Give me a crash-course on Warhammer 40K Sup Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Category:Warhammer_40,000
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There is only war.

And life sucks for the most part.

Yes.

I don't know the context of these images but they look rad as hell

I think a good way of summarizing it would be playing a game of Warcraft if you had to manually work out each and every shot fired, blow dealt etc, figure out if it hit or not, keep track of how much damage each unit has taken, and stop to consult a rule book 400 pages long every time someone insists that there's an obscure rule stating that some unit has some ability in some situations.

Not much fun, in other words. It's like evolution. Back before we had computers, this was the only way to play a strategy game more advanced than chess. But there's simply no need for it any more. There are more fun things to do with your time.

The lore is horribly derivative of Dune, Aliens, Terminator, Halo - just whatever is popular at the time gets ripped off and thrown in.

Collecting and painting the figurines is sort of fun, but you have to be quite talented, very patient, and emotionally mature enough to realise that your first 20 - 50 attempts are going to suck.

I bought a big box set when I was 12. Painted them. They looked like shit. Nothing at all like the standard of artwork that was being shown off in the magazines. I was so ashamed that I put them in a bag and smashed them to pieces.

TabletopGame

TearJerker

Trivia

WMG

YMMV

More

It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries The Emperor has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the Master of Mankind by the will of the gods, and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the Imperium for whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day, so that he may never truly die.

Nigger

the old world is much more interesting

40k is originally a tabletop miniatures game who's universe has expanded to many other formats such as video games and even a movie. It is a huge universe with a very rich lore and the models are excellent quality and fun to play with

>game
lol
Yet even in his deathless state, the Emperor continues his eternal vigilance. Mighty battlefleets cross the daemon-infested miasma of the Warp, the only route between distant stars, their way lit by the Astronomican, the psychic manifestation of the Emperor's will. Vast armies give battle in his name on uncounted worlds. Greatest amongst his soldiers are the Adeptus Astartes, the Space Marines, bio-engineered super-warriors. Their comrades in arms are legion: the Imperial Guard and countless planetary defence forces, the ever vigilant Inquisition and the tech-priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus to name only a few. But for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever-present threat from aliens, heretics, mutants - and worse.

To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable. These are the tales of those times. Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods.

are these the good guise
o shit are those the bad guise

Those are both good guys.

1d4chan.org/wiki/Category:Warhammer_40,000

>are these the good guise
even the good guys are space nazi's, feeding 1,000 human sacrifices to their corpse god daily

damn the future sucks

It is all of those things
The only passable vidya are Dawn of War 2 and maybe Space Marine.
The table tops are fun, but not as robust as real DnD. I enjoyed Deathwatch the most, but I also love Space Marines.
The mini-figure tabletop game is a little easier to get into now, and plays pretty well with the new rules, but I do it mostly for the painting hobby.
The books have tremendous amounts of content if you like reading. All mostly hack and slash, but there are a few good twists and turns and really imaginative lore.

I have a lot more, but It's getting late.

>I was so ashamed that I put them in a bag and smashed them to pieces.

HAHAHAHAHA.

The Space Marines are literally space Nazis.
They fucked up so bad that it spawned Chaos into the plane of existence.
The "good guys" are whoever you enjoy reading about and or painting models.

Not everything is bad.

Life is pretty good if you are a planetary governor.

It's a tabletop game.

There are two components, the physical models, and the game itself. You buy, build, paint, and customize the models.

Then use the rule books to select an army for battle using a points system (both sides have the same amount of points).

Then you play the game, moving the pieces on a board that you build yourself (usually 4x6 feet with tons of scenery and buildings). You use a ruler to move units a distance described in their rules entry, and they have guns/claws/lasers to kill the opposing army. All in all an average game takes about 3 hours including set up.

All shots and attacks use 6 sided die to determine their effectiveness. You rI'll lots of dice. An average game usually has about 30-50 dudes per side, some who are the same, some who are different.

All other things like vidya etc are based on the tabletop

There's some decent lore on YouTube too.
Spent the last working day of 2016 alone in my office watching a warhammer playlist.

That sounds comfy. I enjoy spending days like that alone after a week of work and socialization.

GW has no concept nor care about costumer loyalty but fluff is good, start With Ravenor or ciaphis Cain. Books series. I would love to see T.A.R.S as a dreadnaught.