Language Learning and Linguistic Trivia thread

thread for all things linguistic !
etimology, language families discussion, anything goes !

check out this extremelly exxagerated chart of the usage of spanish throughout the world
article says "Language is the petrol of Spain"

figg dini muetter

figg dini muetter
el hola

Reminder that Iberians and Basque were the only non-indoeuropean citizens in Europe
blue = celts and indoeuropeans
Vascones and Iberians probably used the same language long time before being split too

Hey

And Proto-Slavic: jestǐ

nice

i didnt know aragonese was its own thing or even existed

*mę
* --(otǐcǐ)
*mati
*bratrǔ
*dǔkti
*korva
* ?
* --(pǐsǔ)
* pęta
* novǔ
* bǐretǐ
* dva
* tri

wow

Russian:

mja(menja)
otec
mat'
brat
doč'
korova
?
pjos
pjata
novyj(-aja, -oje)
berjot
dva
tri

>father
tėvas
>daughter
not sure why it's 'dukter', it's dukra or duktė or dukteris
>asva
it's ašva/ashva but no one has used that word for like centuries. right now it's arklys/žirgas
>sun
that's just wrong, it's šuo/shuo
>foot
pėda
>bears
meškos/lokiai (plural)

Of all native speakers of romance languages, these are the languages they are speaking
maybe dukter was primitive lithuanian
same for sun

Have u ever tried to learn a non-IE language? Was it so hard?

its very hard
you can find common ground if you speak a romance language and try a different romance language
with non-IE language theres no common ground to start with

Nah, it's šuo, even Armenian there is wrong, it should be 'šun', not 'sun'.

dukter is just simply missing ending, it's like saying moth instead of mother in English, doesn't make sense

that graph doesn't even bother using correct letters

btw cow is karvė

Do you guys have a word for battlefield

We have "Log"

If you just purely interested in lingustics, you could try an Austronesian language, their phonology is very simple most the time, with usual structure and not much inflection (unless you try Tagalog or other Philippine languages, it's pretty hard)

It's what happens when everyone starts talking in Spanish and no one cares for the original language. It became dead not much longer after the union with Castile.

Soğıs maydanı(Kazakh)
Пoлe битвы[Pole bitvy](Russian)

I suppose it's better for him to learn some Altaic language(simple and logic grammar)

we have the words "Friolero" and "caluroso/caluriento" in spain (frio is cold, calor is hot)
If you are Friolero, it means that you easily feel cold and caluriento is the opposite

Does your language have anything similar?

no
campo de batalla - field of battle (word by word)

Nunca había oído caluriento, y no está en la RAE

>Altaic

You know how you can say "Go!" to tell someone to start doing something? Like "Go Go Go"
In German you can say "Los!" for that. But it also means something like fortune or Lottery ticket

yo se lo tengo oido a mi abuela, quizas sea una cosa de aldea, pero si que friolero es mucho mas comun

Ec which means walk

Y caluroso también, lo que no he oído es "caluriento"

?

haha i assumed "Los" meant something like "go" from movies and from the Medic in Team Fortress 2

Oмepeкa cocaт

I don't think that's an accepted language family

Their grammar is pretty similar desu
That was an advantage when I was learning Evenki(the basic vocabulary is also similar)

Evenki:
Akīnvdu ollo bisin
Akīn-v-du ollo bisin

Kazakh:
Ağamda balıq bar
Ağa-m-da balıq bar

*My brother has a fish

Bojišče
Log would mean either a forest or a grassy area by water.

>Los
Always makes me smirk because it means moose in Slovene.

>forest or a grassy area by water
So Riverside forest.
We have "gjazë" for that.

I still have trouble with 'fa caldo' meaning 'the weather is hot' in Italian, because the world caldo is so similar to the word cold.

I have to remind myself that the two words aren't related and caldo is actually related to cauldron, which makes sense.

No, either a forest or a waterside grassy area (that also be boggy). We have a bunch of words for both, especially for forest.

>Boggy
Well, for swamp we have the word moçal and këneta

Močvirje, mokrica, barje, morost and there's probably some more

Has anyone (or are there any studies that have) found Germanic languages easier/more fun than Romance ones (for English natives)? I've been studying italian on an off for years but really don't enjoy it. I'm only learning it for heritage reasons (and to get that eu passport).

Caldo pisses me off every time i read it. It's one of those words i have to consciously correct no matter how often i read it.

Tbh English itself is quite more fun than Italian, and I learned Italian B4 English

bump

caldo in spanish is soup
think of a steaming hot soup
it comes directly from latin caldo wich is simply "hot"

>Suecos hablan español
Bien meme :DDD

A soup? Like my favourite soup

S
O
P
A

D E

M A C A Q U E

Uma delicia do brazil :-D

It's not even clear if galicians spoke an indo-european language.

Hay quien dice que las glosas emilianenses están escritas en aragonés.