How long will it be before society truly "gets" this album?

How long will it be before society truly "gets" this album?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6tCLPL8otMM
youtube.com/watch?v=4krCIQTr4dc
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/captain-beefheart-and-his-magic-band/trout-mask-replica-28/
youtube.com/watch?v=_3oOSZWr1qQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Od0_LRNlE5A
youtube.com/watch?v=Ux8aNJPwNqg
youtube.com/watch?v=VWgfVVbK4bA
youtu.be/Qy4lpTF-fk0
youtube.com/watch?v=-FhhB9teHqU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

when will the trout mask replica is at all inaccessable meme die

you don't know what accessible means

It's one of the least accessible albums ever made. It's been 50 years since it came out and it's still pissing off and confusing people.

Hopefully never

that's just iromic shitposting though

It really isn't.

You're in over your head you're blissfully unaware of how much you're in over your head. Maybe consider it a blessing.

>It's one of the least accessible albums ever made.

It's a very accessible album, what are you talking about? It was one of my favorite albums while I was still in middle school.

Our little secret

If you're actually serious, I'm sad to advise you to go out more.

there's nothing to "get", this album just fucking sucks. let me just lay that out for you. anyone who disagrees is just in denial.

You better lay out the reasons for your opinion. I'm sure we'll see a thesis on polyrhythms and timbre of instruments in a few minutes.

Just because it's complicated doesn't mean it's good. There's a term for this, and let me remind you of it: delusional artist. It's just a collection of meme-licks on the guitar and musicians making music that's whacky for the sake of whackyness.

>It's just a collection of meme-licks on the guitar and musicians making music that's whacky for the sake of whackyness.
At least you're half creative in your shitposting.

Why would you say this album is good? What's good about it on a non-technical aspect of music? What I said holds true for 99% of people who have made the mistake of listening to this shitstain and I really can't say any more than that the other 1% just wants to like it really badly so they are the minority that like something whacky.

I'm actually really serious into why there is actually anything to like about this album, because I've listened to it many times and every time it just seemed like a big joke to me.

The musicians developed new techniques for their instruments (finger pick on a bass, steel picks for guitars, prepared drums with cardboard) while practising for roughly 12 hours a day and enduring psychological abuse from Don throughout the rehearsals and the recording process.
youtube.com/watch?v=6tCLPL8otMM
youtube.com/watch?v=4krCIQTr4dc
A man ignorant of music theory composed works of this rhythmic complexity with the help of other band members, especially John French. In MIDI, some songs are very pleasant without the "right" timbre. Don't forget that this isn't free improvisation, these songs have scores and are performed by the Magic Band even today. They clearly saw the vision and the genius of Don and did their best to help im fulfill it and make an artistic statement.

It's just weird because Beefheart is singing like a drunk hippie, but that's really the only part that makes it kinda inaccessible. Many songs use accessible blues riffs and follow pretty regular song structures, bar some songs that go full math-rocky.
It's not any more inaccessible than other scarufficore like say Lorca or Rock Bottom that make more use of avant-garde/free jazz influence than Beefheart, also blend it with unusual vocals, but don't follow regular song structures at all.

>Rock Bottom
Extensively characteristic of Robert Wyatt's style and the free jazz sax sections achieve exactly what he wanted - utter despair and perhaps a mental breakdown. You are correct though, even with those brief free jazz sections, the album is relatively inaccessible.

these are really interesting to listen to
after watching fantanos review i did notice how loud beefhearts voice in the mix is - kinda hoping they rerelease with it much quieter

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's bad.

kys retard

>After watching Fantano's review
You messed it up.

I wouldnt call rock bottom inaccessible, the sound is pretty smooth and nice to listen to.

>expecting a rerelease of a 50 year old album

>What are remasters?
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/captain-beefheart-and-his-magic-band/trout-mask-replica-28/

they literally just rereleased wild honey (1967) so that the stereo is actually listenable

Now I really need a trancription of Pachuco Cadaver.

least accessible rock albums*

The definitive pleb filter. I love how worked up hiphop and indie kids get trying to prove to others that this album isn't worth their time while they think Danny Brown and Tame Impala constitute good "experimental" music.

the rhythm on Moonlight on Vermont is obviously wrong - a testament to how poorly standard musical notation describes syncopated playing if anything

now, the real value of Trout Mask is that it's a really polished version of essentially outsider music - it captures some very intuitive and rough writing from Beefheart who composed it on a piano that he really hadn't played before, yet it was then meticulously rehearsed so the band could replicate it

then end result is an album that kind of sounds like it might be just an improvised blues freak out, but still has a more polished and refined quality to it that makes it a rare album of it's kind

this kind of clicked for me when I heard some of the outtakes from the Grow Fins box, like for example the before mentioned Pachuco Cadaver - the instrumental outtake is almost indistinguishable from the album youtube.com/watch?v=_3oOSZWr1qQ

maybe society has gotten it already - TMR is kind of like those Ikea toys made based on children's drawings desu

When will the "TMR is not just bland pop music" meme die?

This album sucks lmao

>meme-licks

Maybe neither of you have a point.

There's nothing to get. The band clearly made it as joke so they could laugh at all you faggots reading into it too much.

society already gets it

Yeah, band members submitted themselves to 12 hours of practising with constant psychological abuse while inventing new ways of playing their instruments just so that people on an anonymous image board can laugh at them. You got it!

Care to make one?

If you actually believe that, I don't know what to tell you

>band members submitted themselves to 12 hours of practising with constant psychological abuse
I suppose you can form a band which could perform works of that complexity with minimal rehearsal time. So, who are those people?
>while inventing new ways of playing their instruments
Guitars were played with steel picks, bass was played with a finger pick and drums were prepared with cardboard.
youtube.com/watch?v=Od0_LRNlE5A
youtube.com/watch?v=Ux8aNJPwNqg
youtube.com/watch?v=VWgfVVbK4bA

This is, so far, the best, most accurate description of this album I've ever read. Its genius. I'm screencappin this.

not long. but as far as you and/i are concerned we will have been gone five times over

Just more proof of the fact that the Magic Band is one of the most accomplished and technically proficient "rock" bands.

youtu.be/Qy4lpTF-fk0
Even more polished today, although with different band members.

The album would be better if Zappa didn't fuck up the mix so badly.

i still don't understand it, explain why i should like this album.

youtube.com/watch?v=-FhhB9teHqU

thank you for this

"I am aware that I don't get it but I'll keep shitposting anyway"

Listen to Moonlight on Vermont very loudly.

meant for

This.

Listen to how the two guitars rhythmically play off of one another between the left and right channels. The drumming on it, much like on a lot of other Beefheart songs, follow along with the guitars, so getting to know what both guitars are playing really enhances how rhythmic the song feels IMO.