Why do rock and music critics tend to dislike progressive rock?

Why do rock and music critics tend to dislike progressive rock?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YsiAsTa0oEI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'd say it's the lad mentality. The exact opposite of what people took John Lydon for. The people who hung out in pubs, wanted to have a nice chat and a drink with their mates, with background music reminding them of their youths, while on a short break from family troubles. Not something prog would be appropriate for by any stretch of imagination.

They only do if they procede to suck Punkrocks dick afterwards.

Aqualung isnt prog you dip

Partly because it's generally musical masturbation, often times an artist is trying to show off their skills on their instrument rather than make enjoyable music (Think stuff like ELP). However, the same thing happens in avant-garde jazz and the entire genre of hip hop is based around this concept so I'll let you draw your own conclusions from that. At the end of the day it's just what's in fashion, at the moment prog rock is not in fashion, at some point in the future it will probably come back and then you can expect to see Pitchfork giving 10/10's to reissues of Eloy records.

Not that anyone should care about Pitchfork, but Eloy is the last band you'd accuse of playing something for the sake of showing off technical skills. On the other hand, 2004. remaster of Ocean is a work of a genius. Listen to it if you haven't.

I was just pulling out a random prog rock band. Didn't mean to accuse them of musical wank.

you need to be completely wasted on drugs to make critic approved music.

Also critics themselves have no musical talents so of course they get mad when someone shows skills

>the entire genre of hip hop is based around this concept
explain this point please

I'm going to use this track as an example because I like it and it highlights my point well: youtube.com/watch?v=YsiAsTa0oEI
Musically speaking, this track is very simple, the rhythm remains the same throughout, as does the lead melody and the bass line. This is really the nature of sampling, the artist doesn't have much room to explore a melody when it has already been recorded by someone else. Thus the music becomes the background. Instead, it is the rappers skills that become the primary reason one listens to the music, and the main point of focus when reviewing. How they sound, their flow, their rhyme structure, etc. The rappers skills often become a prime focus in their lyrics. Of course hip hop has evolved since this track and the beats have changed as well, but the primary point still stands that the beats tend to be written with a focus on repetition of samples and rhythms in order to the artist to best rap over them.
I'm not sure if I've done a good job of explaining my point but that will do.

your original point was about
>an artist is trying to show off their skills on their instrument rather than make enjoyable music
but in your second post you go on to say
>Musically speaking, this track is very simple
surely that contradicts the idea of "musical masturbation"?
is the intrumental of the track you're discussing not as much a part of the track as the rapping is?

It's lyrical masturbation then, user's point still mostly makes sense

REAL critics love prog

You misunderstand, the rapper's voice is the instrument

Clearly I meant the rapper is using their voice as an instrument lad.

but what you said is
>the entire genre of hip hop is based around this concept
the entire genre of hip hop is based around DJing/turntablism, originally rapping wasn't that big a part of hip hop and the rapper was just there to act as a hype man for the DJ
so I don't think it's fair to say that the entire genre of hip hop is based around using the voice as an intrument

hence why instrumental hip hop is fairly commonplace whereas accapella hip hop is almost unheard of

Name one (1) person that actually enjoys instrumental hip hop

>rock and music critics tend to dislike progressive rock
[citation needed]

aqualung is hard rock by the way

Endtroducing is talked about here daily.

There's actually a lot of great songwriting in Prog rock, and bands like Yes, king crimson, Rush and Genesis were great songwriters aswell as players. It's not just technical wankery

Because Critics love punk

It's too white for them, but unironically
>Who are Robert Christgau and Jann Wenner?