1st metal best metal

Why was the first ever metal band the best one ? You'd think that after 47 years they'd have been surpassed by now, but thats definitely not the case.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HXRBLyLQtiM
youtu.be/haVaaDLwWvI
youtu.be/UJ-5PEBhi2c
youtu.be/m76KOirLmIw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Judas Priest>Black Sabbath

literally who?

lurk more

Why is this hack still alive?

I've been here since 2008. Nobody in the world knows who you just posted or why their opinion is somehow relevant to this thread.

*teleports behind you*
nuthin personnel

Black Sabbath was so ahead of the time it's not even funny

Pretty close 2nd coming thru.

Pretty much everything that happened in hard rock for 20 years was due to three albums--Paranoid, LZ IV, and Exile on Main Street.

The critics in the early 70s didn't like Sabbath because they were all upper middle class hipsters and they wanted lyrics with messages of optimism and not doom.

deep purple was the first metal band

>Why was the first ever metal band the best one ?
Clear Light played metal first and they were not the bests though.

Except they were not. They were playing a style that had already existed for 3 years already. This without even considering their contemporaries like Sir Lord Baltimore, so you should give credit for both at least.

and only

>They were playing a style that had already existed for 3 years already

I think Eric Clapton was the first guy to have that overdriven blues rock sound, he did it in 1966 but Jimi Hendrix was the first to popularize it.

I don't really understand the argument for Deep Purple.

Cream, Black Sabbath, and Judas Preist are the only acceptable arguments in my opinion.

I mean this
youtube.com/watch?v=HXRBLyLQtiM
Black Sabbath before Black Sabbath

The Vanilla Fudge

Metal evolved from 60s psych rock. That was where the idea of long, drawn out instrumental jams and surreal imagery came from. Sabbath were a natural evolution of that, with darker lyrics in place of 60s optimism.

Rainbow>Deep Purple

>just discovered Heavy Psych
Good for you, buddy.

I didn't know Black Sabbath were Heavy Psych, pretty cool, I guess. Who was the first metal band then?

This

Weird, that's not The Kinks

And Ronnie James Dio Sabbath > Ozzy Sabbath

Ticket to Ride was the first metal song of all time

Nah, it was Oh Boy

>Metal evolved from 60s psych rock. That was where the idea of long, drawn out instrumental jams and surreal imagery came from
From reading Christgau's various columns and his anti-Sabbath butthurt, it seems that he never really accepted what happened with rock in 67-69 and he seems to think things should have stayed in the mid-60s British Invasion style forever when things were neat, bright, and poppy.

Kinks were more punk than metal, and after their proto punk they went to a more Baroque rock sound (but Wicked Anabela is the first grunge song)

Depends on what you classify as Metal.

I really like the argument for Judas Priest, as they were the first band to completely do away with the blues influences. For bands like Cream and Black Sabbath to be declared the first metal band, we then have to consider the majority of 70s hard rock that came afterwards, such as Rush and Led Zeppelin, metal as well.

Black Sabbath is the first band you can argue shared very little similarities with 70's hard rock, but Judas Priest is the first band where there is no argument at all.

As to your first point, if metal never caught on then we'd be calling Sabbath Heavy Psych.

I'd argue The Who was more punk than The Kinks. My Generation was a giant fuck you to The Greatest Generation (not sure what WW2 generation was called in England).

>but Wicked Anabela is the first grunge song

Didn't Neil Young claim to be the inventor of grunge?

1) I agree Judas Priest being the first metal band is a consistent and reasonable argument.
2) I disagree that if we accept Black Sabbath as a metal band it follows that Rush or Led Zeppelin were metal too.
3) In all cases, I disagree Black Sabbath were the firsts to play a metal song.

>if metal never caught on then we'd be calling Sabbath Heavy Psych.
Correct.

If you are going to mention an early garage band, at least mention The Sonics.

