Sup Sup Forums. I am trying to quit smoking and finding it difficult to quit. I smoke about a pack a day...

Sup Sup Forums. I am trying to quit smoking and finding it difficult to quit. I smoke about a pack a day, and even more if I'm smoking weed or drinking. To all the former smokers out there, what helped you quit/how long did it take?

I kept a couple of pieces of nicotine gum on my bedside table and resisted the urge. It took about two weeks but getting over smoking was more about getting over fear of nothing.

I still smoke on occasion, but what helped me was to quit taking cigarettes to work with me. Quitting smoking at work massively curbed my cravings.

That seems like it would help, unfortunately my job stresses me out to no end and sells cigarettes so it's hard to get away from them

Does the gum really help? Never thought it would

Just stop.

Wish it was that simple

I just stopped doing it. Just stop, don't think about. You will be sick for a couple months. I am prone to depression so I had to start taking antidepression meds again (I realized years later that I basically always need to be taking them or because of bipolar) anyways user good luck to you , just don't do it. It's simple.

why stop smoking, is great we are going to die it may as well be on your own terms

Don't buy cigarettes. It's still mostly a habit and not a physical dependence.
Start eating some strong mints if you crave for a smoke that helps. I can go for 1 day without smoking but after that it's hard. Also sounds funny but brushing your teeth with lot of tooth paste helps to curb the craving.
Best way to do it is to not have cigarettes around and replace it with something else. Try drinking more coffee.

That's how I see it too, I love smoking and don't want to quit, but the money is what really kills me

went to vaping, over time dropped the nicotine to 0 then stopped using that

Any mint recommendations?

You will stop when you actually want to. Until that happens, you're just pretending. Here were triggers for me;

> Cigarettes were marketed to the poor, black and dumb. This was the original demographic. Are you in that demographic?
> Do you like being a slave? The irony that in the modern world, a legal business can keep you hooked on a poison is ludicrous.
> When the end times come you're fucked. If you quit, use found smokes for currency.
> You stink. Ever bought cologne? Why?
> The government is making money off you poisoning yourself. What an actual piss take.

Started dipping Copenhagen mint. Made it easy. Not the best way, but save the lungs kill the gums I guess

can't you get cheap ones ? i have a guy you should get a get guy or get rolling tobacco it works out cheaper

OP here, I also have a problem with seeing smoking as part of my self image if that makes sense. So quitting smoking makes me feel like I'm losing part of who I am

It is hard, but theres nothing else for it but just stop. Take some personal responsibility. Also keep in mind a lot of addiction is psychological, imagine if nobody ever told you cigs were addictive, you wouldnt feel how you do about it.

Also only 10 or 15% of population over here smoke, so if 85% of people dont need to smoke you can do it too.

Last point - smoking can become a part of your identity and image of yourself you want to project, realise this is bullshit and nobody thinks youre cool. Emphysema and copd are fuckin real too.

Can't dip, grosses me out too much

Microdose some acid lol.
Be a little more flexible with your brain

I could, but I enjoy the "quality" of what I smoke

That’s the point. If you need nicotine that much you’ll learn to accept it.

Lmao all the harder shit in my area is too sketchy

I see, I see. Sort of making the idea of nicotine gross

Get really sick or hungover and if you stay in bed with out a pack near you then that'll get you through the hardest part. You could also start vaping or dipping to feed the nic craving. Most of cig addiction is like out of routine. Wake up smoke, eat smoke, stop here before you go into work smoke ect. ect. You have to change your routine and not hang around people who smoke for a while before you can get over your addiction.

I just started covering my cig boxes with dog poop and every time I got a cig I would get a huge whiff of the poop. Eventually my brain started associated cigs with smelly dog shit and I stopped smoking

well the ones i smoke are genuine richmond's but they are imported so no tax plus im 90% they was imported illegally but who cares just fine someone who does it for a living

This. I completely agree, dude. Its hard to avoid it in my friend group/ family because literally everyone smokes

Here's what helped me: every time I started again I'd think, "Fuck. Well, I'll quit again when I finish this pack."

