Why do fags have no problems with listening to top 40 pop from the 50s, 60s...

Why do fags have no problems with listening to top 40 pop from the 50s, 60s, and 70s but if I dare listen to modern top 40 pop I'm the one with the PROBLEM?!?!

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You've_Lost_That_Lovin'_Feelin'
youtube.com/watch?v=fyaI4-5849w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Association. The majority of modern top 40 listeners are young and immature whereas the appeal for vintage pop has diverted away from the lowest common denominator so it's acceptable to listen to it. Give it a couple decades and people will hold Yasutaka Nakata to the same regard as Phil Spector is held currently.

Kendrick copied the coverart.

Damn.

There's no era where all Top 40 era pop is acceptable and pretty much everyone will look down on someone who mostly listens to Top 40 pop, no matter what era its from

But if it's just something you listen to, on top of other stuff, there's no problem

However, it's also important to note that earlier Top 40 hits now often require seeking them out which shows you've actually put some effort into finding the music you like, rather than just being exposed to it in a grocery store and just being a filthy casual in your music listening habits

Because at the end of the day, Top 40 pop is not a genre (since even O Superman was a Top 40 pop single), it's just what was most popular at the time of its release and therefore what required the least effort at the time to be listening to

Well, to be fair, his modern day equivalents like Timbaland's crazy layers of production (especially his stuff for Justin Timberlake's stuff) have been well received as well. Hell, I bet the way people do the "Phil Spector did it before Beach Boys" in the future people will probs go "Timbaland did it before Kanye"

Rock and roll happened because of the absolutely dire schlock on the pop charts in the 50s, songs like Shrimp Boats and How Much Is That Doggy In The Window.

Mutt Lange in a way was the 80s Phil Spector. How many layers on top of layers did Hysteria have again?

Christgau thinks Phil Spector ruined rock-and-roll by making it overproduced and melodramatic, but...meh.

because top 40 pop from the 60s was essentially more like a wildly competitive and astoundingly passionate sport between songwriters and producers than something to shove lucky charms down your throat to while you watch the teen titans re-go, and as a result it was the single most prolific, self-pushing, uplifting, and arguably the most groundbreaking decade in the history of popular music.

the last time anybody put as much effort, ambition and ingenuity in pop music insofar as people like phil spector and brian wilson are concerned was in 1991 when kevin shields made loveless, or maybe even when kanye released MBDTF in 2010. these individuals proved that pop music could contain lasting statements, however minuscule some may perceive them as. pop music is unfortunately a dead art. people just don't take it seriously enough anymore (probably thanks to oversaturation) and the fact that shoegaze especially is filled to the brim with people who just want to jugular-bang heroin and play with distortion pedals all day as opposed to people like kevin shields who demonstrate just how deeply they care about their craft is absolutely pathetic. i don't see any reason why the world cannot (and probably never will) see or have another loveless.

>Give it a couple decades and people will hold Yasutaka Nakata to the same regard as Phil Spector is held currently.
if you mean artistically then you are a fucking moron btw

That's another good example. Hysteria not only has a ton of overdubs, but also has each "guitar" play one note of each chord of the track. With overdubs that's an insane amount of guitars. This isn't even getting into the vocals.

Phil Spector is more innovative obviously, but Nakata is a compositional mastermind.

Sup Forums is full of teenagers and alt-righters.

>Rock and roll happened because of the absolutely dire schlock on the pop charts in the 50s, songs like Shrimp Boats

I tell you a funny thing about that. All of those hits Jo Stafford had with Columbia in the 50s were the most awful dreck imaginable*, but Youtube comment sections for, say, You Belong To Me are nothing but stupid lebornintheronggeneration fags and nostalgic old fucks talking about how much better popular music was back then.

*her LPs/B-sides had much better material on them than the hits

Oh and this is full of shit. Timbaland has done layered stuff since Loveless. JUSTICE League's stuff for Rick Ross also has heavily layered production as well. Both may be even more complex examples than anything Kanye has done in terms of sheer layering. There's probably more examples as well that I don't know of since I don't do pop music as much recently.

Don't be such a lewronggeneration fag.

