Do video games suck significantly more than they did 10 years ago, or am I just getting old?

Do video games suck significantly more than they did 10 years ago, or am I just getting old?

Other urls found in this thread:

sureai.net/games/enderal/
youtube.com/watch?v=VnracFjiC_k
youtube.com/watch?v=jBSwCookaSA
youtube.com/watch?v=9VpWoc4PFLI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

expectation on quality has risen dramatically, and plot elements has suffered because of priority, and thus it seems that the games are worse now than before

Both those things can be true

IMO 2007 was the last "great" year for gaming. Since then has been pretty stagnant.

Both

Nah, you're just turning into a bitter old man.

The games market is also just flooded with Shovel ware every which way. Nowadays anyone and their mother can put their own game up on Steam.

Good games are there, you just gotta dig deeper than years prior.

Yes, definately!

Recommendations?
Other than the Souls/Borne games, most games feel pretty stale and lame these days. And I'm not that old yet either, 26.

>2007
>racing games - need for speed
>NFS ProStreet

wow you are right.

The thing is user
You know what your saying is in principle wrong
Inb4 I liked morrowwind.

i just don't have the time to play games these days. I bought switch and zelda because I figured it was a safe bet for a good game. Still haven't even beaten 1 dungeon. I play like 1-2 hours a week

This. Gaming died because of micro transactions DLC and that games are now just marked ploys

If this is true, you are just plain bad at video games....

i dunno, man, 2007 had good, short, linear games like Mass Effect and Bioshock. Nowadays everything is 80+ hour-long epics with classical music and open world. open world makes everything way harder for me. I just want some good games to experience instead of having to run around with a fucking calendar todo list app and the equivalent of google maps routing to figure shit out.

They're getting easier with more of a focus on achievements and less of a focus on playing them for fun / beating them 100% for no "reward" at all.
Also I think the mmo boom really forced the idea that games should be multiplayer, and developers go into making games with that mindset.
Also i think dlc has led to a loss of quality as well. Why release a finished game now when you can add stuff in and charge people $20 later.

i realized after I posted it that I've played it for a couple hours a week for the last 2 weeks and didnt touch it for 4-5 months before that.. so yeah, fake news on my part

You're just getting old. "Back in my day, X was so much better!"

But microtransactions are only a supplement your experience on the side with a few extra bucks, you get the same great games in the same release schedule you would otherwise. Right?

they suck in different ways

Nope. New games are shit. I rather play old games over and over than these new age faggy games.

This, and most aaa game's are unbalanced/unfinished.
First good multiplayer game in a long time is pubg. And thats all thanks to player unknown who was a expert in battle royals listen to gamers and streamers. And most of all he's priority wasn't money but making a good game.

I find companies are rushing games out so much quicker you get really shitty launches plagued with bugs and glitches.

I'd rather have a good story than good graphics. Companies seem to do the opposite.

Honestly try anything that isn't open-world. That trend has been overused but without much payout in terms of actual fun content. Whenever a game releases and claims to be open-world it's just a euphemism for "There's gonna be alot of collectibles out there". Try short and linear games like Metro, The Last of Us, Asura's Wrath, Max Payne 3, Shadow of the Colossus, Vanquish, I love them all

>Do video games suck significantly more than they did 10 years ago
Not really if you know know where to look.
Tripple A games suck a lot more now and somehow they are still popular, but if you rake a look at some games with comparatively small budgets, you'd be surprised.
In raw numbers, there are more great games then ever before, it's just that the percentage of garbage game is higher now, too.

Like most of what you listen, but all are 5+ years old

Id say this year is best since 2007. Horizon Zero Dawn, Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey still to come, South Park game. Very promising year

About that timeline. Okay look at the games and look at how much bigger and more detail has been put in next gen games particularly gta iv, therefore requiring more time.

Creating COD/BF/Halo clone number 2946 for an easy multiplayer cash grab leads to diluted writing, design, gameplay and generally shit quality all around.

>Promising
>South park game

Found the casual gamer fag.

Agree with the open world statement except instead of a lot of collectables it's more like way too many empty places and like 5 towns to get missions in.

Lol always one asshole who hates for no reason. I play strictly 1 player story games so if that makes me a casual gamer fag then whatever.

>Wanting a good solo player story game
>Chooses South park

Pleb

"Casual gamer" fuck that dude some of us have jobs and school sorry I can't sink 18 hours a day into fucking dwarf fortress you loser

Some of the best games ever made were one player story games.
Ico, psychonauts, sotc, tes3, Loz oot/mm

Are you the fun police? This the type of guy who has trouble making friends.

