Why is this the best Pink Floyd album?

Why is this the best Pink Floyd album?

Because it doesn't sound like Pink Floyd.

explain

Personally, I like long songs....
This is somewhere between prog and conventional rock. There's also a subtle anger to it, without coming off as angsty,
I like that.
It's also an excellently engineer album. It sounds good, by 77 Pink Floyd would have had their playing and studio technique down pat.

I'm the same way, I feel like it makes time pass faster. I always listen to dogs to pass the time.

>beautiful instrumentation
>message/theme that anyone could get behind
>anger that's not angsty/edgy
>great lyrics
not their best though

What is their best to you and why is it better than Animals

The Wall
>more emotional depth
>better lyricism
>more complex themes
but mainly because it was the album that got me into music

thats my second. I think animals beats it because of its more interesting instrumentation, the wall is mostly vocal

I just like sad lonely fucks singing about their life, maybe if the Wall was a series of 18 ten minute + songs with the instrumental depth of Animals everyone would like it a lot more

Animals is great because each of the three songs is great. Dogs is a long, lamentating ballad with good guitar work and a pervasive sense of paranoia. Pigs turns heads on into a dark rocker, full of bitterness and energy, with a superb vocal showcasing Waters' talents (however few they are) very well, and with an innovative solo and a fitting electric guitar coda. Finally there's the groves of Sheep over a similarly cynical vocal from Waters, which finally bursts into the final coda of triumphantly cutting chords. Framed by a cute little ballad to downplay the melodrama of the concept which is required to get the more dramatic lyrics, it is a very complete package.

I can't agree. It seems like you like the wall for the lyrics and really to me the lyrics just seem like shallow metaphors and whining about the woes of being famous. While Animals isn't too lyrically different, Animals uses the lyrics to dramatize the music, while The Wall uses the music, often satirically, to illustrate what the lyrics are saying. Really there aren't many songs that are actually meant to be taken musically seriously, lots of parodic pop rock songs and the like, and even those we're supposed to take seriously are fairly generic and muddy. But of course a personal connection to an album can be a powerful thing.

I think its hard to leave out Pigs on the wing, even though it's like, five chords. It's a beautiful song

he didn't leave it out you just skimmed it

The guy you're arguing with just likes to point out things that make him sound smart

Songs longer than should be legally allowed. Gilmour is absolutely on fire. Waters divvys the human race into Dogs, Pigs and Sheep. The coldest trip put to music. All perfectly bookended by Pigs on the Wing I & II. A masterpiece.

well said

Meddle got me into them.
Piper was next. awesome
then all the rest.
I'd put #1 at a tie with Piper or the Final Cut (hehe isnt that funny)

How do you like the Wall, seeing as you hodl the final cut up so high

Well I find animals/wall/final cut a trilogy
and I find the find the animals the lovely buildup (neaded for any story), the wall as the lovely climax, and the final cut the devastation that is left in the wake. I love the trilogy but damn seeing waters cough up blood and the last of his lyrics in the band like a man thats been through a lot really hits me

thats an interesting take

You gotta be crazy...

piper>saucerful>more>meddle>whom cares

wrong

Yeah i dont know.
I always thought that the 3 was part of 1 big epic

oh more is good

yeah sorry, i meant
piper>saucerful>madcap laughs>more>barrett>meddle>whom cares

We get it you like barret jesus i thought this meme died a few years ago

Barret is good, you can leave the thread

What did he mean by this*

who said barret is bad? It's just, objectively, they got better after barret.

not really true desu
well, rather, they became a different band, and the barrett led floyd in my opinion is more interesting with its more crude musical experimentation, lyrical fantasies, and overwhelming concept (at least on piper), whereas after he departed the band started to develop into more of a soft prog rock typa thing with more melodramatic lyrics

>going from space rock to prog rock
>getting better
care to elaborate?

well..
i mean in sound engineering and mastering sure. But their type of sound only got different. Comparing different eras of floyd is almost apples to oranges

pre-barret and post-barret are essentially two different bands, your post accomplishes nothing

ok so

barrett-era floyd > solo syd > post-barrett floyd > solo roger >? solo david

piper > saucerful

madcap > barrett

saucerful> more > meddle > animals > ahm > wywh > dsotm > ummagumma > wall > mlor > final cut > division bell > endless river

keep going, user

because gilmour and waters channeled their increasing disdain for each other into some of the most creative work ever made

that's why this is the best pink floyd record after their psych and before their prog era

mets > rangers > yankees > knicks > jets

we're breaking into the outer realm!!!

People in here give The Wall too much shit.