Are Dinosaur Jr. any good?

Are Dinosaur Jr. any good?

I mean they're critically acclaimed and unique but why don't you listen for yourself and find out

j mascis is an all time great songwriter and guitarist

this is one of the best rock albums, but their other albums aren't that good except for Green Mind but it's still not as good as this

Dinosaur's debut is one of the most original rock records ever recorded. It's not for everyone, but there is literally nothing like it on earth. It's one of those records old fuxx like me love more and more as we experience more and more of the pop spectrum, and its uniqueness becomes clearer and clearer. YLAOM is a mint classic, all but incontestable, enshrined in the noise rock canon, but there's something about its iconic status that unfairly overshadows Bug, which is not a bad record at all.
Find me another record that has a guitar tone as punishing as the phased intro to "Let it Ride" - seriously, you've never heard anything like it. And "Budge" is just fucking triumphant skate-punk, baggie painter pants thrash joy, song is a fucking bolt of sunshine. "Pond Song," adorable, and "They Always Come" is probably Mascis' best "complex" song. That there's a song called "Yeah We Know" on it is kind of an admission of its status as a treading-water LP; it's Dinosaur Jr.'s New Day Rising.

I like them quite a bit, but not all their albums. I'll be seeing them in Massachusetts next month.

Farm is my favorite. I don't really like any of the 90's albums, except for Where You Been, which I like a lot. The most recent two albums are ok.

feel the pain is their best song, fite me

MOTORHEAD BASS SOUND

>debut

>reading comprehension

They're great

The fact that they have been able to reunite many years after and release good albums is pretty impressive too

thats a testament to how good of a songwriter j mascis is. he writes literally everything

my reading comprehension is fine. learn to structure your shitty posts.

not him but he was talking about the debut? i don't see what's hard to comprehend

I think Barlow writes and sings some in the recent albums, like 1 or 2 per. They sound super fillery and boring to me.

One of my favorite bands.

Just a generally consistent catalog of enjoyable noisy rock music.

You're Living All Over Me and Bug are can't miss noise rock albums, Farm and Green Mind are the highlights of their more chilled out stuff.

>BACKK TOOO YOURR HEARRT

not really, just listen to sonic youth instead

really different bands. dinosaur jr. always had more a melodic bent to their songwriting, especially on later albums like Where You Been

Sonic Youth loved their chromatic scales and minor chords. There's room in your life for both bands

wasn't thurston moore a big fan of the debut?

Actually you're a fucking idiot and can't read. Kill yourself.

But Farm's got a great big dense guitar and a few excellent solos. The mood is different though.

>but there is literally nothing like it on earth.

he's a better than average guitarists but come on. it's just decent enough alt.rock

All that being said, I think they're one of those bands where you had to be there. I can't attack people for saying "meh, what's so special" when listening to their music.

YLAOM is top 20 for the 80's, nothing else really charts for me in retrospect.

I don't notice it

and basically plays everything