probably safe (though nobody's really studied that long-term). What we are VERY concerned about is that these GMO's allow for LIBERAL application of pesticides, which is bad for nature and bad for you. Honestly, buy organic and you'll be fine.

You are their shit son, a gmo of not their will, if you will

You, sir, have a realistic picture of the world.

Good job.

Someone give him a cookie.