Don't finish the pack. If you've smoked one or two, that sucks, throw the pack in the garbage. Its not a waste of money. Continuing to smoke and buying more packs is a waste of money.

Vaping

Read Allen Carr’s Easy Way to Stop Smoking. I was a pack a day smoker at my best and I haven’t had a smoke since October last year. Bo craving no nothing, I have my family over and they’re all smokers. Im right there next to them while they smoke and they envy me. For I am the AfterJew

so cut down when you're on your own and smoke with friends and slowly cut down till you stop

bunch of insecure beta cucks here if you can't control yourself and need to constantly suck on a cigarette, jezus fuck just kill yourselfs

Whoa you're so edgy fam XD !!!1!

It was easy for me to stop. I litcherally get no cravings. I don't know what the big deal is. Smoked reds and menthols for about half a year.

Fuck, a pack a day? What's worse, I know a guy that smokes almost two packs a day.

Man... I only smoke 2-4 a day, and that pains my throat and lungs. But fucking 20-40 a day is crazy.

Do you even enjoy oxygen? lol

>Read Allen Carr’s Easy Way to Stop Smoking.

This....

Although i just finished reading the book and am still currently smoking..
Going to re-read the book and actually let it sink in this time....
Makes complete sense also. But there were other reasoms why i havent stopped yet.

Tldr;
You dont actually like smoking.
It tastes like shit.
The physical dependance on nicotine is minimal.
The brainwashing is the hard part to overcome.
Read the damn book. !!

Champix faggot

I'm actually an alien from the planet VC765 and physically cannot breathe oxygen, only cigarette smoke.

Literally JUST downloaded the PDF

Nicotine fun facts!

> Nicotine has a very short half life. After about an hour after a cig, nicotine levels are at half. After about 3 days, there is no nicotine left in your system.

>Withdrawl symptoms include; a slight feeling of lose, like something is missing. Increase in senses, hearing, smell, taste, etc. Increased energy levels. Also your lungs will feel weird since you'll be growing little hairs back.

>Most of quitting is psychological. There will be triggers that you will have to be aware of. Events and things you associate with smoking. Morning coffee, lunch breaks, certain people, etc. You'll have to be aware of these, and you will get cravings since your body is used to having nicotine at these times. Best advice, wait 10-15 minutes, usually the cravings stop. It will be tough the first couple of days, but after a week or two you'll be fine.

Good luck OP. I smoked a pack a day for 10 years. Quit 2 years ago cold turkey and never looked back. You'll feel better about yourself, more confidence, more energy and more money in your bank account.

If you do relapse, don't worry, just start again. Keep at it till you quit, on average it takes about 7 tries to quit. You'll get there.

As faggy as they are I picked up one of those vapes and I haven't smoked a cig since October 16 2015. I used to smoke a pack a day for maybe 4-5 years and I started with 12mg nicotine and worked my way down. Shit actually helps man hope the best for you

Conviction, if you want to quit you do it. Quit both weed and cigarettes like that, cold turkey.

>You dont actually like smoking.
Subjective.

>It tastes like shit.
Opinion

I, like many others, actually enjoy the taste and the smoking.

Hey, thanks, my man!

You stopped vaping cause you suck dick 24-7 and can't find time without a penis in your mouth

Enjoying the taste of cigarettes is one of the signs you are addicted. There's a reason why most cough and gag on their first puff.

Decided to stop smoking. Stopped drinking because the two go together.

Man up and do it if you want to. If you do not succeed it's because you're weak. There is no excuse.

It is that simple. Don't be a pussy.

As for the "how long does it take", the answer is "the rest of your life".

Enjoyment and addiction are separate. You can enjoy without being addicted.

