Does anyone here shave with a straight razor? I kinda want one but I don't want to slice my throat...

Does anyone here shave with a straight razor? I kinda want one but I don't want to slice my throat, is it almost a guarantee I will probably cut myself the first few times or so?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B071RBQLWF/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdb_0Xz1zb5FY4795
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I have one. Its a bitch. Not very practical.

I shave my checks with it and switch to normal for neck. Too risky

Great for eyebrows

I disagree. Go camping and you can shave with a drop of water. A metal straight razor with disposable blades are the best, are cheap and will last a lifetime,

Just don't shave hungover and you'll be fine

Also yeah you'll cut yourself, but the cut will be clean and heal within half a day unless you fuck totally up just don't be a pussy and get one

Use moderate pressure and only do up and down motions It's the side to side slicing motions that will fuck your face up as you shave

use a safety razor instead.

boring

This guy. Use a 45 degree angle on the skin go with the grain, resoap then run against it, never run the blade parallel or along the skin, I find pressure ain't much of a big deal its usually the scraping sound the hairs make that acts as a guide.

Started shaving with a straight razor, after only using disposable. Took some getting used to, but aside from a couple nicks, not that hard.

As said, cuts will be clean and heal quickly. Not super practical (you need to strop regularly, etc), but I like it more than disposable razors.

Start off slow. Learn the contours of your face and which way the hairs grow. The. Sides of the chin are the most difficult at first.

You don't need a straight razor. You just need to invest in good blades, a good preshave wash, a preshave oil, a good shaving gel, and a good aftershave balm. Don't bother investing in a straight razor. It takes too much time.

Not shaving with a microtome blade.
Fucking plebs.

You talk like a fag and your shit is all retarded.

>fag
You mean proper English?

I only do side to side motions
My hair grows fucked up

Fucking poorfags

I've been using a cheap disposable one for about a couple years now. I go up against the grain on cheeks a couple times, down with the grain for chin and then up against it, and then for lip I try to go sideways/at a 45 degree angle.

Cut myself often, don't have the steadiest of hands, probably doing it wrong. Considering upgrading to the real thing anyways.
When i used a regular gilette razor, i always preferred the single-blade side anyways

Yeah. You're doing it wrong.

Straight razors are expensive, got a Solingen and Mozart special - but don't actually use them.
You're better off buying a merkur futur clone from aliexpress, they are dirt cheap and safe.
Just don't use the goo in a can, you need actual water and soap.

I use the totally overpriced 5-blade/trimming blade/lotion strip disposable blades, but only because I shave my entire head with them and a package of 4 lasts for two months

Stop talking shit.

For the same price I buy 100 safety razors that last me a year - since I use a new blade for every shave, I've had no skin irritation or that burning feeling.

I actually know what I'm talking about.
If you're butt hurt because you use the canned foam - get bent.

Same here. The savings are worth it. I've been using a $15 razor for almost 6 years and a few weeks ago my barber gave me a free pack of single blades. But to be fair I don't think I could shave my head with a straight edge, just the face.

amazon.com/dp/B071RBQLWF/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdb_0Xz1zb5FY4795

You're still talking shit Bro.

Go to a barber that does proper straight razor shaves. They'll use one with an blade insert but it'll be unguarded and look like a mono piece razor. It'll certainly shave like a mono piece. Get a couple of shaves that way before you buy anything.

Also, don't bother with those faggot hairdressers that whip out the safety razor and call it a straight razor. I wouldn't drop a dollar on that shit.

Everybody's different. I've been shaving for 25 years and I have the most difficult beard of anyone I've met. My regular barber won't even try to shave me anymore. The biggest thing I've learned is: moisture level of the skin and hair is crucial and I never shave with one of those ridiculous 5 blade razors. I use a two blade disposable or one of my safety razors, but all of that is secondary to moisturizing my face adequately.

"Feather" brand razor blades are the best but pretty aggressive. Wilkinson Sword razor blades are the best beginner blades.

Yes, for about 15 yrs. You may nick yourself the first few times, but the best way to avoid this is to be humble, dont try to hotdog things. Shave your cheeks only the first few times, theyre the easiest. Pull the skin tight so it cant bunch up in front of the blade, keep the blade close to the skin, and dont slice or scrape. Use a light touch, just kind of waft the blade lightly over the skin. Its not hard, men shaved with straight razors for centuries without killing themselves.

Hmm. Also make sure to really soak your beard before shaving to soften the whiskers. Some guys use a hot damp towel, i just splash warm water into my whiskers and use a wet lather, then wait a minute for the whiskers to soften - i use that time to strop.