/prod/?

Is /prod/ dead forever or just sleeping?

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/mcbknzfu
soundcloud.com/samuelcfaria/i-will-survive
soundcloud.com/saturnsgold/lost-child-alternate-ending
soundcloud.com/saturnsgold/lost-child-reimagined
www73.zippyshare.com/v/cIjuE0pC/file.html
www73.zippyshare.com/v/uXYLphv6/file.html
fresh-stuff4u.com/?s=vocalign
rbt.asia/mu/thread/74315652/#74337388
rbt.asia/mu/thread/74315652/#74323153
clyp.it/ugtx4mi1?token=e9873361928a70c5daff6010a69b4a9b
clyp.it/vs5hnaw5
clyp.it/hzgyj0uf
clyp.it/ykvba35a
clyp.it/dodqy0pe
youtube.com/watch?v=66dCCwutczQ?t=3m40s
clyp.it/db2cpguf
anonfiles.cc/file/dc7570eeb6bfd9c1343023493947e1d1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

it switched to some discord that everything thinks is better than /prod/, but the reality is there is already better Production related discords than their fucking empty and lame discords

>it switched to some discord
wasn't part of the problem with /prod/ people trying to shill their soundcloud and stuff? I mean I guess you can't shill to an empty discord server but still

No there wasn't and everybody who posted a sc got called a faggot

Nobody liked the discord though..?

Shit op kys and never start a thread again

Someone posted a thread trash talking sound cloud threads so they migrated to prod and don't contribute at all.

Anyone put a compressor over their mix pre mastering, or mix into one?

I read the Zen of Mixing by Mixerman and he mixes into a 4:1 ratio analogue compressor. He even records into it, nice to know the pros take shortcuts right. Going to email and ask him what he thinks about putting a vst over your mix pre-mastering, something like TDR nova 5 band preset. Sounds slightly fluttery but I maybe imagining that.

He also says he's offended when a masterer compresses his mix ?

it just smells funny

was that why there have been so many more shitposters and flamers?

>pros take shortcuts right
reasonable techniques and don't make things hard on themselves*

>records into it
everybody does that

>mixes into
are you sure you didn't misinterpret that? because that's a really stupid idea- anything you do before that will be exaggerated and you won't hear what you're *actually* doing.

HOWEVER some guys do shit like mix normally, bus everything to a parallel comp and bring it in at low levels....

last sentence sounds stupid as fuck lol. i mean there are some guys who are "against" things like reverb and compression, but it's never that simple. they're kind of like the neckbeards of the recording world though (not all bad of course).

>they're kind of like the neckbeards of the recording world though

The book is fairly old and deals with live music, bands etc. It was the recording into a compressor that was frowned upon by his friend at least. Yeah he spent a while talking about mixing into it, and getting used to it though didn't say exactly what he was getting used too. I suppose reminding himself the compressor's there.

last bit; I think he meant that he'd got the tone how he wanted and compression would change it too much. It was a pretty rambly book and not very specific / technical

actually albini's exactly who i had in mind saying that

he's made some good fucking albums though so it's whatever.

>recording into a compressor

a lot of people do frown on that because they want "flexibility" in the box and don't want to commit to a certain sound before they've tracked the entire song. Either philosophy is fine really, you just need to remember that the recording stage is "pre-mixing," compressing on the way in is just another decision like mic placement etc.

amazon reviews hinted at it being more about "mindset" rather than a lot of specifics so idk man lol. if he was really that anal he should just master it himself.

He's a funny guy. About mastering he said he didn't really know what happened during the process, was adament that mastering your own mix is bad and the golden rule to tell if your mastering guy did a good job is 'it sounds better.'

..also judging a masterer on his gear is the way to tell if he's good. One thing he said which I didn't get was if he has a tape machine with big reels and doesn't use it to record then he's good. I remembered that because I read it twice not understanding it. Does the masterer use the tape to play through for saturation?

>judging a masterer on his gear
>he said he didn't really know what happened during the process, was adament that mastering your own mix is bad

yeah i'm no longer considering this guys opinions

some people dump to tape for saturation, yes.

I am exagerating his attitude, he spends a while debating the pros and cons of things, eg justifying masterer's gear 'if he's serious about it and that's his only job he'll have the right gear' kind of thing. Don't not read him based on my summaries, he's not black and white about everything

Bump

>better Production related discords
can u point me to these please

anyone else here /Dawless/ and make music in strictly sequencer/hardware?

Is this the /prod/ general now?

You can thank the op for fucking it up

edm reddit prod

No. But are saving to buy my first synth. What do you use to record?

clyp.it/mcbknzfu

Anyone keep listening to their own 1 minute loops on repeat forever? Feels so fucking narcisstic.

I do this constantly. I just sit there thinking about how bad what I make is and how I wish I could do better.

does anyone have a working download of VocALign
or has the installer and can quickly upload it for an user

yeah i listen to my stuff repeatedly almost every day
its like looking in the mirror

Its an easy habit to get into but you have to pull yourself out of it. I have been there and it lasted a year, complete with mixing micro adjustments. Its a pitiful place to be

I do this everyday with several recent projects...in hopes I'll get inspiration to jump back in and improve them, but I never do.

