Jerry Garcia on Rap

Well, rap is not music for one thing. I mean, it isn't music, you know, it's talking. That's what is says "rap." "Rap" means "talking." It's not music, it's talking in meter, it's got rhyme, and it's got...it has meter, it has rhythm. It's not music. It's...you know, it's okay. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it, I have no problem with it. It just isn't music, you know. And people who get to be great at rap are not great musicians, they're just great at rap, you know. There's no road from rapping into music, you know what I mean? And, music is something you can get better and better and better at. I don't know if you can do that with rap. I don't know if whether it has that kind of space in it or that it leads into infinite possibilities. Music does.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=V0jt-2huWAg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes rather like yodeling isn't music but it is just a vocal technique used in a lot of music.

too bad they even did a very early version of rap on this track
youtube.com/watch?v=V0jt-2huWAg

Weird. He guy who sounds like nails on a chalkboard is trying to change the definition of music from "organized sound in time" to "shit people make that isn't 12 hour noodling bullshit on acid."

God I fucking hate Grateful Dead fans even more than the band.

>Ugh, I can't believe people would take this nazi seriously, kendrick lamar and young thug are way better and more talented than this cringey dadrocker

Well, guitar jams are not music for one thing. I mean, it isn't music, you know, it's wanking. That's what is says "jam." "Jam" means "wanking." It's not music, it's meaningless soloing, it's got loudness, and it's got...it has no meter, it has no rhythm. It's not music. It's...you know, it's okay. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it, I have no problem with it. It just isn't music, you know. And people who get to be great at jams are not great musicians, they're just great at jams, you know. There's no road from jamming into music, you know what I mean? And, music is something you can get better and better and better at. I don't know if you can do that with jams. I don't know if whether it has that kind of space in it or that it leads into infinite possibilities. Music does.

every fucking time I see this picture i just can't handle it lmao

t. arsehurt nu-male

naah, hippie music sucked ass

Is this why the Grateful Dead was so against any of their music being sampled?

Yeah, and this is coming from a guitar player that played disco as disco was dying out? (Dancing in The Streets off of Terrapin Station or Shakedown Street)

Plus, the original version of Fire On The Mountain was proto-rap with Micky Hart doing the rapping.
And people wonder why I'll never do heroin.......

Thank you for posting this video and helping me to drive my point home. :)

they were happy to let Animal Collective sample them so possibly

R.A.P. fans can't handle the truth lmao

Perhaps he is just talking about the vocal style rap itself and not any of the backing music. I mean that is kind of true. It's basically the same as poetry reading. While not necessarily music themselves they can be put to music, and are to great success.

You might've gotten dubs, but you're quite judgmental.

Not all of us Grateful Dead fans are "Dead Heads" meaning we're not all annoying filthy unwashed drug addled spaced out hippies living in the past.

Fuck some of us are CEOs. Some of us are even COPS!

I understand where you're coming from though. There are plenty of Grateful Dead fans that make me ashamed to admit that I'm one, what with the reinforcement of the acid casualty stereotype.

On the other hand, I can also understand one not liking their music. It's not the easiest of music to get into.

>Weird. He guy who sounds like nails on a chalkboard is trying to change the definition of music from "organized sound in time" to "shit people make that isn't 12 hour noodling bullshit on acid."

I never did understand why Christgau worships the Dead while on the other hand bitching about bands who play over long, self-indulgent jam sessions at like 80 bpm.

naw.

all sorts of people have all sorts of narrow views.
this one is his.
oh well.
who cares?

(Nice dubs)
You should do a google search of Grey Folded by Plunderphonics.

You'll never hear Dark Star the same way ever again. (And this is actually authorized by the band themselves. In fact they BEGGED this person to do it even though this particular person has absolutely no connection or involvement with the band)

>hahaha rap is not mus-
Oh.

Stupid boomer with stupid boomer opinion

sage

>Cherry Garcia was literally the first member of the Alt-Right

Hory fuck

jesus christ you're such a faggot - or this is just quality bait. either way kys my nigga

God she's cute, does she have a bandcamp?

If you want to be a negative ass then kindly fuck off to the Jhené Aiko general

It is not bait, and I am not a faggot.
However, while I tried to post a serous response, it's eels likeYOU are the one who is doing the shit posting and baiting.

I tried to be nice and reasonable, but don't think that just because you got dubs you're hot shit.

Why don't YOU KYS, FAGGOT? And the sooner the better!

Care to explain?

THANK YOU!

based Peep poster

I want to diddle that leporidae

I bet you thought this was really clever and thought provoking before you hit the submit button.

if this is considered rap then I think I may have found rap that I actually enjoy, thank you for this.

And for all those fags in this thread who are inevitably going to say Garcia is shit because of
>MUH DEAD
>MUH FANS
>MUH NOODLING
you can fuck off because regardless of one of his projects that you may not enjoy he is still extremely talented (pic related)

doesn't mean a person who could play hippy music couldn't simply get up and start learning another genre. Doing that with rap is not that simple, I'm not saying it's simple the other way but going from rap to any other genre is leagues harder, if not impossible depending on how much musical talent any given rapper has

I thought this was clever and I’m glad I read it before writing something similar.
Pretty sure jerry didn’t think this through very well, so let’s not all pretend it means anything. Honestly when would he even have listened to enough rap music to get into it? The dude was constantly chooglin’

i love how divided this thread always gets people. i love grateful dead and i still think hip hop is music, crazy right?

ITT: Redditors fall for daily copypasta

Garcia nothing to do with this, OP posts a random musician everytime he makes the thread.

no it actually is garcia. Ive probably missed a couple of threads but the last one I saw had a link to the garcia interview where he said it

Rude

Is this pasta?

I agree with this but chill out mannnnnn

His music is for brain dead retards

>Implying rap isnt

>I'm going to grow a neckbeard
How do people think like this?

doesn't try to insult...just states things plain and accurate...
still dummies are offended

Kek. Well played.