>My Generation was a giant fuck you to The Greatest Generation

Pete Townshend said he wrote the song when the Queen Mother had his 1935 Cadillac hearse towed from the street because she got tired of looking at it every day on her daily drive. So it's not really that deep, he was just a butthurt 20 year old kid writing a "Fuck you, old people" song.

They were both the two big names of the mod scene. The Who had My Generation, but The Kinks had Well Respected Man, both bands were oposing the WW2 generation

The Sonics remind me of more dirty rock and roll, a la The Stooges or even The Pink Fairies. They laid the roots for heavy metal, but I think The Kinks kicked it in the ass.

So like the majority of most punk songs. How many punk songs are truly deep?

>I agree Judas Priest being the first metal band is a consistent and reasonable argument

Motorhead, but Priest had three albums out before their first. But they were already playing speed metal since getting together in 1975, before anyone else thought to break away from that 70s sludge rock sound.

You all are bunch of plebs, heavy rock music were invented in 1965 in PERÚ: youtu.be/haVaaDLwWvI

>Motorhead
What? They formed after JP and recorded music after JP.

>1965
>not 1964
Also, that's punk rock, not metal.

James Hetfield just said "Geez, all I wanted to do was write a song about a guy stepping on a landmine" when people would repeatedly ask him in interviews if One had some 2deep4u hidden meaning.

who cares let's jam

What was Neil's first "grunge" song? Keep On Rockin' In The Free World?

But it was influenced by Johnny Got His Gun.

music categorization > music

>What? They formed after JP and recorded music after JP

Priest dates all the way back to 1970, but they didn't discover speed metal until 77 while Motorhead had been playing it since their formation in 75, although their first album wasn't released until August 77.

>Also, that's punk rock, not metal
What about this: youtu.be/UJ-5PEBhi2c

My dad said it's hilarious how when you were a teenager, you'd ponder the meaning of rock lyrics and if they had some incredibly deep, thought provoking message when it was really just a song about doing drugs or having sex.

You might say Elvis was doing punk rock in 1956.

Speed Metal wasn't a thing until 1979/1980 though?

I'm not sure about that, but that song is certainly something...

>Speed Metal wasn't a thing until 1979/1980 though?
_After_ Sin After Sin, Stained Class, and Overkill had been released?

I remember Lemmy's last interview before he died, this German interviewer asks him "What exactly did you do that was different musically?" He said "Well...for one thing, we played faster. The critics all hated us, said we wouldn't last six months. It's 40 years later, they're all gone and I'm still here, so fuck those guys."

Speed or thrash metal?

When Overkill was released. I admit I haven't listened to the other two, but judging by rym genre votes, those two recordings don't appear to have any speed metal. I mean:
>Sin After Sin
>Speed Metal
>voted for: (1) :
>voted against: (69):

hell be fine

Certainly the Beatles were doing punk rock in the Liverpool club days.

>Speed Metal wasn't a thing until 1979/1980 though?
Bodies by The Sex Pistols (1977)?

>I admit I haven't listened to the other two

Track 1 of both albums, speed metal.

Huh? Is this bait?

>He said "Well...for one thing, we played faster
That was a thing, if you read 70s critics like Christgau, they were constantly complaining about 70s sludge rock. It's too slow, there's no energy, you can't get up and bop your head to it.

You be the judge: youtu.be/m76KOirLmIw
Ps: Ringo on drums, btw

My sister (who was born in 90 and not alive for the 70s by any stretch), she says she doesn't much like Sabbath and Zeppelin because too slow and you can't mosh to it, she thinks rock began with Motorhead.

Dio's Rainbow > Dio's Black Sabbath > Dio's Stand users

Ozzy's Sabbath > Dio's Sabbath
But
Heaven and Hell > Paranoid

It's literally impossible to reinvent the wheel. Sabbath invented a rock wheel.

It's really hard to improve on perfection. Title track still pumps hard. Planet Caravan is a blue print for all dark psyche compositions. So much is great.

I wanted to like Master Of Reality but all that Christan preachy bullshit halfway through turned me off.
I don't mind religions, but when its so blatantly shoved down my throat, I just can't get into it.