What does Sup Forums think of Brand New? Are they worth looking into?

What does Sup Forums think of Brand New? Are they worth looking into?

Other urls found in this thread:

www10.zippyshare.com/v/ev51ZRRq/file.html
m.thepiratebay.org/torrent/18391529/Brand New - Science Fiction (2017) [FLAC]
youtube.com/watch?v=fPppInfmpvo
youtube.com/watch?v=Cc0qrLRD33w
pitchfork.com/thepitch/621-the-year-in-post-hardcore-has-the-new-wave-crested/
youtube.com/watch?v=PR7USljBVWE
youtube.com/watch?v=1qbk-xo6Zqs).
youtube.com/watch?v=WNk7aEJLYF0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yeah, go for it

discount lil peep

just listened to science fiction. good shit/10

Deja Entendu is good, and Devil and God is one of my favorite albums of all time. Definitely check out Devil and God, if nothing else.

Tried to get into them but they're far too try-hard edgy for me. Gave their new album a go and they've turned the try hard down and it's actually a really good record

Their lyrics are cringecore but Daisy is pretty rockin

Devil and god is amazing

newithoutYou are superior.

nu-cuckmale wife's son-core

They're serious reddit core with cringefest lyrics but if you're into edgy music go for it.

clearly the superior album

Don't act like you didn't bring up brand new because of their new album

YEAH
*catchy guitar riff*

You mean the brand new brand new album?

HAHAHAHA LOLOL OLOL XDDD

Real shit

Devil & God is one of the best albums of all time

Deja Entendu is one of the pop punk albums of all time

The 3 rest of their albums are great.

So yeah I'd say they're worth checking out

Truth

This is accurate.

Science Fiction is aotysf

>Devil & God
>Best album of all time

Whew lad.

It's a great album but not that great.

Glad you liked it. Smash that subscribe button if you want more.

Yes just don't listen to your favourite weapon, It's trash for the most part.

I don't think you're giving Deja Entendu by jsut calling it a Pop Punk album.

I meant you're not giving it enough justice.

(Sorry, i haven't slept for 2 days)

You haven't slept for 2 days, so you're the perfect demographic for Brand New.

Seriously everyone should listen to Science Fiction though, it's album of the year material

I agree, Science Fiction in my opinion is just as good as TDAG, from this point on it's not an easy choice to choose the best Brand New Album.

How i'd personally rank the albums

>The Devil And God 10/10
>Science Fiction 9.5/10 (Although will probablly take TDAGS position)
>Daisy 8/10
>Deja Entendu 7.5/10

-----------------------------Quality Drop

>Your Favorite Weapon 4/10

I give YFW a 7 because I like the cheese of the record. Plus Soco as an album ender is fucking perfect. Moshi Moshi should have been on it tho...(or was that deja era? idk)

Best song on the new album? Same Logic/Teeth hands down

Solid ratings senpai

mewithoutYou being superior doesn't mean Brand New aren't also a God-tier band.

fuck off

>SO IS THAT WHAT YOU CALL A GETAWAY

worth it just for that

Just checked them out. They sound pretty emo cringe. What are you all 12 on this board?

Get some sleep lad.

Reasons YFW doesn't suck:
>Shower Scene
>Jude Law
>Logan to Government Center
>Seventy Times 7
>Secondary

Science Fiction was kinda boring.

All of those except Logan suck donkey balls.

I love brand new but
>logan
>seventy times 7
>jude law
are the only good songs on that album. Some of their unfinished releases (brothers/aloC aloC, fight off your demons, covers) blow yfw out of the water

dropping some truth on yall

Emotionally dishonest music for alt-normies.

If they were a new band i probably wouldn't care that much but i have too many memories attached to them.