I used to
the hands on aspect can't be beat for the composition/performance side of things, but you need a serious mixer and rack setup to sound modern or polished. imo daw is better for the recording/mix side of things.

why its a bad thing

can we post soundcloud here
soundcloud.com/samuelcfaria/i-will-survive

I think you just killed it OP.

Am I the only one noticing the decline in good informative posts and the increase in shitposting and trolling?

There is almost no discussion at all.
Only beginners asking a question and getting an answer they'd have gotten sooner on Google.
Or people asking if they should buy some piece of gear.

How do we save /prod/?

Before /prod/ dies forever, could you let me know what you think about these two tracks. The first one I made a year ago, the second one is a remake of the first track but using some new techniques I've learned. I wanted to know what you guys think.

Original
soundcloud.com/saturnsgold/lost-child-alternate-ending

Remake
soundcloud.com/saturnsgold/lost-child-reimagined

no i couldnt find a working installer of Vocalign on google

Total waste of time, and there is a heavy delusionalness to it. Your mind thinks you're this amazing musician who's blowing the world away but the world is oblivious.

Music you make which isn't finished and released in some way doesn't really exist except in your mind (and maybe a friends) There are parallels with schizophrenia.

Asking for someone to give you something is not the same as asking someone to give you easily available information.

Clearly your case wasn't what I was talking about.

can you give me a working installer of vocalign. i literally filled my pc with virus by downloading suspect torrents out of despair

>and the golden rule to tell if your mastering guy did a good job is 'it sounds better.'
Well why wouldn't it be? If it sounds worse it's shit, and if it sounds the same it's pointless.

www73.zippyshare.com/v/cIjuE0pC/file.html
www73.zippyshare.com/v/uXYLphv6/file.html

These should be ok.

Found here:
fresh-stuff4u.com/?s=vocalign

I'd like to but I still need a polyphonic sequencer. Can't pley kbds for shit.
captcha: blackbutt rodofort

This always happens with generals. they should honestly just be abolished on every board.

In the context of him saying that he was talking about all the overanalysing you can do of mastered alternate versions eg vocal up 1DB or down, etc. His point was you can drive yourself nuts getting your mix back from the masterers when its needn't be a complicated

Yeah.

A couple of weeks ago I posted about a technique that's slightly more advanced than how it would've normally been done, and I spent two days arguing with people trying to first convince me that it's useless and wrong.

The experience traumatized me so much that it made me turn into a tripfag.

Be the change you want to see

>The experience traumatized me so much that it made me turn into a tripfag.
lies
you were a tripfag through that entire autistic meltdown you had.

Nope.
I only started to use it here:
rbt.asia/mu/thread/74315652/#74337388

Many hours after the discussion started with this post of mine:
rbt.asia/mu/thread/74315652/#74323153

I only kept going with it after that, and it wasn't a meltdown.
I was calm throughout the whole thing.
I just sat there explaining my arguments.

Anyone else here smells their own fingers after scratching their balls?

I've kinda noticed a decay in the quality of the feedback. Before, whenever I posted, I'd get at least one serious comment on my tracks, now it's mostly it's shit/boring/unfounded opinion.

>Implying I'm not the one making most helpful and long posts

You aren't though, just complaining

Sorry mod.
Didn't know you tracked my IP and crossreferenced it with the MAC addresses of the devices I use across IP changes.

I'm sorry. I promise I won't lie anymore.

help plz
clyp.it/ugtx4mi1?token=e9873361928a70c5daff6010a69b4a9b

>*tips fedora*

>*tips back*

>clyp.it/ugtx4mi1?token=e9873361928a70c5daff6010a69b4a9b

This would fit in nicely at an EDM festival, take that as a compliment or a gripe. It does sound a generic, but well done as far as that kind of EDM goes. You have a few semi interesting rhythms, but nothing crazy, try to incorporate a more unique rhythm. Ending is long and drawn out, do you have a specific reason to have 30 seconds of a hi hat playing against white noise?

Also stay away from your cringe title and username.

I thought if you produced an EDM track even by mistake you were swallowed up by the earth and melted into lava as the righteous wrath of mother nature herself puts your shit taste in its place

>This would fit in nicely at an EDM festival, take that as a compliment or a gripe.
thanks!!!

>It does sound a (bit?) generic
What parts? the bass? the second half? the build-drop thing?

>Ending is long and drawn out, do you have a specific reason to have 30 seconds of a hi hat playing against white noise?
it's just space for patterns i'm not using, going to have another drop section after the midsection

>Also stay away from your cringe title and username.
HAHHAHAHA, i know lmao, I don't have a soundcloud so I'm just uploading clyps and getting feedback before I actually release stuff on soundcloud.

I need you to tell me if this shit i made on my casio is good or not.
clyp.it/vs5hnaw5

>What parts?
The genre you're going for in general is generic edm, hence why I said it would fit in at an EDM festival. Nothing wrong with what you're going for but it's nothing ground breaking. I feel like I've specifically heard the lead you used in the first half used by a big artist before, but I could be wrong.