Boy you aren't that bright, are you? You're a pseudo intellect, coupled with thinking you're qualified to give an opinion. Hush – that's the best thing you do.

how'd you deal with the nothing? cigs are pretty much all i got left

most retarded argument i've heard... even non-smokers sometimes like the smell of cigs and romanticise about smoking one.

ok

i don't think it's possible to quit something like cigs without substituting it with something else. even if it's work out or some shit, something's gotta take its place.

>i don't think it's possible
>possible
>i think
>....i think

Well, what you "think" is wrong, because many have in the past, and many will continue to do so in the future, though a substitute does surely help some or quite possibly the majority; haven't read the studies.

I do know though that nicotine replacements often fail – excluding e-cigs. Gums, patches, for example, tend to have ass success rates.

Vape?

Just get drunk. I was a pack and a half a day, was a smoker on and off for ten years, and this was by far the easiest way I ever found. It takes care of that nervous energy like nothing else.

I watched my dad have a stroke, and then had to put the fucker in a nursing home. He wasn't even 50 yet. Can't shower himself, he asked my brother to wipe his ass one day, can't be left alone. I'm routinely getting phone calls about how they found him on the floor in the middle of the night. Thought fuck that shit. I'm never putting anyone through that. Gave up the day a doctor told me the only reason he had such a severe stroke was ciggees. You can do it user.

I quit drinking and got the flu. When I was done being sick I chewed the gum. But I was only up to a pack a day at 10 years.

Just read the damn book, but i must say you MUST WANT to quit, otherwise you’re only kidding yourself. I’m a functioning alcoholic, ex-cig addict. Now i only drink. (Next habbit to kick) well not really just tone down. But I’m telling you those two things do not have to go together! Read the book! It only works if you truly want to quit!! Otherwise don’t waste your time

You got aids bruh

you'll have to wait until you are mentally ready to quit cold turkey

That would be nice because I could spend money a little more extravagantly, but no. Just have autoimmune diseases. IBS and Fibro. Also developing rheumatoid.

Auto-Immune-Disease! Where do you think AID the acronym came from?!

if u go on a fast for 2-3+ days your cravings will be reduced by about 90%. look it up theres studies about it. good start.

Deciding I didn't want to smoke, and stopping. You'll hear lots of other money wasting suggestions but until you actually want to quit you won't.

Ama or don't. Smoked ten years and stopped

I smoked around a pack a day for 12 years, switched to vaping for about a year. Haven't smoked in the past 3 years other than once at a bar where I thought it smelled good and wanted one. Took one drag and put it out. Shit tastes horrible now.

I quit cold turkey.
Partly because I wanted to quit
Partly because I was quite sick at the time and it physically hurt to smoke
I think switching over to American Spirits helped make it a bit easier as well

The first month or so is the worst but then it becomes easy. It's been a little over 2 1/2 years and I do admittedly still get cravings but nothing I can't overcome. I've been fucked up enough and resisted the urge... I've been around dozens of people smoking and resisted the urge. I feed off it at this point.

I've actually had "friends" unironically offer me cigarettes even though they were fully aware I had stopped and was proud of myself for doing so. Pieces of shit.

i just quit cold turkey, had like 2 packs in an afternoon after a night of drinking, was totally hungover and i got sick and experienced some chest pain
scared the shit outta me and it's been two years since i touched the bloody things

switch to vaping. worked for me.

>the first time I thought I smelled something nice I did it anyway. But it's okay because I didn't like it

You're a real oak

No. It didn't.

Get the most disgusting small cigarillos(?) you can find. Buy atleast 3-5 packs, and dont buy more before you are done with them. Now days i can only smoke when drunk.

I have actually been trying to get addicted since I just want to get sick and die sooner. I honestly dont know how you retards manage to get addicted. I have bought maybe ten packs and I enjoy them sometimes but half way through a cigarette the smell and tasted makes me feel gross. I will smoke a pack in a week or so but then I have to remind my self to get more so sometimes it takes a few days.

