Let's say there's a guy who knows nothing about baseball, absolutely zero

Let's say there's a guy who knows nothing about baseball, absolutely zero
Do you think you'll be able to make him understand the rules of baseball?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fzqsqBXMy7g
twitter.com/AnonBabble

probably yeah

yes

it's not a hugely complicated sport
there are intricacies just like any sport which just takes time watching to fully understand
pleb

It's not complicated if you don't care about stats or all the unwritten rules and formalities players and autist fans hold up as gospel.

i'd say don't even bother. the games are long and boring.

I was going to make a similiar thread, but since this one is already up, I'll post my pasta here.

>I don't know anything about the sport, other than the most basic rules. I don't know players or even the name of the positions. But I was wondering, in the NBA because of Golden State (more specifically Stephen Curry), the game has changed a bit because of their meme 3 points. Is there a gimmick or meme that would make a casual like me watch baseball? Right now I'm watching it because of the 2017 WBC since my country is there. Even if I do it because I want to support my country, it's boring as fuck.

I played baseball through college and I guarantee there's a bunch of retarded rules I've never even heard of

>three strikes and you're out
>he hit that one out off the park
>he is batting out of his league
There are so many baseball related idioms that Americans use. If I meet an American who tells me they have no idea how baseball is played I just some they're retarded.

I remember I once wanted to get interested in baseball but football somehow came before

I can easily make them understand the basic rules, but they'll have to watch the games to pick up the specifics.

Of course, it's easy to understand. It's not like it's [insert ANY other team based sport here, or golf]. The infield fly out and ground rules are as close as baseball gets to being complicated like offsides or scoring bowling.

Watch anime

Sure. The main rule is to enjoy yourself.

Ok, I'll be over in right field jerking off.

This. Just be yourself and the rest will follow.

The rules? Sure it isn't that difficult to understand.

All the sabermetric stuff? Might take a while.

>needing meme plays and styles to need to watch a sport

You need to be 18+ to post here.

Watch the clip of Jose Fernandez picking off Troy Tulowitzki from the mound and tell me that that's not entertaining as fuck.

youtube.com/watch?v=fzqsqBXMy7g

rip in pieces Jose

did the guy in red suit died?

It's a grill.

what happened?

moved the runner into sac fly scoring position by bunting a ball that was on the other side of the other batter's box.

Hit batsman. Need a pinch runner.

I just don't get how people fit a season of Baseball into their lives

the games are all roughly 3 hours or so long, and there's like over 150 of them right?

I don't get how you're supposed to even follow the sport without being a super fan, or just looking at scores and then watching one or two games a week at most. And then surely you're watching these games and they can't be all that spectacular, can they? because you're playing like 4 more games against this team this week, so don't push yourself to really make that one big difference in this one game cause this one game isn't important.

baseball just confuses me, it seems like a really fun time in person in the summer with some friends getting hot dogs and beers and basically just enjoying it as a beer garden with a pro sports team as entertainment, but I find it impossible to understand people who intensely follow it and watch every game and care about all the stats and stuff, it must take up so much of your life.

The basic game is easy to explain. All the meme rules are where it gets difficult. Takes years to learn them all.

unironically THIS.

You follow your fav team on TV, keep up with the standings and watch clips of games you can't watch in full on MLB.com

Sometimes they run the wrong way round.

Actually, she moved the runner on 1st to 2nd. Then the runner scored from 2nd on a passed ball.
Jap girls are fast.

>cause this one game isn't important.

Can you guys stop with this? How many times does a game or two difference come down to whether you make the playoffs or not? Actually quite often now especially with the new wildcard rules.

A man, yes.
A woman will never fully understand baseball.

I play vidya or do housework during the game and rewind if the announcers get excited.

>You follow your fav team on TV

yeah, but that's what I'm saying, just following your team must take up so much time.

>just following your team must take up so much time.

Not really.

>tfw watching a baseball anime broke my fucking heart

There's like 60 matches to follow in a typical soccer season.

Me on the middle right.

Nobody is really expecting you to watch every game, that's why everything in baseball is so stat heavy so you can look at the result of each game and essentially play it out in your head.

Is there a character who can never hit the ball? That was me in little league.

This. It's a great sport to have on the radio while doing summer activities and to go see live, because the experience is a fun one.

You usually watch 1-2 games a week unless it's a rivalry series, then you watch every game to see your rivals get pummeled into the ground.

>I just some they're retarded
uh huh.

Nice meme, buddy. Perhaps I didn't explain correctly. I'm only a casual for baseball, I really like baskeball (watching and even playing). But you see most of today's fans of the sport liking it because a team makes better 3 pointers and gain a huge lead because of it, blowing out other teams as a result. My question is, what meme plays could baseball do so it becomes interesting for casuals?

>How many times does a game or two difference come down to whether you make the playoffs or not?

Can you guys stop with this? You're telling me that you are gonna sit through 160 games to remember that one exact game you lost on a weekday in July that cost you the playoffs

get the fuck outta here. when we talk about one game being important, we talk about the NFL where 1 game is worth 6.25% of your season. Not the MLB where one game is 0.6% of your season

Games matter in April and May, whether you like it or not.

you're at most watching 2 games a week and they're 90 minutes long, that's a lot less than baseball

so honestly where is the enjoyment from it if you're not even expected to be watching most of the games? I genuinely don't mean this as riffing on the sport, it's always fascinated me and it seems cool, but it really puzzles me what mindset you're even supposed to approach it with. It confuses me just how uninvested you kinda have to be purely because of the seeming impossibility for most people to be keeping up with how often games are played.

The weirdest thing to me about baseball fans is when they use "you don't have to pay attention to it" as a reason why it's great. Like they'll say "I can just have it on in the background, it's comfy"

It's like, if a sport is worth watching, shouldn't you be paying close attention to it?

The Grand Slam.

Yes
Had a friend from Russia who was just taught the most basic rules of the game and understood it easily

One other option is playing the video games they can teach you everything in a hour especially the show which even gives you explanations for rule 5 etc..

People just have different tastes. I personally never watch NFL, because from my perspective, I feel like I am watching a 3 hour infomercial with some football sprinkled in. Others might not care as much.

It's the beauty of having 4 major leagues to choose from. We have options.

I think that a big thing about baseball is that due to the massive number of games and time commitment, it mean you become really attached to your own team.

I think that most people who watch baseball don't really watch other teams' games. Like nationally televised regular season games get pathetic TV ratings. It isn't like the NFL or NBA where even people who aren't fans of the teams will watch national games (national NFL games are the most watched shows on TV).

With the MLB there is literally no reason to watch other teams play, so you just really focus on your own team

This is true too. The only national games that get attention are the playoffs, and only if they involve your team.

>Can you teach someone a game?
That's a real tough one.

This. National games are pointless to watch for the most part.

mlb playoff games still get decent ratings. i dont watch baseball at all unless my team (a's) are good but i'll watch playoff series, even if i dont know most of the players except for the guys that we traded

yeah national games are pointless because you're watching a single game that doesnt matter with teams you don't care about. even if a sunday or monday night football game is with teams that arent yours, you know that the game matters a lot so its worth watching

>A's
>good

The A's are a fucking tragedy, bro.

Jokeland has some of the worst fans in baseball.

National games are strategy and thought provoking

American games are trailer trash retard tier

back in 2012-2014 when they played well i watched most games they played

>implying a's fans, while few in number, aren't the best

fuck off you retard

>muh double switches
>muh asthetic at a pitcher that gets a hit once in 50 PAs