So, I know this is a concept album... but what's the concept?

So, I know this is a concept album... but what's the concept?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jYetymNG8fw
youtube.com/watch?v=1ibYSz6doU4
theninhotline.net/archives/articles/otherinterpretation.shtml
twincitiesgeek.com/2015/03/i-am-finally-ready-to-talk-about-my-breakup-with-trent-reznor/
vulture.com/2017/07/trent-reznor-nine-inch-nails.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

"i hate myself and wanna die"

It's similar to The Wall as that was a huge inspiration during its creation. A man is falling apart and losing everyone in his life. Listen to the lyrics and it tells that story. 'Still' is a followup album or a companion that goes to the very bottom.

I've never actually listened to Still. I take it it's worth my time?

A lot like TDS
Just about falling apart and self destruction. A concept album in the loose sense that each song tries to convey a similar idea but there is no story or progression to the album necessarily

Reznor explains it best.

Still is awesome. Plus it has a version of The Becoming from The Downward Spiral that is amazingly cool. Worth an hour of your time

It's concept is being a concept album.

Trent is still pissed because Kid A is considered a classic by critics because it was 10 tracks and if he just 10 tracks off The Fragile as an album it's be called the greatest of the decade. Fansof his music don't care, The Fragile is a masterpiece.

Reaching what you think is the bottom, only to find you can still collapse even further

Its pretty much equivalent to NIN "unplugged" or "acoustic". Its mostly old material. Its worth at least a listen though.

I fucking love how much NIN talk there has been on this board lately, glad so many anons are getting into them.

just fell in love with this one boys

youtube.com/watch?v=jYetymNG8fw

Lyrics to Even Deeper sum it up

I hear this explanation a lot in the music actually. The Fragile feels thematically fragmented but perfectly sequenced musically.
Adding this to the topic: If you had to cut The Fragile down to 10 tracks, what would you pick?
I only got into them this year. I had avoided them because I assumed it was your average edgy teen bullshit. Boy was I wrong.

A lot of hate threads were shitting on Reznor, but I think people are starting to come out of the closet (going back to the bottom)

Speaking of back to the bottom
Live 2013 version of The Big Come Down to blow you away
youtube.com/watch?v=1ibYSz6doU4

Real fuckin' long but this might be worth a read: theninhotline.net/archives/articles/otherinterpretation.shtml

She's got Reznor's cute straight nose

10 songs off The Fragile, not in order

Just Like You Imagined
Even Deeper
Into the Void
La Mer
The Wretched
Underneath It All
Ripe (With Decay)
I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally
The Mark Has Been Made

/thread

We still can continue chating about NIN, IMO.

twincitiesgeek.com/2015/03/i-am-finally-ready-to-talk-about-my-breakup-with-trent-reznor/

Read this petty hitpiece on Hesitation Marks/Atticus and laugh/cringe/get triggered

>Sobriety. How to Destroy Angels. ATTICUS. Bodybuilding.
I didn't need to go any further than that, but I did anyway. What shit taste
>Didn't even get to In Two before giving up
Absolutely shit fuckin' taste

>I fucking love how much NIN talk there has been on this board lately, glad so many anons are getting into them.

Sup Forums's been getting flooded with increasing amounts of underage Redditors in recent times, and IIRC NIN is a Reddit pseud favorite.
It's fairly obvious that 90% of the people making and posting in threads about this band are underage.
You can tell from the tone of their posts, the awful humor that they use, the obsessive teenage infatuation with Trent Reznor.

Fun fact: no matter how many threads you make about this band, they will never be anything more than MTV pop-industrial/modern rock schlock.

Who cares about any of this

I'm not a NIN fan but you are part of the problem with this board recently

NIN being pop-industrial is why they're great though. Combining the accessibility of pop and the abrasiveness of industrial is difficult to pull off well. It's a fairly unique combination and I can't really think of anything else that sounds like The Fragile or The Downward Spiral. Top notch production too.

>I'm not a NIN fan but you are part of the problem with this board recently

No, you are.
And I'm not sure what compelled you to respond to my post if you're not a NIN fan. The fact that you're underage, maybe?

As long as you understand that what you're listening to is a band that is maybe a notch or two more respectable and intelligent than Korn or Linkin Park, it's all good.
NIN isn't the absolute bottom of the barrel, but they're pretty close to the bottom.

I just assumed once shit gets accepted everyone on this board who was a closet NIN fan has come out. I think everyone on this board is afraid hearing what people think of their favorite music or artist. This is why the content on this board is always the same shit year after year.

I'm not a big NIN fan but I really don't care if people like them. Still not as obnoxious as any other fan base on Sup Forums.

