Is this elaborate b8 or is electronic music really more varied and expansive than guitar music?

Is this elaborate b8 or is electronic music really more varied and expansive than guitar music?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_music
youtube.com/watch?v=kqR4yNYWxx4
youtube.com/watch?v=lzQ8GDBA8Is
en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_fallacy
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Honestly I think it's beyond stupid to have no subgenres of rock or metal, but still list edm, techno, house and such. Basically those are all just subgenres of some sort of edm.

EDM isn't a genre.

Yes, but a lot of the variation in electronic music you wouldn't be able to tell unless you are an avid fan or someone explained it to you.

Most people couldn't tell the differences in rock past rock / metal / punk / alt-rock

Yes it is you twat

remove EDM (not a genre) and EBM (industrial subgenre) from the right and yeah

Electronic/rock should be on both sides too

Its an umbrella term for just some subgenres with those main genres listed

It's a genre just as much as rock is.

[citations needed]

fuck of cunt

Bad Day?

Its alright, no need to apologize for your stupidity

Yes, but it's not exactly a fair comparison. Electronic music is so varied and isn't just "computers lmao".

You can also make electronic music with a guitar

You can also make guitar music with electronic instruments

Only in the sense that electricity is required for the pickups to register sounds from the strings. The strings still physically vibrate and create sound.

Even effects pedals, at least in the early days, affected the actual sound from the guitar by putting it through tubes or some other analog method. It was only in the late 80's that totally digital effects pedals came out.

Basically, electric guitar is electronic, but not digital (unless the guitar player wants it to be). It's very possible (and likely, if you are poorfag), that your electric guitars sound never actually passes through a circuit board of any kind.

Same can be said for "rock" but that's used.

Except rock is a universally, academically accepted genre.

you guys are fucking arguing semantics. for real though we all just gotta admit that there is just so much you can do with a drummer two guitars and a bass. electronic does have atleast theoretically more options. you can sample any number of whatever instruments you want, you can digitally alter that shit, just a synth alone has so many more sounds then you can get out oft a guitar. i don't think it makes much sense comparing it though, you'll always need ppl to play real instruments because hey got something human and are super intricate. arguing about the number of genres and shit is just semantics though.

>Squire

I don't consider "academics" who consider Chuck Berry, toe, Radiohead and My Bloody Valentine as being of the same genre to be worth shit.

This is my aunts dog. She posted this on facebook years ago and it went viral. I don't know if she's even aware of it.

I don't consider "anyone" who consider OPN, Spiral Tribe, Vladislav Delay and Darude as being of the same genre to be worth shit.

Okay, so how does this make "rock" a genre?

Rock started as a genre in the 60s, then it got more varied.

Unlike EDM which was never a genre.

>Thinking electronic music and guitars are mutually exclusive
Prog died for you shits

Haha what the fuclk?

*plebs

We're not in the 1950s right now. You're in absolutely no position to bitch about people saying "IDM is a genre" if you're retarded enough to use genre descriptors as archaic as "rock music".

Who said anything about IDM?

>rock isn't a genre
The fucks wrong with this board?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_music

EDM. It's a typo. You should have figured that out from the contextual cues provided by the conversation that just transpired.

EDM is not, has not and never will be a genre.

>gen·re
>ˈZHänrə/
>noun
>noun: genre; plural noun: genres
>a category of artistic composition, as in music or literature, characterized by similarities in form, style, or subject matter.

>this
>and this
>similarities in form, style, or subject matter
Nothing. What the fuck is wrong with you, you senseless gobshite?

See

Nice appeal to authority argument you absolute retard, but if you're going to appeal to such a shitty fallacy, you could at least refer to something that has some genuine authority. i.e. not Wikipedia. It still wouldn't be a solid argument, but at least you wouldn't look like a total fuckwit.

How the fuck is attributing a dictionary an appeal to authority? It IS the definition of genre you turboautist

>posts frogs
>is completely incapable of following a conversation
Go back to school and learn basic reading comprehension instead of rotting away whatever's left of that dysfunctional slab of meat you call your brain indulging yourself in cancerous memes. You just linked to wikipedia to "prove" that rock is a genre even though the things that sources like wikipedia categorise as "rock" don't fit the dictionary definition of "genre" that I posted. Keep up, you fucking cretin.

Grove the internationally academically accepted encyclopedia says the same.

