>I could make this, it takes no talent
>do you ever play anything normal

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xB0cwq-C77g
youtube.com/watch?v=wwBhxBBa7tE
youtube.com/watch?v=4CyLWOWz5uc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>dude fuck off back to your cave, no one cares about your autism music

Is it safe to say there might be a consistent correlation between playing an instrument and liking more, for lack of a better term, avant-garde music? I've noticed that it's the people that don't play instruments that insult my music tastes

There is a stronger correlation between lack of social skills/self-esteem/confidence and listening to avant-garde music.

That wasn't always the case. Back in the day avant-garde composers were drowning in pussy, even the ugly ones like Morton Feldman.

>where is the melody

legitimate criticism since you're probably listening to some crap post-rock

What the fuck are you talking about?
Post-rock is the most melodic thing among Sup Forumscore.

youtube.com/watch?v=xB0cwq-C77g
this is the song that led to that comment

>boring
>dadrock
>overrated
>everyone likes this, it's Sup Forumscore/RYM top 100/etc. so it sucks
>*insert genre* is for children/neckbeards/autists/etc.

>Post-rock is the most melodic thing among Sup Forumscore.

lol this is the dumbest shit ive ever read

welp, plebs gonna pleb i guess

>"where's the words user, don't you have anything you can can sing along to?"

Get cancer and die retarded piece of shitcunt with down syndrome.

No, i went to college for music(ya i know, sue me.) A lot of people in my department listened to top 40 and entry level classical. It really just depends. Also define play an instrument.

You sure got that cool Sup Forums attitude down. Well done.

I'll take downs over shit taste any day.

Play an instrument: verb and adjective

meaning: playing an instrument

Stupid cunt

>electronic music isn't real music

So angry for no reason. Jesus. Also, normies can play instruments sometimes. Its not just one side or the other.

Only old peoples say this

I know and it annoys me. I even meet older musicians who say it and I don't understand how they can think that way

>I like the beat

the most crushing insult you can be given

Are they playing an instrument, or just prerecorded sound?

Even if it's prerecorded it is still music and it required the use of an instrument (drum machine, sampler, DAW, etc) to create
there are a lot of shitty DJs but there are an equal or greater number of shitty guitarists

thats a nice track ty for sharing

>user the music on your phone is too indie!
>you're such a hipster
i don't even listen to much "indie rock". i think it's because i wear glasses most of the time.

>this isn't music, it's just interviews of rape victims
>this isn't music, it's just the sound of a guy having sex with a corpse
>this isn't music, it's just horrifying recordings of people being murdered while still on the line to 911
>this isn't music, it's just a recording of the ramblings of a mad man about how he's going to kill everyone

Honestly I just don't know how to deal with plebs.

>it is still music
But music is made by instruments
>drum machine, sampler, DAW
Only one of these is an instrument
>guitars
Who said anything about guitars?

How is that music?

this, every time I try to show a filthy hedonistic plebeian my favorite album "pseudoscorpion" or a classic like "buyers market" I get weird looks. like what the heck man? Whats wrong with these lower class cretins? Dont they know what good music sounds like BAKA @ them

Hi, grandpa, what are you doing in this site?

this but completely unironic

a lot of electronic music is based around sound design, aka making original sounds using synths.

bye dad.

Probably, but only the talentless musicians who can't play for shit so they somehow try to redeem themselves by making bullshit noise and tell people IT'S AMBIENT AVANT GARDE YOU JUST DON'T GET IT

Marketing my music to people like you

What are you doing here? This is an 18+ site
not all sound is music though

yeah but you make music using sounds. oh and using daws etc is a skill on it's own that requires knowledge and practice.

>yeah but you make music using sounds
You mean instruments.
>oh and using daws etc is a skill
Yes sound engineering is a skill. But we are talking about music composition, not sound engineering.

>NoT ALl sOUnD iS MuSIc

explain how a synth is not an instrument

I disagree, actually. Sound and music are fundamentally interchangeable, the only difference is how they are perceived.

leave

>guitar makes sound
>synth makes sound

When did I say it wasn't?
>Sound and music are fundamentally interchangeable
Do you think running water from a faucet is music?

>user makes strawman

Why did you tell him to go to reddit for using a black twitter meme?

music can be made using and arranging any sound thats what I was implying.

>Do you think running water from a faucet is music?
Why can't it be music? Just how close-minded are you?

Yes. What is the distinction between music and sound, in your view?

you clearly don't know what ambient is

Because it's not played on an instrument.
See above.
Well, it needs to be a creative organization of musical notes, played on an instrument.

Would you define vocals as an instrument?

Sure

why does it need to be played on an instrument? why can't I just arrange sounds of different pitches ? That's what you do when you make music with an instrument anyways.

If you use a DAW to create music, you are creating music with instrumental sounds. The sounds in those are either recorded from or made to sound like the sounds created from instruments. Since the definition of music calls for instrumental sounds, music made in a DAW is music.

What about music played on glassware? Is glassware an instrument?

Is mayonnaise an instrument?

instrument, n.- a tool or implement

A computer is a tool.
A faucet is a tool. Its original purpose may not be to create sound, but it does so nonetheless.

Also, what is a "musical note"? How do the frequencies of musical notes differ from the frequencies of non-musical sounds?

B-but it's a serious question...

