Eternal Arsenal Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/BBCSport/status/840563758338592769
twitter.com/chriswheatley_/status/840580929701707777
squawka.com/news/8-damning-stats-showing-alexis-sanchez-is-part-of-the-problem-at-arsenal-not-a-victim/916886#ohSr7vEdiB1XmMvO.97
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'll get it out of the way right up top: I want Wenger to stay. Even if you want nothing more than for him to leave, please try and read this with an open mind.

My feeling is that a lot of people are looking at things in a kind of skewed way that doesn't really make any sense, and it's effecting their judgement when it comes to Arsene. There are a lot of people who are saying that Wenger's time is up, and that he's taken us as far as he can. I would argue that this is the first season where that fact looks possible, or even arguable, but I think it's pretty naive to just assume that it's the case.

I would say that apart from this season and last season, Wenger has pretty much consistently overachieved as our manager, and I think most people in the clear light of day would agree with that. It's kind of hard to argue with the facts: given our budgets he did an unbelievable job to stay in the top 4 all those years and to keep us competitive enough for our fans to (somewhat understandably) feel entitled to league titles. The "victim of his own success" cliché is very much true in my opinion, if we hadn't come so close so many times during the barren years, people probably wouldn't have grown so frustrated, and people probably wouldn't look at the last couple of years (which have admittedly been similar) as being all a part of the same thing.

There are so many ifs and buts, and people always say this is in a sort of anti-Wenger way, like "there's all these ifs and buts and excuses, but top managers and elite players just win stuff!" The fact is, no matter what illogical lens you want to look at it through, the ifs and buts are totally valid.

We've had:

One of the worst injury records of any premiership club.

Financial constraints.

Pretty terrible home support.

Very bad atmosphere amongst fans and poor attitude towards the manager (which has been for about ten years, not just the last two.)

The first of those points: the injuries. One could argue that they are Wenger's fault, I'm not sure about that. None of really know why we get so many injuries, everybody seems to have an opinion but quite honestly to me it seems like something that is probably just out of his hands. Arguably the club (including, but not limited to Wenger) should have done something sooner, but it seems like we are now making some progress in that regard (although still with some pretty terrible luck in terms of which players get the most injuries.) Imagine how the last couple of seasons could have gone if Cazorla wasn't injured all the time. We look unbelievable with him in the side. YES we should have other options, YES we should be more flexible, but the fact is that we have had a ridiculous amount of these injuries to cope with and sometimes you just aren't going to be able to find an instant solution, especially when you haven't had the luxury of years of the requisite financial clout to just throw money at every problem you have as a club.

Number two: the financial constraints. I've already covered those a bit, but the part I would like to add is the fact that people keep pointing out that we spent 200m over the last 3 seasons, but neglect to acknowledge the fact that we are spending that because of the ridiculous amount of holes that have accumulated during our period of spending fuck all and having to sell all our best players (unfortunately we haven't had our two best players go to Madrid like Spurs have, we got absolutely fuck all for most of our big names). Our net spend over the last 5 years has been half that of Manchester City (who were already spending huge before that) and far lower than Uniteds. .Prior to the last 5 years or so we were right down the bottom in terms of net spend. Another issue is that we haven't been competing with the big clubs for long and so it's harder to attract top talent.

Third and final: the terrible home support and incredibly negative attitude of some fans over the last 10 years. Whilst this isn't all fans, it has undeniably had a massive effect. The negativity has been going on since long before it's even been arguable whether or not Wenger was overachieving. People have been complaining like mad, booing players, whinging every time something doesn't go our way. The fact that for about 10 years there has been talk of whether or not Arsene would keep his job is a testament to a.) people being incredibly ignorant of the work he's done, and b.) the board essentially using him as a scapegoat and waiting until after the financial constraints were (sort of) lifted before properly informing the fans of what went on during the stadium rebuild

This negativity has undeniably carried over, and a squad that only recently should begin having expectations of winning major honours has instead been burdened with 10 years worth of build up frustration and animosity from fans. Wenger and the players were never given the clean slate that they deserved. People say they want him gone based on the last 2 years, but it's pretty obvious that the last 2 years are lumped in with the 10 or so before that and effect people's judgement. The same people who have been moaning for the last 10 years expect to be taken seriously when they update it with "but we've spent money recently!" The phrase "broken clock" comes to mind and it kind of makes it impossible to take their emotions fully seriously. The people yelling on AFTV might for the first time have a point that approaches some semblance of sanity or rationality, but even then it's something that's up for debate and that we should all be thinking a bit harder about. It's also impossible not to think "where the fuck have you guys been for the last 10 years?" Most of these people have been whinging like toddlers for that whole time and now are demanding to be taken seriously.