>It's very possible (and likely, if you are poorfag), that your electric guitars sound never actually passes through a circuit board of any kind.
Every poorfag who has ever plugged up a guitar through a solid state amp, a tuner, or a stomp box has plugged into a circuit board.
STFU and go to bed.

en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

you're right, I should believe the underage Sup Forums poster lmao

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_fallacy

>electronic music
>laptop

>Argument from fallacy is the formal fallacy of analyzing an argument and inferring that, since it contains a fallacy, its conclusion must be false.
Do you even read the shit you link before you hit submit? The fallacy involves "analyzing an argument". Your/his posts contain no argument whatsoever, just a dismissal of my arguments through an appeal to authority.

>Jimmy Wales
>an authority

Apparently there are people dumb enough to view it as such and point to it as an ultimate weapon when they have no arguments to back up their shitty opinions.

>universally agreed facts are now shitty opinions

You're the only one trying to push shitty opinions m8

>gen·re
>ˈZHänrə/
>noun
>noun: genre; plural noun: genres
>a category of artistic composition, as in music or literature, characterized by similarities in form, style, or subject matter.

>this
>and this
>similarities in form, style, or subject matter

So you tell me, which is wrong. The dictionary or the faceless nobodies editing a communal trivia page? Because the two clearly contradict each other. Also, back up your statement, in your own words.

These are all subgenres of the main genre, rock.

They are (mostly) different.

They're still rock subgenres.

You're wrong.
>back up your statement, in your own words.
No, that would be shitty opinions, I'll stick with facts thanks.

>The dictionary or the faceless nobodies editing a communal trivia page?
...and Grove, the definitive academic music encyclopedia and every other one of worth too.

So you're saying every dictionary ever written is wrong then?

Nope, just you.

so how can they both be correct if they directly contradict each other?

They all say rock is a genre.

that does not address the contradiction

it's called rock because it rocks and rolls not because there's a guitar

Electronic music is such a broad term that you could record a guitar, use it as a sample and it'll be electronic music.
So technically, yea?

It is whatever people say it is. You cannot prove or disprove something is a genre. It's not objective, it's constructed.

no because anyone stupid enough to think that an instruments limits the music that can be made with it is an absolute fucking moron

Half of EAI/Onkyo musicians play guitar what post made this list?

Every artist who uses a Fender is now within the genre chuckabuckawawa, please amend your libraries accordingly.

>i have no idea what objectivity is
Bet you're one of those idiots who thinks "objective opinion" is an oxymoron

no

by virtue of definition, EDM is electronic dance music

so long as the MUSIC is ELECTRONIC and meant for DANCE it is EDM

you fucking faggot

>meant for
Subjective.

no

if the maker imbues it with the purpose, then it is for that purpose

how people use it is irrelevant to the creation of the music

you stupid faggot

Oh right, I must have missed the disclaimer on all the records I've bought at the bottom stating

''this piece of music IS/IS NOT for dancing to''

I'll look more closely in the future.

This is the most self defeating argument I have ever seen. GENRE is a way to CLASSIFY similar types of music. a point of reference or pronoun is not proving or disproving anything.

Its just a mad rocktard unable to accept electronic music is more varied than guitar music because we aren't treating all these as independent separate genres but thinks every piece of music since electro-funk should be called EDM.

>a way to CLASSIFY similar types of music
Because Elvis Pressley and Kid A Radiohead are quite clearly very similar.

stupid fucking irrelevant projection

what an artist makes something for is what CATEGORIZES it you fucking faggot

what people use it for is irrelevant to that

it's how music like "by request only" from ken ends up being meme music despite the fact that it's prayer music you stupid little retard

People aren't guaranteed to know shit about the maker imbuing something with some purpose. That would be secondary information. Labels are separated down to the individual. They are so splintered in their meaning that what is as simple as a 3-letter acronym would be meaningless and arbitrary. They are for communication, not arguing. Don't argue withme.

I get it, I'll look for the note from the ARTIST telling me if they made it for dancing to or not before defining it in future.

So basically you have no way of determining whether it was made for dancing to at all.

So it's just business as usual.

t. guitar player

[spoiler][/spoiler]But seriously, I have been playing the guitar for 12 years and most of my people i have met that play are some of the most assmad faggots about this shit. They're just mad because they think that electronic music takes no talent but guitar does.[spoiler][/spoiler]

thats pretty much what it comes down to yeah

I do not enjoy the aesthetic of electronic music, nor' the core elements of the genre.

checkmate bleepfags

no1currs

people assign genres, not the music

Nobody said differently

Well it is true in a way. Electronic music doesn't take nearly as much mechanical talent.