/jazz/

Prove you're not a pleb and write a review of the last jazz album you listened to. Doesn't matter how long or short, just put forth some opinion about the album and explain your opinion.

You're not a pleb are you?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YeJZSdw2oBI
youtube.com/watch?v=vQEhLm5sRPQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i listened to It's Time and I really liked it user :)

This is Kenny G's greatest album, before he started watering down the material he chose on future efforts with the same watery ballad style over and over again. While the songs were obviously meant to be played on smooth jazz radio more than other smooth jazz artists I could name, 'Breathless' has a handful of interesting and sometimes sensual ballads. Aside from 'Forever in Love,' my favorite song on this CD would have to be 'End of the Night,' with its gripping, sexually arousing melody.

The rest of the album has its moments, even though I can live without 'In the Rain.' Jesus Christ. It's a great album by any means, and it's certainly on par with such greats as Ohm and What's Going On. It's fucking amazing unmistakablylate eighties/early nineties smooth jazz. I honestly have no idea where this absolute hatred of it comes from that people usually perceive with it.

patrician desu

the whole "all smooth jazz is gay lol" meme is dumb

I'm listening to "Forever in Love", this user's favourite song on Breathless apparently and it's awful.
You would have to have brain damage to enjoy this.

Know any smooth jazz that isn't bad? Genuinely interested.

Steve Lacy. Not the dude collaborates with Tyler and Frank Ocean, but the guy who made a load of free jazz music back in the 80s. I listened to a few of his albums recently and I really enjoyed them. The improvisation aspects of the songs meant I never really truly expected what was to come and on the occasion, some melodies would come back into the frame and then suddenly disappear again. Would recommend listening to him, if that's the sort of stuff you're in to. Would say just sit down and just immerse yourself into it rather than it being something you listen to in addition to all the other stuff you're doing.

yo this shit fonky

On the Corner is still one of the most underappreciated albums of all-time for how visionary and predictive it was. It was the future in 74 and it still fucking is. How and why it gets lost amongst Miles' other works, I will never understand.

Oh Yeah! by Mingus is his most underrated work. Mingus strip down all the luxaries from previous and future albums to obtain a trully raw sounds that is able to sound both acessible and experimental.

true patrician jazz

youtube.com/watch?v=YeJZSdw2oBI

This and a tribute to jack Johnson are my favorite jazz

>tfw everyone on Sup Forums is a pleb

Trio 3's 2017 record, Visiting Texture, does exactly what its name suggests, taking a more textural approach to jazz. But its approach to textured jazz reminds me the closest to maybe Albert Ayler rather than the seemingly drone inspired aspects of musicians like Coltrane (on Ascension) or Don Cherry or Tigran Hamasyan's recent works. So rather than like some sort of constant playing, each instrument plays bursts of various free jazz phrases, with each "burst" timed differently among the three instruments (sax, bass, drums.) This kind of syncopation results in something which has its parts weaving around each other within the musical space rather than being together all the time. As someone not super experienced with jazz, I personally found the drums to be notable in that rather than the sort of groove more typical jazz has or the chaos of free jazz, they are sort of...filling out parts of the texture playing whatever part of the drumset would be most fitting for a moment to do that. To use an analogy, the musical space is a floor that needs to be painted. The saxophone is the big roller which covers the majority of the floor. But those rollers aren't accurate and often leave big spaces that aren't painted, which are covered here by the bass which is a standard medium sized paintbrush. The edges of the floor can't be done with either of those other two, so here we got the drums doing the edges of the floor, being the equivalent of fine, small brush.

I like it because of this seemingly unconventional approach towards improvisation and composition in jazz.