I agree, what a cuck

There has been some good ones but they are few and far between.
It's a big fucking ask to just have a standard RPG now. Its all over complicated, online-integrated, chopped up for DLC, underwhelming bullshit.

Can you name some good games?

The rest of the Uncharted Series
Breath of the Wild
Bioshock Series
Horizon Zero Dawn
GTA 4 and 5
Shadow of Mordor
Red Dead Redemption
...to name a few

It depends on what you like.
I had a lot of fun with Darkest Dungeon recently.
It's a turn based tactics game with a great art style and atmosphere.
It was recently upgraded with the Crimson Court DLC.
What genres do you like?

There's not been a groundbreaking game for a long time.
PUBG might be popular and selling well, but its not actually all that good or well developed. Has graphics similar to COD2 yet runs worse than most other games out there.

Those are all such obvious titles.

Diablo 1-2, Sacred...i miss those days

U4 was good, didn't like the rest
GREAT, but only one playthrough then kinda forgot about
1 was good, 2 bad, 3 meh
Yes
Yes, though story for 5 sucked
Yes
Yes

Decent list, user

JRPGs often have good story to them but somehow look worse than they did 20 years ago.

some of the fan made mods and complete pc game makeovers are better than many new games, if you play skyrim then Enderal is amazing won best fan creation at the games award
sureai.net/games/enderal/

youtube.com/watch?v=VnracFjiC_k

Tbh, visual novels are where you want to go for plot. Some, like Kara no Shoujo, have some detective gameplay with it that works really well.
Don't underestimate VNs.

>MFW YOU CALL ZELDA A MODERN FRANCHISE

>OR GTA FOR THAT MATTER

xenoblade looks amazing

its my favorite rpg of the last gen, i like it even more than skyrim

Zero Escape is muh shit, Phoenix Wright too

Visual Novels are the fucking bane of modern video games.
They're just slightly interactive books with rudimentary visuals.
They have no reason being video games. They're not cinematic enough to be movies and they barely have any mechanics and freedom, so why make them games?

MUH PERSONA 4

the super mario galaxy games were really good, but that was like 10 years ago now

europa universalis is a good franchise that wasn't around when i was younger

the FACT WOMEN ARE WORTHLESS an can be farmed an destroyed .. :) next space Musk Colonials 20 000000 eggs an sperm .. from the Human Male , Adult women will be the 1950s an know there place an be child providers ,as Mars Sorted .. an I mentioned if a woman grown on Mars asks for more . then gene thought will be Gone .. ! The Fact we see women as baby an Nuture ..!

Micro transactions
DLC
Pre-ordering

90% of the gaming industry is releasing unfinished, casual shit and we're just letting it happen.

>some of us have jobs and school sorry I can't sink 18 hours a day into fucking dwarf fortress

assassins creed is shit, too easy, repetitive and the cash ins killed the franchise

mass effect is great, the colored ending lacks and dont get started on anderpmeda

VNs are still more engaging than most of utter drivel that comes out of the gaming industry.

Go outside, OP. Before it starts to suck significantly with climate change issues.

Been gaming since 1986
Your 10 years experience doesn't scratch the surface yet
DLC add ons and chopping up most games for them has reduced gaming quality fuck tons
Greedy company jews desperate to rape gaming until its bled dry

>Buy our full game 60 bucks
>But buy the other half of our full game... plus 60 bucks

Nobody see a problem with that yet? Been saying it for years

here the fact no one wants to admit

we have over a decade of companies treating fans like little bitches

and we reward them for it
stop supporting bad behavior

south parks last game was far from casual

I love visual novels and I agree.

The Witcher franchise, Divinity: Original Sin, Deus Ex (both the new ones). Dark Souls 3.

There are good games out there, but there are like 100x more games, so it's probably the same amount of good games in a year, just drowning in garbage.

>implying climate change is Gunna happen in our generation

Must be nice to he stupid

every good lesson learned was forgotten by edgy kids who didnt have the patience or w/e for well thought out games.

any game with rpg elements where top tier skills and weapons destroy eventually get those top tier things nerfed because "it isn't fair," meaning companies care more about letting people experience the game than enjoying it than they did even 10 years ago when Dark Souls 1 came out.

when a game gets things right, they ruin it by throwing in micro transactions be they optional or not, be they cosmetic or not, and gameplay suffers due to a lack of concentration on fixing problems vs creating new paid content.

people taking time on videogames to get them right are so rare that VALVe doing this is seen as something to strive for rather than an industry standard.

you tell me.