Idk why people meme this band so much. I tried listening to The Devil and God but the emotional delivery felt forced and insincere, and the production was too cheesy. There are bands who play similar music but do it way better than Brand New.

who

not him, but Home Like Noplace is There by the Hotelier comes to my mind

also Sunny Day Real Estate, particularly How It Feels to Be Something On

nice recs
still prefer science fiction

I prefer science fiction to TDAG, myself

in terms of the recs, I can see SF overtaking those in time for me, maybe not HIFTBSO but Home for sure

also reminds me a lot of La Dispute

I listened to Wildlife a fuckton last year

Just listened to Devil and God last night for the first time, and I quite liked it. I suppose this is as good a time as any to try Science Fiction, seeing as people who don't seem to like the band, like that album.

get some early modest mouse vibes from SF

Don't skip Daisy.

Maybe if he didnt have a lisp

oh yeah, forgot that.
definitely a lot of moon and Antarctica sound in there - pretty similar albums too thematically/lyrically as well

different user but i skipped Daisy. if it's in the archive i'll get it i guess

I like Milestone but other than that I didn't think the album was all that good.

Devil and God is fucking amazing. I don't know if they'll ever top it, but Science Fiction does come close.

If you liked both of those, listen to Deja Entendu

Wildlife is one of the best Post-Hardcore albums in the last 10 years.

i really agree with ya there user

touche amore

op is pedo

Right there with you.

Touche Amore is fucking awesome (Stage Four was my 2016 AOTY, and I'm going to see them in October), but I still seriously think that Wildlife trumps all of their work except Stage Four

>Gasoline and Daisy 10s
nice
>Noro not a 10
now hold on a second

it's a plagiarized song anyway so whatever

you guys jelly of my setlist

nicee
first listen of wildlife now im conflicted between this and stage four

>Well Jesus Christ I'm alone again
>So what did you do those three days you were dead?
>'Cuz this problem's gonna last
>More than the weekend

They're close, but Wildlife tops Stage Four imo just for instrumental diversity. Wildlife changes things up, takes new approaches to a song and story.

Stage Four (and by extension, Touche Amore is guilty of this) is really same-y imo.

Though they're both concept albums, I'm not sure which concept I like more. To be sure, both deal with extremely heavy topics. I think Jeremy's is more sincere than Wildlife is, but Wildlife really hits a part of me hard.

Idk, would love to hear your thoughts when you finish Wildlife.

SF ≥ Daisy > D&G >>> Deja >> YFW

Agree with you on the diversity.
Last half of the album from poem onwards felt really strong sonically and emotionally - tops stage four

Oh for sure. The last half of Wildlife is god tier.

But honestly, I think from A Letter onwards is amazing. The songwriting in Safer in the Forest + The Most Beautiful Bitter Fruit is some of the best they've ever done.

In what way do you feel SF is similar to La Dispute?

best songs imo safer in the forest/king park
After first listen I would say both wildlife and SF got into my top 20

underrated post

contrast of more quite emotional moments with heavy instrumentals

Wildlife is easily in my top 5.

It gets new life when you listen to it knowing it's a concept album. Jordan Dreyer (the singer of La Dispute) says that the album is about an author struggling against his demons and slowly degrading life. The songs in Wildlife (such as King Park, Edward Benz, I see Everything, Missionary Baptist Blues etc) are all short stories written by the author, who uses them to express his pain. Some of the songs in the album are actually written as notes in the margin to the listener, and the authors friends/family.

It's really a brilliant fucking album. Go listen to it again like this. And then listen to Hear Here, ROTH, etc. Fucking love these guys. HUGELY underrated, especially by Sup Forums.

Anyone have a link to Sci Fi?

Asking for a friend...

>Some of the songs in the album are actually written as notes in the margin to the listener, and the authors friends/family.
different guy but what do you mean here

not being critical i just dont understand

definitely going to pay more attention to the lyrics next listen
these albums are pretty different to most of the stuff I listen to but im glad im getting into it

Theyre good kinda normie

Here, lazy fag. www10.zippyshare.com/v/ev51ZRRq/file.html

FLAC torrent
m.thepiratebay.org/torrent/18391529/Brand New - Science Fiction (2017) [FLAC]

My second favorite band, and probably the best band (quality wise) to enjoy in common with mid-20s emo qts.

you have a mega? Zippy isn't working

There's a split in thematic elements on the album. Some songs are in the form of short stories, and some are letters/poems/notes written by the author meant to be "read" by you, the listener, and the author's imaginary friends/family.