Contrarianism and getting sick of hearing it.
I like some modern pop but it's generally stuff by one-hit wonders that made something a few years ago so no one is playing it to death all day.
I think the main thing is that we only listen to the cream of the crop from old pop. The Beach Boys are still popular because they made excellent albums. I'm sure there's a bunch of shitty pop from the 60's that we never talk about because no one cares. In 20 years, no one will talk about Taylor Swift or XXXTentacion beyond a historical sense/nostalgia plays. People will talk about M83, Lil Yachty, or Kendrick though because they made popular and innovative music that was also artistically good.

everybody fucking layers, that's not my point, although i will admit that timbaland is another fine producer-as-artist.

>M83, Lil Yachty, or Kendrick
>innovative
haha

>You Belong To Me
I just looked this up and listened to it for the first time. It's sure not all that great but I wouldn't call it dreck. Beats out most of modern top 40 for sure though.

Not to that level. I am obviously not just talking overdubs to make the sound more clean.

M83 is good but not innovative, maybe that was a bad example. Kendrick and Lil Yachty are definitely innovators though.

As much as I love Kendrick's music, he's about as much of an innovator as the guy delivering my pizza right now.

>examples of good artistry relative to the likes of brian wilson

>examples of good artistry relative to the likes of brian wilson

die!!!

>M83 is good

What kind of pizza?

Has to be bait.

Domino's Canadian deluxe. The usual.

>Beats out most of modern top 40 for sure though

And he did it, folks. He fell for the lebornintheronggeneration meme without even realizing it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You've_Lost_That_Lovin'_Feelin'

post yfw top 40 pop music will never see anything as ambitious as this ever again

>The production of the single cost Spector around $35,000, then a considerable amount. Spector himself was deeply concerned about the reception to a song that was unusual for its time, worrying that his vision would not be understood. He canvassed a few opinions - his publisher Don Kirshner suggested that the song should be re-titled "Bring Back That Lovin' Feelin'", while New York DJ Murray the K thought that bass line in the middle section similar to that of a slowed-down "La Bamba" should be the start of the song. Spector took these as criticisms and later said: "I didn't sleep for a week when that record came out. I was so sick, I got a spastic colon; I had an ulcer."

that's some hardcore shit man

>In 20 years, no one will talk about Taylor Swift or XXXTentacion beyond a historical sense/nostalgia plays
Why would Taylor Swift be forgotten? She's been around long enough and had enough hits.

I can't see anyone remembering Ariana Grande in 15 years except in shitty VH1 "Where are they now?" shows.

huh? Listen to the new Lil Peep for some ambitious pop my friend.

and then he shot a woman in the teeth

i'm not talking plastic bombast you re-re
well yea he's definitely Rundo-Treskit personality wise

Alright, I'll give you a choice then
Would you rather listen to youtube.com/watch?v=fyaI4-5849w (this was the first song in youtube's popular music video section, I'm not cherrypicking or anything here) or the song you posted?

I hardly only listen to older music but I'm not afraid to admit that the modern pop scene is in a bad state right now because you'll call me a lewronggenerationer. Stupid poptimist.

haha whats a plastib bombast

Once the labels/producers/artists found out the formula for instant hit, the modern top hits have been nothing but samey now. Not sure why would anyone actively listen to them other than finding them on the radio or TV

my fat 10000 mile long cock up your tight teen asshole

>wanting to listen to dated old people music over based DJ Kahleed
We get it, you like to suck dicks. Now please go back to /r/music

>Once the labels/producers/artists found out the formula for instant hit, the top hits have been nothing but samey now

Fixed.

>like it's never not been like that

The 60's is when music literally started, so people were still finding the perfect tune

We talk of Michael Jackson and Madonna when 80s pop is mentioned, no one mentions the legions of forgotten one hit wonders and flavor of the month pop artists. Look at some charts for, like, 1985 and count the number of literally whos you see.

>being this much of a nu-male
>the idea that art can be dated
>looking at art from that perspective in the first place

ask me how i know you're a poseur. go on, ask. people like you are why loveless sits on its own jarringly high mountain like a fucking artistic monopoly.

>the idea that art can be dated
All art is of its time, although the best art is both of its time and transcends it.

>loveless
oh wow, another lewronggeneration favorite.

all perishable food is of its time too
what a hollow point

>this person doesn't indiscriminately suck modern pop music's dick better just keep calling them names