We've all been incredibly frustrated for a long time now, and this season has been particularly awful, one of the worst in memory. But I feel like as with all things in life; when things go badly it's important to not allow it to cloud your judgement and make you think in half-thoughts. People glance at the surface and say "it's been the same for X number of years, it will always be the same" and they don't really think about how illogical that is. It hasn't been the same, it's changed a lot, and there's nothing to suggest it will always be the same or that we won't improve. The fact is whilst we can speculate, we don't really know what went wrong this season. We don't know what's been going on in the dressing room, or behind the scenes, there is a hell of a lot of stuff that will probably always remain behind the curtain. Naturally there are some things that you can see clearly going wrong on the pitch tactically, but I think that stuff can be quite misleading at times and can make you give up, thinking you've found the answer. Ferguson had his fair share of bad habits too, but we don't really remember them because of the success he was afforded through circumstance and his own talents as a manager. For the most part Wenger has only had one of those priveleges. You can be a great manager and still have tonnes of flaws.

To sum up: I think we have problems at our club that go way beyond Wenger. I've outlined some, but not all of these things (already conscious of how long this has been.) There's a lot more I want to add but it's hard for me to keep all of these things in my head at once, and my attention span isn't great when it comes to longform writing like this. May add ammendments later. I have a lot of work to do tonight and realistically probably shouldn't be spending this long writing this but I felt like I had to get it off my chest. If he ends up being pushed out of the club I would feel like shit for not speaking up more.

Wenger could have left us so long ago for bigger clubs with more money and less stress, but he stayed and finished what he started. He's been unbelievably loyal and has given everything he has to this club. He gave up his marriage for this job. I'm not ready to give up on him yet. I don't think there are many of you that could honestly look him in the eye and tell him you don't think he deserves another two years to see what he can do. The worst case scenario is really not that bad, and the possibility of it certainly doesn't go away if we replace him, if anything the potential worst case scenario there becomes even worse. We don't really have a clue what will happen next season, despite us feeling like we will. We didn't know the banter years would happen until they did. We didn't think we'd win back-to-back FA cups until we did. We didn't know we'd sign Sanchez and Ozil until we did. Admittedly we also didn't know we'd get battered 10-2 on aggregate by Bayern until we did! It goes both ways, but everybody is a know-it-all after the fact, and I don't want to be that way about the man who has turned us into a stable club big enough to have consistent title winning aspirations. If things stay the same after another two years the fine, that will be enough to convince me, and the fans won't leave the board with much of a choice anyway. Until then though I think he's done more than enough to deserve to make his own decision and there's nothing I want more than for him to stay.

Wenger OUT

>I want Wenger to stay
Stopped reading there. I'm actually pissed off you would start the thread off like this. Fuck you and fuck Wenger.

Is this from Reddit, it's the sort of thing I'd expect to see there.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>10-2

>our budget

You mean the 100+m cash reserves that's available to use, but Arsene just chooses to ignore it?
You think the man who bid 40m plus ONE POUND for a world-class striker can take us any further than a top 4 finish and a tound of 16 CL exit?

No thank you. I'd rather see Arsenal with a good run in Europa for a couple of seasons than endure another trashing by Bayern/Barca and Arsene doing a >m-muh mental strength speech

Everyone is tired of this shit except for Arsene. Pretty sure the global Arsena fanbase is stagnating ot even decreasing because he hasn't won a title or CL (lol as if) in fucking years

>AKB
guaranteed replies

This
Pretty much negates to 4-part essay that precedes it

Based Jewmaican

>You mean the 100+m cash reserves that's available to use, but Arsene just chooses to ignore it?
You can't even care about this with Wenger in charge. He literally spent £100m last summer and look what he did for us. Absolutely nothing.