I went cold turkey and bought a Vape. I started with liquids that had very high nicotine concentrations and weened myself down over a couple months. But vaping doesn't get rid of the mental addiction, which I still very much have. I still enjoy the act of "smoking", but I'd rather vape regularly than smoke regularly, it's not healthy but it's far better than smoking. Also breath doesn't wreak all the time, you're clothes don't stink, and your fingers and teeth don't go yellow. Plus you get to try all the different flavors and shit out there, they have some tasty shit. Just make sure you buy a Vape and liquids that are designed to deliver a closer to smoking experience, and not those fucking fedora cloud machines that autists run around blowing into people faces. Good luck my man, you can do it.

yeah the most successful way to quit smoking since tobaccos been smoked is vaping
dont let the memes and fedoras fool you
genuinely 95percent (if not more) safer for you than cigs according to UK board of health
get yourself something cheap and reliable
like a v8 stick or v8 baby stick
or even vape pen 22
theyre all great and cheap
not huge so you dont look like an asshole
ive been working in vape for 4+ years and have seen many, many people get off cigs for their families if not for themselves
its possible, ive been off cigs for 6 years now after having been on em for 7.
ive seen 40 50 and even 60 year smokers quit and they could not be happier
its worth a shot

It actually is that simple. There is now other way then just stopping.

At some point, you have to stop all the way, even if you are tapering down.

Like ripping off a band-aid, you can do it quickly, or slowly and feel each individual hair being torn out.

I tried everything available. There is no magic pill.. you have to man up and want to do it.. nicotine is out of your body in 3 days and the rest is getting over the habit. 10 years I smoked a pack and a half a day and oct 7th I'm at 2 years without a puff

I used to smoke a pack a day as Well, I haven't quit yet but I'm down to a few a day one before work and a few after work, I do overnights and can't smoke on my shift so that helps. My biggest tip is to put off your morning smoke as long as possible it will help cut back on cravings for the rest of the day.

I smoked two packs a day for 14 years man up fuckboi. 3 years no cigarettes.

I work with a couple vape fags, so I tried that. Started at 10mg of nicotine and now down to 6mg. It's been a couple months and I have no urge to smoke cigarettes. I figure I've saved $750 by switching, got my senses of smell and taste back, don't stink like an ashtray, don't get winded so easily, etc etc etc.

Yeah, it's still kinda gay tho. Fucking mouth fedora.

Switch to American Spirits. They're expensive hipster cigs but when I switched to them my cravings where a lot less intense bc they don't have additives. I'm convinced they helped wean me off. Haven't smoked in 6 years.

American Spirits helped me quit as well.
They are a bit more expensive, but I would smoke a pack in 2 days rather than one so I ended up saving a bit of money on them compared to smoking reds.

Try not to smoke at work. Stress is actually made worse by cigs. Vaping got me off of it. And I feel like i can get off vaping now too

The discrete small vapes that produce very little vapor are fine in my opinion. Plus if you're someone like me who uses it discretely, it's really no different than being someone that smokes. The fedora crowd are the faggots with "mods" or whatever they call them, that are jacked up to produce more vapor than a fucking hurricane just so they can make sure that everyone in a 1 mile radius can see that they vape.

Agreed... in fact, mine is the mod a co-worker outgrew when he wanted more more more. So, free is good. Some mornings when I come into work , it looks like foggy old London inside.

kek

I've been smoking for 13 years. About a week ago on my 26th birthday I started wearing the patch. It has helped tremendously. It's weird, but I can feel it making me better. I only want a cigarette like twice a day now and I'll have maybe two puffs off of a blu and distract myself and it's gone.

Do the patch the right way and it'll help. I thought nothing would help me. I also still smoke about the same amount of weed as I was before I started the patch.

Good luck

>about half a year

Go on somewhere, non smoker.