But is mayonnaise an instrument?

Why are you so upset that music is made on an instrument, by definition? I'm not attacking you personally here.
>why can't I just arrange sounds of different pitches
How are you doing it?
>If you use a DAW to create music, you are creating music with instrumental sounds
No, you aren't. It already existed; you are just creating a playlist or tampering with the soundwaves.
Is it filled with varying amounts of water?
>Also, what is a "musical note"?
Oh I see, you don't know music theory
>How do the frequencies of musical notes differ from the frequencies of non-musical sounds?
Already answered this

no but you can make music from the sounds you can make with it.

Then why can't you make music with a faucet?

So I can record myself fucking a jar full of mayonnaise and call it music?

Imagine a event where a rock is falling from a cliff, making noise as it goes. That collision may have some obscure rhythm, beat, and notes as the rock falls.

>No, you aren't. It already existed; you are just creating a playlist or tampering with the soundwaves.
So if I create a song in a DAW purely via synthesis with no sampled sounds, it's not music?

Still sounds better than EDM

sounds pretty patrish. mind if I nick this idea?

No, actual musicians like well formed normal songs with good productions. Autistic people who learned with justin guitar are into avant-memes.

It wasn't a creative endeavor, so no, it's not music. it's just a sound.
>So if I create a song in a DAW
How did you do it? Did you use random presets?

I can fuck you too if you want. But daddy has to have his happy mayo fun time first.

>How did you do it? Did you use random presets?
What are VSTis?

The thing is that it's an instrument if you make it one.

tampering with soundwaves is literally (literally) all you do when you play Music on an Instrument

Please explain to me how creating a sound wave using an Instrument is fundamentally different from creating a sound wave with a computer because I sure haven't seen a good answer yet.

ok, who the fuck ACTUALLY uses presets except for children and normalfags?

Are you suggesting that an instrument that only has one note is still not an instrument, what about drums, tambourines, almost anything percussion?

Win Butler

drums can have varying pitches moron

You can put the sounds a door makes (opening, closing, etc) put them in a daw, mess with the sound a little bit, and arrange the sounds into a song. How is this less legitimate than using a guitar or something? It doesn't have to sound like muh-avant garde shit, you can make normal, poppy music like this.

You could if you kept turning the faucet on and off with some beat.

ok genius tell me how a hat or a tambourine can have a pitch

>What are VSTis?
it is a type of signal processing tool used in digital audio workstation
>what about drums, tambourines, almost anything percussion?
You can play multiple notes on these instruments.
>Please explain to me how creating a sound wave
The sample itself (original source) is music. A manipulation of it via a tool tat is not an instrument is just sound.

It may not be good music, but sure. If it has progression and beat then sure.

So I can turn my mayonnaise fetish into art?

I mean yeah why not.

What if then a guy threw the rock of the cliff and recorded the rock going down for a natural feel?

>paint is art, a manipulation of it via a paintbrush is just colors
"b-but a paintbrush is a tool designed for the manipulation of paint"
...and a DAW is a tool designed for the manipulation of sound.

Why are you so adamant about this?

it would be sound, not music

>The sample itself (original source) is music. A manipulation of it via a tool tat is not an instrument is just sound.
Alright, so if I shove a traffic cone into a sax, which manipulates it's sound, and play a piece, it's not music?

youtube.com/watch?v=wwBhxBBa7tE

But what about the one's that don't.

>paint is art
You mean a *painting* is art. Paint is just a tool to create art
>and play a piece
Are you playing a musical instrument called a saxophone?

What about fucking my Patrick Star real doll over a loop of Spongebob singing the fun song?

Sound is just a tool to create music, fool.

>he sample itself (original source) is music. A manipulation of it via a tool tat is not an instrument is just sound.
I guess using a capo makes the guitar not an instrument.

>Are you playing a musical instrument called a saxophone?
Yeah, I am playing a sax but the sound is being manipulated by a non-instrument, so, according to your logic, the sounds that I produce isn't music, right?

>where is the melody
everyone that says this doesn't know what melody is

If you put a mouth piece onto it and made a sound that could be controlled, then you would be playing the traffic cone. Musical instruments are not limited.

A hammer is a tool used to create a stool. Yet a hammer is not a stool, is it?
>I am playing a sax
Then you are playing a musical instrument, and are thus making music
Oh does a capo produce a pre recorded sound?
Not what user is asking.

youtube.com/watch?v=4CyLWOWz5uc

hey guys is this music?

just got into this thread and can't bother to read it all, but you're not thinking right. saxophone is an instrument because it vibrates on certain specific frequencies when clicked right, which we call notes. i can make an instrument out of a fucking pen if i want to, as long as i find a way of making it vibrate at whatever rate i want it to. hell i can even amplify it and play it live.
music can be anything, music is everyone's to use and abuse, if it doesn't appeal to you, the don't listen to it, but why bother defining music in a way it's comfortable for you?

>Then you are playing a musical instrument, and are thus making music
Did you even bother reading the rest of my post? You said that if you manipulate an original source via something that isn't an instrument, what is produced cannot be considered music. So, if the traffic cone is manipulating the sax's sound, and the traffic cone isn't an instrument, then, by your own logic, the sounds produced aren't music?

>just got into this thread and can't bother to read it all
>but I'm sure you are wrong
kek