>Still not as obnoxious as any other fan base on Sup Forums.

They're very obnoxious. Underage children usually are.

You summed it up perfectly. Being accessible enough is a major part of innovative and creative music. You have to get your ideas across in a digestible form.

Oh someone, the downward spiral is an emotional, mechanical, loud masterpiece. I don't like it that much but he made atleast one or two great albums.

You sound like such a paranoid faggot.
>people are talking about this band now it must all be reddit!
There's tons of cringey fanbases here, animal collective, death grips, grimes, swans, get your head out of your ass.

>There's tons of cringey fanbases here, animal collective
I never got this meme. AnCo's fanbase always seemed pretty harmless.

>no Somewhat Damaged
Come on

This sounds like a joke

I see that now, but I fucked up and only put 9 on the list. Yes, Somewhat Damaged is classic. If 11, probably Pilgramage

>If you had to cut The Fragile down to 10 tracks, what would you pick?
1. Somewhat Damaged
2. The Day the World Went Away
3. Into the Void
4. We're in This Together
5. Just Like You Imagined
6. The Way Out Is Through
7. I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally
8. The Big Come Down
9. La Mer
10. The Great Below

Very nice indeed.

>not liking the Pilgrimage

Hmm

It's because he's p4kcore now

It's sad that people finally admit to like something only after a stupid site that they read gave it a high score. Can't wait to see how many Madonna's thread will be here in the future.

because he's /ourdad/ now

It wouldn't even surprise me at this point with all of the pop threads we already have

not to mention the new interview where he talks about profound thinkers of reddit wondering what 'fuck you like an animal' means

trent may now be a total cornball but THE FRAGILE is and always was classic, and the pitchfork review back when it was new at 2 was laughable and nobody then took that site seriously, and now it is STILL bullshit but more people have heard of it

link?

>cornball
What?
Is it because he said something mean about Trump?

The concept of The Fragile can be considered as a sequel to The Downward Spiral, yet much more audio graphical, The Downward Spiral had a clear protagonist who was supposed to bear some resemblance to Trent himself.

But when it comes to The Fragile, this is Trent, full on, it is about the protagonist already being at the bottom of the album and trying to rebuild himself.

We're In This Together/The Fragile seem to be about the protagonist trying to protect someone else as he thinks he cannot fix himself, but can someone else, yet it doesn't work out and she commits suicide by drowning (La Mer).

In the Great Below he tries to yell to God, he is desperately asking God to sacrifice himself for her life, and then he jumps to the water himself.

Then the second disc starts "The Way Out Is Through" he emerges from the water and is determined to try to fight against his depression.

Yet he can still "feel it" no matter what he does, he comes to acceptance that his depression will always be there.

"All I do, I can still feel you" in Underneath It All is about protagonist's acceptance, no matter what he does that feeling of dread remains. The album ends where it began, with nothing being resolved, Trent/protagonist is still alone and severely depressed.

You can consider With_Teeth a sequel. As "Love Is Not Enough" is an obvious call back to "We're In This Together", in this album he actually comes clear and starts progressing in life.

this shit is fucking cornball. trump has nothin to do with it
vulture.com/2017/07/trent-reznor-nine-inch-nails.html

He's just being an old guy. They ask the questions. What else is he supposed to do. Answer them dishonestly? He's ever had a filter. Why should now be any different. Also he shut down the avatar for white male angst bullshit.

Also

>taking an article serious that couldn't be bothered to do basic fucking fact checking such as woodstock 94 not being in 1991

maybe you are a cornball too. but that's my standard for cornball. maybe you think he sounds cool. i think he sounds like he cares too much what others think and is still mad about sales for a shitty 2008 digital release and really wants people to like year zero. etc. cornballery

Maybe you're a cornball for getting mad over a month old interview, where he is specifically asked about these things and instead of being a robot about it, expresses actual feelings about failure to connect, or achieve his goals.

keep sucking trent's dick why don't ya

And here I was thinking you had some sort of credibility.Thank you for what you really are.

You can fuck off anytime you'd like.

Quality retort there friend

I like how Reznor specifically comments on how he wanted We're in this together now to be a desperate song about two human beings in the same sinking ship. And then it still turns out to be one of his most inspiring pieces.

I think the title track "The Fragile" is much more inspiring.

Mmm love Trent's balls in my mouth while mommy watches

why is The Lovers so fucking absorbing

I always interpreted The Fragile as Trent and someone close to him hiding away from the rest of the world. It sounds like he's trying to 'shield' them from everyone else when he talks about building a wall to "keep them on the other side".

He is hiding Poopy Mommy from his anal bloodbath horror neighbors