£10m on one player or £100m on four. It doesn't make a difference as long as Wenger is in control.

So for the future now that we're losing the shit turkroach & Spicy should look like this.

>american lineup builder posts

wish there was a way to filter these

>100+m cash reserves
nearly triple that actually

and wenger fucking sucks at transfers anyway. xhaka cost more than kante including wages

it's not the english have any tacticians.

Tbh Kante actually wants to win trophies so Arsenal was never an option

the emirates has killed the club

Ashburton Grove when?

We should just lose today, we are one of the weakest teams left

why didn't we sign Sane?

Wenger is our manager

he takes no chances and only do things that might make people look back and think he's some sort of genius

1-0 lincoln incoming

praying for it desu

Anyone born after wenger took over as manager should shut up

Why is this man so amazing.

God, i actually love him

twitter.com/BBCSport/status/840563758338592769

Coq will never be this good

That's not even that good. If you watched the match you'd know all he did was recycle possession. That's just what Arteta did.

Fuck off you disgusting Wenger apologist

You're a right weirdo sometimes you know.

filthy scumbag

Does anyone have the lineup for todays game please?

Ive got lincoln to win for £680 and if lolbeck is playing,its a sure thing.

2 hours

What the fuck is wrong with our fans?

Football fans are biased

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

>Wilshere on the bench again

WHAT THE FUCK
EDDIE HOWE OUT

[Pic Related / 4U]

oh and here in case anyone ever wants to use that picture without the stupid text at the bottom (and the dumbass mspaint block to the right) #YoureWelcome

bretty good OC

reminder

twitter.com/chriswheatley_/status/840580929701707777

lol

>The moment Ramshit realized that Wenger and himself are finished

reddit as fuck

hopefully he stays after wenger fucks off
playing welbeck over him is a tragedy

HOLY FUCK
FUCK OFF WENGER YOU PIECE OF SHIT
HOW THE FUCK IS PEREZ NOT STARTING IN A CUP GAME LET ALONE THE LEAGUE

Reminder to ignore the haters and ABAs and to always support Wenger and Arsenal FC no matter what. It seems most posters here are incapable of these things which makes them shitty fans.

Perez will unitonucally move to Everton and score 20 goals there next season

Then Wenger will find an excuse for not starting him, probably citing Iwobi's development

>a fucking smelly curry arsenal "fan" bashing Wenger and Welbz

If you can't get behind the team why don't you just fuck off and support a manchester money club instead?

WELBECK OUT

>a fucking smelly gypsy arsenal "fan" supporting Wenger and Welbz

It's weird how most the people expecting Wenger to leave aren't Arsenal fans. I feel like we all know he's going to stay.

Afternoon lads,
Ready for the game?

Wenger IN

Odds are 18:50/1 for Lincoln City against Arsenal. Would you?

Arsenal 'bout to get dicked

Sad!

if xhaka gets sent off early it could happen

worth a fiver

What Wenger achieved in the 8 or so years after moving to the Emirates is respectable given his budget. But you also need to remember that there are only three other English clubs that were in a better position than Arsenal during those years (United, Chelsea and City). So top 4 every year isn't exactly over-achieving, it's just an average, expected performance for Arsenal. Ever since around 2013, Arsenal have been able to spend big again (which was proven when we broke the club record with Ozil). So realistically we should have been challenging for the title since then as well. But the same issues that plagued Arsenal in the past few years still affected them after 2013. The club should be improving but it's currently going backwards. 2016 was the perfect chance to win the league, every other bigger club had collapsed inexplicably. But Arsenal still had the same old story and lost the title to fucking Leicester City. And now there are 5 other clubs that seem to be doing better than Arsenal. So top 4 is no longer a given for us, it's something we actually have to fight for. Not to mention that our best players will probably leave in the summer and I haven't even mentioned the issues with his management.

It shows that Arsene can't take the club any further. It's unfair to say that he's not shown any promise in 10 years, but it is fair to say that he hasn't shown any promise in the last 3 years. And usually if a manager at a top club fails to challenge for the title for three seasons in a row, they have to leave. It's not just Arsene that needs to go, the entire board needs changing too. But the manager is the easiest thing to change and if we get the right manager, they may be able to put pressure on the board (which is something Wenger would never do).

