My book just Came in. what does Sup Forums think of lovecraft and similar works...

my book just Came in. what does Sup Forums think of lovecraft and similar works ? any writers similar to his style of cosmicism ? discuss

Other urls found in this thread:

mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94970)
amazon.com/Complete-Fiction-H-P-Lovecraft/dp/0785834206
amazon.com/Necronomicon-Best-Weird-Tales-Lovecraft/dp/0575081562/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AZ0MN239A3QDHHABHS0R&dpID=519DZU8F5uL&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=detail
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm a big fan so bump

What's your favorite of his stories op? Mine's probably Beyond the Walls of Sleep or The Music of Erich Zann(probably spelled that wrong).

And just btw, you'll get better responses on Lovecraft over on /x/ and maybe even /lit/, but /lit/ is too fucking slow to even bother with most of the time.

>implying /lit/ topics on Sup Forums don't still count as random
Go yuck fourself, m8.

Dose that book have the poem "of the creation of niggers?"

I like his ideas but cannot stand the way he writes.

who the fuck designed that title?

I didn't imply anything, I simply linked to /lit/ since it would be a better board for his discussion and he would find more like-minded people.

My bad. I'm kinda pissy today for reasons that matter to no one but me. Didn't mean to assume.

No problem, hope you have a better day tomorrow user.

Probably August Derleth.

Could they really not just put the "H." down on the second line next to "P. Lovecraft?"

Read Medusa's Coil

I read only the call of cthulu. I was surprised it was so short. I liked it, so I might be back to Lovecraft.
Is there any reading order? Recommendations?

Protip: did you know that the book is in public domain and you can download a good quality e-book for free?
(mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94970)

They couldn't even be bothered to put the P in H.P. Lovecraft on that bottom line for the authors name

Nyarlethotep is a good one, too.

Shadow over Innsmouth is probably my favorite. I love his writing style, feels cozy af

I've only read call of cthulu which is the reason I picked up the book

I wouldn't know, I'm new to his work and this book has all his works . I don't think there's a reading order since there's probably no continuity and most of it is short stories

>

and In case you're wondering, it's a fairly large book

How much did it cost

$22.95 on Amazon

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.

Ex Oblivione

you should listen to some of nick gisburne's readings of lovecraft.

Been hoping to pick up some of his stuff at my second hand book store, but they never seem to have any.

He was a renowned racist, but I doubt this exists. Besides it wouldn't be in an anthology of fictional writings.

should have bought a different one. Looks like some schmuck just compiled his stories (they're free in the public domain), couldn't even format the title right, and printed them in a book to sell on the amazon market place for a substantial mark up.

You should write a letter to the editor complaining about the aesthetic of the front cover
And mention this

here's a hardcover collection for $10 less:

amazon.com/Complete-Fiction-H-P-Lovecraft/dp/0785834206

and heres a cool one too:

amazon.com/Necronomicon-Best-Weird-Tales-Lovecraft/dp/0575081562/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AZ0MN239A3QDHHABHS0R&dpID=519DZU8F5uL&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=detail

This. You can find everything he wrote online for free. Although having a physical book to put on the shelf is nice, the presentation of this one is lacking...

Wouldve went with this one personally. 1.1k pages.

I turn to him when I need a good horror fix
modern "horror" novels and movies are just slasher stories
nothing that really puts lasting fear in the reader/viewer

the reviews on that first one said it wasn't complete and was missing some stories

Still shit ton more in it than op's

it's not the complete version according to reviews

I fucking love his vocabulary. His sentences are phenominal

something for scale? and what is the font size/spacing like?
I've got an anthology of his worked called "The Necronomicon" that looks to be the same page size and about twice as thick

A good second one to read would be the mountains of madness it is a fair bit longer and leads up to a good bit of suspense

it had about 52 stories and the one I purchased has 57 minus the poems. if there's anything else missing I'll look it up online. I just wanted something physical I could read cos I'm home doing nothing till January so I thought why not

i feel really inept as an english speaking person when i read the writing of people like him.

for scale next to my ps4

Me too, I read maybe 5 stories and was generally fine with it. Cool concepts but the wording was a bit pretentious.
Then I read The Dunwich Horror and I wanted to gauge my eyes out. The way he wrote the people's retard accent made physically hurt my ears and I wasn't on an audiobook. The fact that a dog killed a fucking demigod made me question Lovecraft's IQ, and there was no tension at all.

Call of Cthulhu, Nyarlathotep, and the Cat one are very good though

the font is small and so is the spacing

and for scale on the ps4

can you put one of your ps4 games inside of the book and try to play it?

my is is more than twice as thick
and the pages are probably larger
lemme go grab it and we can compare which stories are included

m.barnesandnoble.com/p/barnes-noble-leatherbound-classics-hp-lovecraft-h-p-lovecraft/1106658815/2675149082064?st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_Marketplace+Shopping+Books_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP2563&k_clickid=3x2563
This is the book I have and it has quite a few of his stories

House on the Borderland by William Hodgeson was said to have been an inspiration for Lovecraft. Might be a bit of a stretch but Perdido Street Station had some creatures I would consider lovecraftian, and that is by China Mieville.

damn that's a big book. I feel salty now since it's almost the same in price

sure thing user. mine has about 57 stories

same type face and page size
36 stories
and insanely long acknowledgements, forwards, and afterwards

fagballs

and it just claims to be "the best weird tales of H. P. Lovecraft"
not a complete anthology

that penguin is my soul animal

He became a God for doing what no one would.

I wrote a few books lately. They are telling the same stories as Lovecraft‘s, but I modified it to include more people of color and queer people.

slide

wew

thank you for the service you have done to the literary community. i will not hesitate to follow you on patreon, friend.

are Lovecraft's works public domain?

apparently they are

Pickmans model or rats in the walls are my two favorites

The only stories that have any sort of order are the ones concerning Randolph Carter, those stories are pretty decent. The Colour Out of Space is my personal favorite, I've read a good amount of his stuff. cosmic horror is the tits

AHS has (mostly) done a good job of building suspense and being true horror
I'd like to see a future season focus on Cthonic mythos