Why does Sup Forums almost never talk about Prince?

Thoughts on the man? Favorite songs? Albums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fPaYtVJouYA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

His music is literally too smart for Sup Forums

I've listened to Purple Rain for the first time only recently, I don't understand why people praise it. I mean, it's okay, but is it the best Prince album?

Uses to listen to him all the time as a kid. Amazing guitarist too. Favorite songs " delerious"

I like When the doves cry, I should get more into his music

What scales were guitars that Prince has played? He was a turbo manlet, so his short limbs rather weren't friendly with regular sized ones.

most of Sup Forums is too young really. we have a prince thread every once in a while but they never get that many posts.

Sup Forums can't enjoy any music made by black people unless it's the lowest tier of stuff (hip-hop and pop) hence why you never see any threads on soul, funk, disco, R&B, house, techno, etc

youtube.com/watch?v=fPaYtVJouYA
y'all motherfuckers gotta listen to his self titled

I have listened to Purple Rain a handful of times over the past few years and I'm the same- I just don't think it's very good at all. I think he's really cool and I love his whole vibe but that album just isn't good music.

Are there any Prince fans on here that don't think Purple Rain is good? Or is it safe to assume I won't like the rest of his discography

Sign o' the Times is his magnum-opus

Been listening to 1999 lately, such a killer album.

My fave era is Self Titled to Around The World in A Day.

But yeah based Prince's music is too start for the average Sup Forumstant

*Smart

do you honestly think this?
if you did a poll on Sup Forums and r/music that said "do you like prince", I'm confident that more redditors would like prince

When the Linkin Park dude died this place was flooded with posts about how great they are and how much they miss him. When Prince died everyone was saying they've never actually listened to him and only know about him from the Chapell Show. That's the average age of this board.

your average redditor would only know his "greatest" hits

i bet that's people from other boards coming to Sup Forums for the first time. you can bet your bonnet there were more redditors talking about chester bennington when that shit happened

Probably because there are more people on r/music

this place is awful dont kid yourself

Because most millennials have literally never listened to Prince apart from the major hits, mostly because he never allowed his music to be free to stream online and millennials are too cheap to actually buy music. That's just a matter of fact. Prince was literally the second biggest artist of the 80's after MJ for those who lived through the decade, and older generations know what's up.

nah, streaming has only been a thing for a few years. they don't listen to him because he's shit and crystalised in his time period

Dirty Mind is so fucking overrated and repetitive that I don't even. The first two tracks shouldn't even get on the tracklist.

>streaming has only been a thing for a few years
This is completely false and you're a retard.

>When You Were Mine shouldn't have been on the tracklist

kys

prince "hits" are nowhere near as great as MJ's hits

pardon me, this song is quite alright, but I kinda don't like the opener
it screams too much that he made this album all by himself

I don't disagree, even if that's subjective. The fact is Prince spent most weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 chart than any other artist during the 80's, yet most people under 35 couldn't name you more than five songs from him for the reasons I listed.

Prince was brilliant in the same way that Bowie, Elfman, and Reznor are.

I need to listen to more of his albums. I've only ever heard Dirty Mind, 1999, and Purple Rain in full. Loved Dirty Mind and Purple Rain but honestly, I thought 1999 was kinda 'eh'. But I absolutely love his sound. Brilliant artist.

Absolutely shit-tier opinion. When You Were Mine is one of the best songs on the album.

that's because Prince's best songs are not his hits

Prince >>>> MJ as both a songwriter and as a human being

Part of the reason people don't talk much about Prince here or anywhere else online is that due to his militantly litigious attitude towards his IP, very little of his music is available to stream off Youtube or any other online platform, which makes talking about his music and legacy in a context where people are used to hearing it a lot less likely.

I would agree but pretty much his whole entirety discography got added to Spotify earlier this year, so I can't complain honestly.

>very little of his music is available to stream off Youtube or any other online platform

not true anymore, sweetie

Pretty much this for me. In my country, he's not played on the radio much, he doesn't have the big cultural sway, and you can't just pop onto Spotify/youtube for a quick listen. that leaves pirating, which still implise a pretty active interest, and buying the music, which is stupid to do if you don't know if you like it.

He really fucked up in making his music accessible. And it sounds incredibly arrogant, but I have a literaly shit-ton of classic albums and artist to listen to. I'm not going to start with the guy who made it harder to get a hold of his music.

That's a good thing, it filters out all the idiots who think Youtube and Spotify are the only ways to listen to music. Which I feel is majority of the people that hate him on Sup Forums.

I actually bought Purple Rain on CD 6 Months before he died. My problem is that my local stores ONLY had Purple Rain. It's a pain in the ass to find his discography in stores, compared to say MJ. Sign O' The Times and 1999 are great as well though :). Personally think Lovesexy is his best, but I recommend trying to get his discography up until the early 90s. He kinda went to shit towards then and unfortunately never did like Bowie and went out with a Blackstar...

Sucks i'll never get a chance to see him live now. He covered Bowie's Heroes at his last concert.

mj didn't even write most of his music

exactly this. It was a pain in the ass to listen to him until he died, then he was dead and it was too late

The best prince was live performance prince.

Studio albums were just a template for the live arrangements to work around and didn't do justice to the live performances.

Where to start with live stuff? Does he have many live albums?

Had no idea you liked Prince.

There's only one official live release I think, one night alone... it's okay but was recorded early in his jehovas witness thing so some of the religious themes in the rainbow children material is a bit much for some although musically it was a solid creative output (rc) and the production of the live album is really good.

There's hundreds of live show bootlegs. They never capture the live sound well but you get an idea and the soundboard recordings are usually a good listen.

>caring what a tripcunt likes
This isn't facebook

>I actually bought Purple Rain on CD 6 Months before he died. My problem is that my local stores ONLY had Purple Rain. It's a pain in the ass to find his discography in store
It's hard to find oldskool funk/R&B records in general because the (black) target audience was smaller than for white artists and had less disposable income, also they were slower to move to the CD format.

A lot of Prince fans think its kind of an overproduced mess desu. Try the Dirty Mind or the Gold Experience instead.

How can Dirty Mind be repetitive when its songs are so fucking short? If you're gonna accuse something of being repetitive why not 1999 with its 10 minute DMSR mess?

It's definitely heavily worked but 'overproduced' is somewhat subjective ad it's how he wanted it to sound.
The later albums all get trashed I really liked Hit N Run Phase two for the live instruments even if it wasn't his greatest songs.

Old Friends 4 Sale is a favorite of mine

Forget to add Purple Rain is a favorite album of mine but it's not a good representation of his music, he's so dynamic it's insane.