Wenger out.
Based allegri in

squawka.com/news/8-damning-stats-showing-alexis-sanchez-is-part-of-the-problem-at-arsenal-not-a-victim/916886#ohSr7vEdiB1XmMvO.97

>muh work rate
>muh passion
>muh heading
>muh finishing
>muh through balls
Really makes you think, the ozil btfo Sanchez goat squad especially.

thx dude. call me "the american autist" all the way up to "autismbro" or whatever-- at the end of the day i like to think that my paragraphs of bullshit are more than offset by all the screencaps/OC i toss in here "for the community!"

plus if y'all aint ever heard of >The Arsenal Man, holy shit, dude's instagram is some kind of super-autism that's light years beyond anything i can ever hope to accomplish! i hope to keep on doing my part in bringing little bits of it to /arse/ with a little help from my CS3!

Ofc Sanchez is the best arsenal player currently. That doesn't mean >we get fucked any more than we are once he leaves.

kek

>Ox CAM

>10 (TEN) - 2

>shit at passing
>shit at assisting
>shit at converting chances
yes, this is alexis sanshit

it's the 4-3-3 that actually did well you stupid fucks. Perez should start for giroud though

>still no Perez

anyone else get the impression that this was a signing forced on Wenger and this is his way to protest it?

I have been saying that for months.
The cunt is abusing the club on every level.
But for some reason it is more fashionable to hate on Özil.

>sacrificing Ospina who did nothing wrong.
>no Holding
>no BFG
>no Debush
>no Lucas
>no Özil

only trophy left to go for so wenger is starting his best in form line up

>no BFG
why would you? He's old and shit and should be sold in the summer
>no Debush
see above. Not saying Bellendo is much better but I'd rather he start desu
>no Ozil
good. Hope the cunt fucks off in the summer
>Ospina
is somehow even worse than Cech. Doesn't help that he's a literal manlet who is a poorer shot stopping than a thalidomide victim

welbeck was also forced on him, but he seems to love him, fuck

I personally think, if we held possession whenever Sanchez lost it, we would have scored a lot more goals vs the smaller clubs. That's just me. Maybe Sanchez needs to go bck to start and ozil needs to see more of the ball at the cam position. For that, >we need Santi back, so ozil doesn't plays 3deep5me

It's Lincoln not ManU.

I'd imagine that Ospina has low confidence after conceding 10 goals in two games.

You're retarded.

>Howe drops Wilshere
>Bournemouth start picking up points again
Hmmm

Replace Walnut and Giroud with Welbeck and Perez and that should be our starting team for the rest of the season

Everton are unironically going to finish above us

He is selfish and Arsenal are fools for enabling him.
He wasn't such a big shot when he arrived.
Why does he have to laugh at the sidelines?
Why can't he come clean about leaving?
Why does he post more about his fucking dogs than the club?
Özil never made the club his plaything.

are you going to flop today?

>Bournemouth drawing against West Ham after 85 mins
>Wilsh comes on and they're winning within 5 minutes

hmmm really makes me think

based

Ozil is shit. Sanchez is not. That is the difference. Arsenal is Ozil's level. Sanchez is above Arsenal's level.

>Welbeck

literally 10x better than le stumble over his own feet and act tough despite being a manlet (lsohofaatdbam) man

He's the 3rd highest paid manager in the world
Anyone other club would sack him and actually demand results

How does Wengers asshole taste?`

But he's not. Welbeck is, and always will be absolute shite. I want him out of my club.

He will never play a better season than this one.
And that wasn't enough to lift his team to a trophy.

>people arguing about walcott vs welbeck
they're both terrible
wouldn't start in any other top 4 contender

Maybe because he is our top scorer and top assister?

>He's the 3rd highest paid manager in the world
lies

He's the 4th highest-paid manager, after Poop, Mouyes and Ancelotti.

Who else is /cosy/ right now?

Sorry you are right
4th behind Ancelotti, Mou and Pep

Who are all light years ahead of in ability

He is though. Walnut literally cannot run with a football. He can't dribble, his technical ability is literally zilch. He is a championship-standard footballer