Song like:
>A Departure
>A Letter
>A Poem
>A Broken Jar
>All Our Bruised Bodies and the Whole Heart Shrinks
>You and I in Unison

Are the author of the short stories on this album DIRECTLY communicating with the listener, with his friends and his family. That's why they're not about other people, they're about himself, and they're about the ones he loves.

The short stories on this album are:
>Harder Harmonies
>St. Paul Missionary Baptist Blues
>Edit Your Hometown
>Safer in the Forest/Love Song for Poor Michigan
>The Most Beautiful Bitter Fruit
>King Park
>Edward Benz, 27 Times
>I See Everything

IF you listen to these songs knowing that they're supposed to be short stories the author is writing to express his anguish, you'll catch him relating them back to himself in the form of notes, or some rambling. My best example of this would be in the song St. Paul Missionary Baptist Blues, when the author finishes describing the decline of the church and the guy slowly putting it back together, he asks "I wonder if there's anyone out there like that for you and me, for you and me? For anyone else who's broke and lost hope."

Or in the song Edward Benz, he breaks from the narrative of Ed getting attacked, and starts writing about other songs on the album, and how he always thinks of Ed going through what he did.

It's fucking genius.

hot chicks love brand new

It will. You have to click download now a couple of times.

Damn. Reminds me of joanna newsoms lyric writing, looking into the lyrics really gives a whole new appreciation.
This album might become top 10

Dude, Jordan Dreyer is a lyrical genius. Just listen to this:
youtube.com/watch?v=fPppInfmpvo
It's from their Hear, Here project, which is just whatever they want to throw together.
And this is from their split with Koji
youtube.com/watch?v=Cc0qrLRD33w

And if you like La Dispute doing concept albums, give their latest record, Rooms of the House a spin. It's another concept album where the main character explores how people turn rooms of a house from "just blue prints" to a place where people live. He recounts stories and events that occurred in relation to the rooms of the house and the objects within. While they haven't reviewed it, Pitchfork believes that it deserves to be up there alongside Benji, as far as songwriting goes
pitchfork.com/thepitch/621-the-year-in-post-hardcore-has-the-new-wave-crested/
>It was a banner year for records weaving interconnected character studies and Rooms of the House deserves to be mentioned alongside Benji and My Krazy Life for its sheer comprehensiveness and depth.

This is among my favorite songs off ROTH
youtube.com/watch?v=PR7USljBVWE

Well now I have to listen to this album. Thanks dude, this sounds intense

I'm just so fucking happy we didn't get a whole album of I am a Nightmare

This. Not gonna lie, the song grew on me a little bit but goddamn is it undeniably soulless. An album of that would've just dragged on forfuckingever.

This is like hardcore poetry.
Strong start listening to ROTH.
I like what this thread turned into.

Every brand new album bores me at first, listen to it again
Don't forget no seatbelt song

What should I listen to if I want more stuff like Brand New, outside of Modest Mouse?

You're right, it is.
La Dispute didn't form under the guise of being a Post-Hardcore band. They started as a poetry reading project, that's why they almost always use spoken word lyrics (except in the case of their song 12 youtube.com/watch?v=1qbk-xo6Zqs). Hell, their whole Hear, Here project is just them reading the poems of other people and putting it to music (except in the case of nine through 13, which is all original poetry.)

Honestly, I think they're more about making art and reciting poetry than they are about making loud and angry post-hardcore music

youtube.com/watch?v=WNk7aEJLYF0

wow I did not know all of this, thanks for the insight man. I'll keep this in mind next time I spin la dispute

exactly what music should be - art
Thanks for the introduction