So, I just finished watching No Country For Old Men. I don't get the ending

So, I just finished watching No Country For Old Men. I don't get the ending.

Any Sup Forumsro want to enlighten me?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Dp0QogUI4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

ded

Evil is win

What didnt you get?

Yeah, they couldn't think of an ending, so they just let it die.

What the fuck was Tommy Lee Jones talking about with his two dreams?

Also, did the dude's wife get killed or not?

Fuck off, asshole. This is the random board. Every topic belongs here.

He checks his shoes for blood leaving the house, shes very dead.

I'm just saying, Sup Forums would probably have a better answer for you.

answer to your second question is a definite yes. javier bardem checks his boots when he steps out onto the porch to make sure her blood didn't get on them.

yes with his nerve gas tank.

>no country for old men
>the ending is the old man talking about how the country he thought he knew doesn't make sense to him anymore

Then why was her death only implied?

The wife is a figment of the Javier bardeim's insomnia/imagination. No country is a direct sequel to fight club, both directors have said so.

The movie makes more sense when put into the frame of a western and the genre as a dying breed

Tommy Lee Jones is getting too old to keep at his job. He's decided to retire because he couldn't help Brolin and realizes he can't do it anymore. The movie itself changes times from a very well done action/thriller to a sudden dramatic turn. Just like Jones, we arrive at the scene where Brolin is dead. We don't see it because he didn't see it. That frustration of not seeing it happen is along the lines of the same frustration he feels arriving at a scene too late.

Also, yes she did die. He is a force of unrelenting evil, and he genuinely believes he is here on earth to do these things. Her gave her a choice to flip the coin, ultimately leading to her demise.

There's a lot of theories about the film. YouTube that shit. I just realized after I last watched it that no 2 men share the same screen time. When they interact it's usually shot in a way that focuses on one man at a time between the 3 of them. Just a cool addition to the film.

Which youtube analysis did you enjoy the most? I used to watch Rob Ager analysis but his recent stuff isn't good and he wants to nickle and dime people on every review instead of getting a Patreon like a normal person.

The theme of the whole movie is fate. Llewellen Moss couldn't escape his own death no matter how hard he tried. In fact he's not even killed by Anton. He's killed by the Mexicans that followed his family, and are presumably tied to the mexicans who died during the deal.

Anton gets the money, kills everyone in his way (including the wife), but gets caught in the car crash. It was his fate.

TLJ is afraid of death. He romanticizes the past but Anton terrifies him. He leaves the force to postpone death. The old man at the end tells him a story of TLJ's uncle who died. the old man is telling him that even though he quite, he can't run from death forever. The dreams are a continuation. He dreams of his death. The movie ends on this perfect cut to black with only a ticking clock.

watch it again sometime its so much better the second time around.

Trips of truth

>first dream with the money
nostalgia for younger days, when he didn't care as much about anything. lost money, no big deal, etc.

>second dream
TLJ knows he's getting older, and he thinks that the world is moving on without him. The "Old West" is nonexistent anymore (as seen by the entire dynamic between Moss and Chigurh. In an old western [like The Good, the Bad and the Ugly] good guy wins, bad guy gets what he deserves, done and done. In this movie, good guy dies an unceremonious death halfway through the movie, offscreen, without any big moment. Bad guy gets away with barely a scratch and all the money). He sees the modern world as something totally foreign to him, where everyone is morally bankrupt and no one seems to be paid back for their "karma". Being old, he is also on the verge of death, which he also knows. The dream is a comfort mechanism. He sees his father as lighting the path, and when TLJ dies he knows he'll be reunited with someone who he sees as always knowing the good and righteous path. He knows his dad will be waiting for him after death, to light the path.

Read the book. Cormac McCarthy is known for gritty realism and the way it ends is sort of saying, "yeah, real life things don't always end well if they end at all" Been awhile since I watched, thanks for reminding me because the Coen brother's films are always worth reviewing from time to time.

It's insinuated that Anton Chigurrh kills Llewellyn's wife.
The dreams sequence, at least the second one, was sort of a means of coming to terms with the end of life. The sheriff had danced with death, and only barely made it out alive. He was a good sheriff in the long term, but not good enough as he let Llewellyn die. His father, who had also died a law man, kind of showed where his mind was set at. There was no where left to go but into the cold mountains, Heaven, the Great Beyond, what have you, and I suppose that its the cold loneliness of seniority that got to him. That for all that he had done, lived for, fought for, all he could do was slow burn away into the night, and catch up with his father carrying the torch. That's at least how I saw it.

this is not a light question I hope you know that OP

FYI: It's on Netflix, but only until October 11th

anton getting blindsided by the car at the end seemed to show that he isn't some pure evil angel of darkness above it all... he's not immune to the chaos that governs the universe and he can get fucked over just like everybody else

When I saw this scene in Fargo, it reminded me of this scene when Tommy Lee Jones went to the hotel at night but decided not to go in.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Dp0QogUI4