I am a pleb, but

Joe McPhee's Nation Time hits a lot of my switches and pretty well. Love the use of both acoustic and electric piano, and how it's pretty intense throughout, memorable and the right amount (and kind) of intense. I'm also a sucker for hearing the shouting and yelling of the musicians in the studio while they're playing.

p nice review. i don't listen to much modern jazz but i might give this a try

ole by john coltrane is fucking thick and maximalist as fuck. hard to listen to on a hot day but very hypnotic and immersive. i think the title track drags a bit but it's well worth hearing the flute solo and the dense instrumentation come to some sort of a conclusion

>Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come
>Ornette Coleman - Free Jazz

Two of the most accurate album titles ever.

Hancock's second outing in the fusion world has the flavours of 70s Miles, a spacier side of Hancock that we don't see much of before he got funky. Crossings is my favourite Herbie Hancock album, alongside Maiden Voyage.

9/10

how to become a jazz patrician Sup Forums?

appreciate the classics, then discover and explore on your own. Jazz is a very easy genre to explore as a lot of the musicians that played with each other (especially in the 50s-60s) have their own solo albums.

Listened to this for about the 30th time this year, great album, the instrumentation is so passionate and sounds like joyous religious music the more you listen to it

what makes the instrumentation "passionate"?

what about the music makes it sound inherently "religious"?

Is this real? What the hell

Just fucking listen to the instrumentation pleb, it all sounds like a bunch of instruments screaming at each other for the listener's focus to be on them once they get their solos, and then at the end of their solos they're overpowered by the surrounding instruments and forced back into a chorus of screaming. All of the instruments bring a lot of emotion into each of their solos. The religious shit is just because the album gives me the imagery of some sort of cosmic experience and the shit Coltrane was thinking about at the time

The Rippingtons, Return to Forever, Chick Corea are all fantastic.

I don't think you understand the full connotations of the term "instrumentation."

Explain yourself faggot, and what does that have to do with my enjoyment and perception of Ascension
>inb4 5 paragraph long shitpost

the word "instrumentation" describes the specific combination of instruments that make up the ensemble, not the way the players are playing the instruments

what an album. i've loved pat metheny for years and "last train home" got me through a few bad breakups.

Same Difference faggot, I could've put "playing" but "instrumentation" is a big fancy $5 word

>very limited amount of improvisation with non-existent amounts of melodic/harmonic development to make up for it
>simplified grooves that take away any of the more subtle/dynamic aspects of jazz drumming (even though many examples in jazz show you can have both)
>large arrangement that weaves in parts like a first year music school kiddie
>a "variety" of different parts that play too close together instead of being more syncopated, thus not being taken full advantage of to create dance rhythms nor actual depth/complexity

It's literally outdated (even at the time), cliche dance music with no depth. The 60s equivalent of The Epic but not as bloated. Note how this album wasn't even that highly acclaimed when it came out; Downbeat gave it a 4/5 when just about any relatively decent record can nab a 5/5 from them (so don't give "le most acclaimed" garbage either). The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady didn't get praise until later by people who hadn't listened to more than a handful of jazz records and were too casual to fully digest the more intricate improvisations in real jazz music but also couldn't handle the depth in compositions of classical music.

I just think it's funny when people like you try to use "fancy $5 words" to describe music that you only pretend to understand and then can't even use the words correctly

Pleb here. Where do I start with Charlie Parker?

>Keith Jarrett - Bremin, July 12, 1973 Part I
Found this set for $6 at a record store, wanted to see if it lived up to youtube recommendation meme status. First piece of music I've heard from Jarret (excluding Miles Davis albums), and it seems like a strong work of solo piano improvisation. I'll listen to the rest of the parts over the next couple days

*Bremen

It's a very unique take on big band jazz, complete with the Egyptian music influences. Basically, Yusef Lateef's wet dream.

Egyptian beats and drumming along with some eastern instruments such as the ney.

All of that merging seamlessly with the western sound of jazz.

Recording quality is grainy, but don't let that prevent you from listening to this.

Catchy and memorable. One of a kind album desu lads.

Here's a sample: youtube.com/watch?v=vQEhLm5sRPQ

Not nearly as spooky as everyone says it is.

Savoy + Dial recordings