Side note: I do really like the drop at the beginning, well done

Sexy

It's not bad but there's a lot to be done. I find the panning drum thing kind of annoying. I like the melody.

>clyp.it/vs5hnaw5
Work on your mastering but I like this, I'm imagining a 70's crime drama movie opening with the sunrising and bold white text listing the crew for some reason.

Also would not be surprised if i heard this in an elevator.

clyp.it/hzgyj0uf
Ok I know the bass was kinda fucky the last time so I fixed it. Other than that, any thoughts? I sort of like this but I also like my own farts so idk.

p cool sound design, tho some of it gets generic and preset tier

arrangement really needs a lot of work.
right now just seems like you are changing things every 8 measure without reason or forethought.

I like it. Pretty chill.

Friend and I's first two songs off of our WIP project. I did vocals and lyrics, he handled production. Please give any thoughts on both sides, would really appreciate it.

clyp.it/ykvba35a (First song)

clyp.it/dodqy0pe (Interlude)

Like the vocals on Lotus Eater. The dissonant/discordant notes put me off a bit. But I'm not a huge fan of those things to begin with.

I really like the interlude. Probably because it is more traditionally melodic.

Both are pretty good for WIP but they don't stand out to me.

Don't stand out as in they don't grab your attention? What would you recommend to make them bolder

Lol

Regardless of whether you were right or wrong you were just being a faggot

>Regardless of whether you were right or wrong you were just being a faggot
Doesn't matter.

>(You)

There you go. Fuck off now

how do I make really fast kicks (aka "metal double bass") sound good, let's say, at 200+ bpm, in 16ths? No matter what I do they sound either like indiscernible porridge of low frequencies or clicks with no audible bass.

How do I make mac demarco trend core to make hipster girls wet

Have you tried using a sample?

I'll go back to posting anonymously like I always do, and you'll respond nicely to my posts not knowing that the regular user you'll be talking to will actually be me.

Use a character compressor. I suggest MJUC, just mess round with the settings till it sounds good

Good, that's literally the whole philosophy of this website

Even if somebody thinks you're a faggot, if you have something to contribute they won't judge it based on who said it. Trips are fine for some instances but not here

btw 200 bpm with 16ths will prolly sound stupid no matter what you do

I know.
That's why I've resumed to posting anonymously in every single general since adopting the trip, except when it's related to the original argument, such as now.

Even in this very thread I've made more posts without the trip than with.

how come people make it sound great then?

They just seem to be kind of vaporwave-y and I'm not sure there's a focal point for me. Like everything seems at relatively on the same level volume/mix wise. Although you said it is a WIP so maybe not much mixing yet Maybe try bringing up the vocals. I like the lyrics. But sometimes I can't make out what they are. Basically whatever you feel like the strongest part of that I feel you should make more prominent. To me it's the vocals.

what do you mean? all I have is samples, heh

do they?

As in a sample of a 200 bpm metal double drum.

ok, check this
starting at 3:40 there is this insanely fast double bass drum part, much faster than 200 bpm, played by a real drummer
youtube.com/watch?v=66dCCwutczQ?t=3m40s
>inb4 posting borgir
I know it's a cheesy example, but the production here is fine and demonstrates well that no matter how fast, kicks can sound powerful

The fact that it's played by a real drummer makes it more doable, cause each kick interrupts the last one physically, so it doesn't sound unnatural.

fuck off with your autism jorbenfag

Deleted this unpolished turd anyway.
clyp.it/db2cpguf

thanks
this one created a .vst and .dll file, unlike the others i had tried, but it still doesnt show up on reapers fx list (i checked reapers vst folders and its right)

Where do you guys look for samples besides the usual places (torrents Reddit freesound)

I'm mainly after foley and acoustic drums atm

THEN I SHALL MAKE MY OWN

Are you the same user who was having trouble with this a while back, maybe the week before last?

I uploaded a working version of the AIR release during that conversation - if you're the same person are you saying that this release didn't work in your Reaper either?

If so, then we'll need to know a few other things, so we can rule them out:

OS - Windows 7, 10, XP?

Reaper version - please say it's version 5 or later because versions before that don't support VST3s like Vocalign.

Install directory for Vocalign - should be the "Common Files" folder for VST3

yes im that same person from that thread
i dont remember if i downloaded the one you uploaded, cant find it on my pc now
the release that i tried last is
im on windows 10, reaper 5.4
vocalign .dll/.vst are present on the common files and on the vstplugins folders

No worries - if your Reaper sees other VST3 plugins we'll need to try the one I uploaded for you, again so we can rule it out:

anonfiles.cc/file/dc7570eeb6bfd9c1343023493947e1d1

>if your Reaper works with other VST3 plugins but not Vocalign

Corrected for clarity

Ok /prod/ im fucking bored as shit making trap music and i wanna start making something else what do i make

Start singing and git gud at voice processing.

didnt recognize your uploaded version
going to try this 4.1.3 RTAS release. hoping it isnt a virus at least