Far cry 3 or 4.
Metal gear solid ground zeros and mgs5
Binding of isaac aftervirth plus
Starbound
Subnautica
Shower with your dad simulator

Witcher 3 was muh shit too, Do Sex HR was good, didn't like MD though didn't try the dlc. Any exp with that?

3 loved, 4 meh
Yes
Roguelikes never clicked with me
Dunno the rest but latter sounds funny

Only game I've enjoyed in the past 5 years or so besides multiplayer titles like CS:GO and PUBG was NieR:Automata. Fantastic game design, fun to play, good writing, all around great title. Wish the PC port wasn't so terrible, but that's besides the point. Maybe Breath of the Wild too - but even comparing it to earlier Zelda titles where the replay value was enormous for me personally (looking at Wind Waker in particular), I never really came back to it. I equate it to me becoming a bitter old fuck and the shitshow that the gaming industry has evolved into.

if roguelikes never clicked with you, don't play any rpg game post 2000, then.

all of those are or were inspired by roguelikes.

I don't know but I certainly spend a whole lot of time staring into the depths of my steam library, just wishing something on it intrigued me.

I hope things change

"How old are you sonny?"
"Seven"
'When I was your age, I was eight."

Even shower with your dad simulator?

Inspired by doesn't mean anything. That's like saying if you don't like Lord of the rings then never see anything that has orcs

I'm sure the things he doesn't like about roguelikes are not the things that todays average RPG borrowes from the genre

Once exception I'd give is FTL, though idk if I suck or the game is unbalanced as fuck because I just can't fucking beat that Mother Ship to save my life. Only got to third stage once, usually die on second.

Here's the thing. You need a real break from gaming. I was feeling the same malaise about my steam library. 250 games and nothing to play. Now I'm living in the Philippines and Goddamn if I wouldn't play every single one of them. 2 years and I haven't played anything. It's killing me

I really think DLC is hurting the gaming industry, publishers got to greedy and game/gamers got greedy.

>Living in Philippines
White? I had a marine friend that recommends living there for a few years while young bc cheap and stuff, but always worried some Malaysian Mudslime transplant would scalp me or something

if you like rpgs, here are some good old games to try:
Fallout 1 or 2
Planescape: Torment
the Ultima series
Diablo 1 (if you haven't tried it before)
I.V.A.N. (Iter Vehemens Ad Necem)
System Shock 1 and 2
Heretic
Hexxen

all I could think of off the top of my head

yea hes a hipster

said post, meant pre

said post, meant pre

anything that says it's a roguelike nowadays is more closely resembling either JRPGs or has some loose RPG elements in it, with a few exceptions.

Monopolization and heavy weight on Advertising instead of development are part of the problem and yeah, you are getting older..

Yes I'm white. And you only gotta worry about the Muslims in south Philippines. This is a true catholic country and they hate the Muslims. If you stay above mindinao you'll rarely see them.
And it's great, people adore white men, cops open doors for me, restaurants find the best tables for me, beer is less than an american dollar, and a plate full of fried pork is half the price the bottle of beer.

1st AC sucked. 2nd was very good

I mean shower with your dad sim is pretty much all about mini games. That and dad cock

Agreed, 2 and 4 were great. Rest are so bad devs should commit seppuku in shame

youtube.com/watch?v=jBSwCookaSA

the only true rogues and roguelikes are from the 80's.

pre means before.

Wtf you talking about.
Cod infinite
Cod black ops 3
Cod advanced
Cod black ops 2
Cod modern warfare 3
Battlefield 1
Overwatch
Best time for video games ever.
Wtf are you people talking about. Remember when games had depth? Like pong and pacman. Gtfo.

Where can I even find diablo 1 nowadays?

the bay of seafaring individuals.

Blizzard store sells it. You could probably just download it in like 5 seconds off like any website.

Jobs that pay or do you just NEET out on savings?

You forgot Halo 5 and Gears of War 4, otherwise great list

soulsborne titles were really good

youtube.com/watch?v=9VpWoc4PFLI

watch this and realise how wrong you are.

You dense motherfucker. Shower with your da sim is not rogue like.

i genuinely hope you are joking

I said post 2000, then corrected myself with "pre" 2000, and you continued to talk about a game POST 2000, and yet I am dense.

I got 2k usd rolling into 200 usd a month that I live on. Between that and my wife's job we get by. 200usd a month Is about an average persons pay here.