Is homosexuality a mental disorder? What about transgender people? Why or why not

Is homosexuality a mental disorder? What about transgender people? Why or why not

Other urls found in this thread:

scientificamerican.com/article/is-there-something-unique-about-the-transgender-brain/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Oui

idk im bisexual and used to have a lot of depression and insomnia. Im pretty alright right now though. It does make sense to me though that someone who is homosexual would be more likely to have a mental disorder since you already have an atypical attraction. Fucking fags shouldnt get butt hurt at straight up data. I fucking hate stereotypical homos.

Im not at all saying that being homosexuality is a bad thing, but its a pretty accepted fact that people are born that way. Its. Not a choice. But being gay completely prevents you from breeding. No species is normally homosexual because it simply wouldn't be able to reproduce. So technically speaking, being gay is a form of mental illness is it not? Once again, im not trying to say its a bad thing to be gay. Everyone should be free to do whatever they feel is right.

Homo, no. Trannies, yes. It's called Gender Dysphoria.

It sucks that now a days you cant have any type of controversial discussion about LGBT due to snowflakes getting offended. I googled this question trying to find scientific studies on this matter but its all a bunch of garbage. Nothing relevant is said. Just a bunch of liberals trying to protect homosexuals from the big bad world. Seems like Sup Forums is the only place you can have an actual discussion on the topic

Gay person here, honestly i'm not sure anymore if it's linked to some kind of mental disorder. Most gay people I know have suffered with some kind of mental illness in their lives, typically depression and/or anxiety but I suppose that's to be expected. Shitty home lives too. Idk if that's linked, but it's what I noticed.

I feel like a lot of the depression & anxiety comes from the stigma around homosexuality. For example, a highschool kid being bullied for being gay. That causes depression. Also just the fact of feeling different or like you aren't normal. So im not too sure if its related on a biological level

Yeah it definitely seems like more of a societal thing than anything biological. Also most of the gay folks I know are fucking obsessed with cartoons and anime shit. THAT is something I can't fully understand, but it's a really strong theme. Like.. I can only guess it's escapism, but even when they're out of the closet they're still hung up on weeb shit. It's a weird thing.

A bigger question is should research be done into finding out what makes a person LGBT? If we actually find the chemicals or brain structures that definitively cause XYZ it'll further our understanding of how this whole mess works.

multiple studies using functionalMRIs show that mtf tg brains seems to operate closely similarly to female brains

Here is my take on it. Human beings as a species has survived based on the fact that most of the girls want to have sex with the guys and most of the guys want to have sex with the girls.... Which means it may just be hard wired into us as human beings.... Not that having other desires is a mental disorder but to treat it as normal is..... Its not normal, but its not wrong..... As we go threw life we see so much diversity.... Base people on their morals, not preferences

A bunch of LGBT people don't believe in science, apparently.
Even talking about gender/sex in a scientific context can get you in trouble, these days.
I don't mind the arts/humanities, but science should always trump all.

tbh a lot of people who hate LGBTs dont give a fuck about science either

Interesting. That confirms the experience of trans people, but it causes problems for feminists that like to claim that gender is a social construct.
It also doesn't explain all of the other genders in the "spectrum".

Society, through hard-wired gender norms and roles, has forced individuals to believe that in order to express their sexuality properly and feel accepted, that they must belong to the gender that this sexuality best aligns with by society's standards. In reality, any human being should be able to express their sexuality and/or personality freely without feeling the need to alter themselves biologically.

tl;dr yes its a mental disorder

Fair call. I just wish the topic could be studied objectively, without complaint.

me too

What happens when procreation no longer requires a male and female? When science is advanced enough to create children in an artificial womb or you can create a designer baby that nust requires a hair for your DNA to be present in the child?

Do you think homosexuality will become more common then? Will it be considered a mental illness if there is no reason for it to be any other way?

>inb4 Adam &Eve, not Adam & Steve

I'm legit curious what everyone's thoughts are

Dont forget too natural selection and such, we have a population closing on 8 billion people. On top of there not being a need to hunt or keep small communities anymore along with advances of medicine, more people that are LGBT are living. If this was middle ages or before, those people would have been culled for being weak or useless, no community wants a man that thinks he is a woman and acts like that, we have women for that role, and women that acted like men being butch, they werent as strong. but now its not such an issue so there is no big deal if they are around or not.

Nice trips:

OT - People wont have children, its too much of a strain, we will grow replacements that will be housed in group homes. People will go to VR for sex, since its pretty much at that point going to feel like the same thing.

It won't be about gay or straight, it will be about you yourself, with baby farms that will no longer have a mother/father, just a group of kids being "grown" to fit what society needs as a whole.

checked

ultimately I think that the issue of gender will prove to matter very little compared to the inevitable societal issues we face as technology progresses onward.

Yes it is. We be politically correct all you want and have the choose to or born that way argument all you want. Neither changes the fact that it goes against breeding necessary to continue the race. It should be treated just like any over mental disorder from OCD to schizophrenia.

Good point.

It is, based off of anxiety and hedonism, as well as external factors. People will argue its not a choice, but there is always a choice. One can create their own world, and so if one is treated a certain way, and has select personality traits, they can develop the disorder. There is far more too it, but this of the top of my head.

I see it more like a fetish more than "normal" since is against the life cycle I dont consider it a normal behavior.

What do you think of this

No, all that's been found is the subcortial areas of the brain tend to be thinner like that of males for ftm. Significance of those results are questionable at best. Quit spreading this false bullshit and cite your claims. People actually believe bullshit they read when it aligns with their bias.
scientificamerican.com/article/is-there-something-unique-about-the-transgender-brain/

Wouldn't it be considered a genetic mutation then? If its proven that we are (I'm also bi) born this way, and there is no way to change that, it shoukd be considered a genetic mutation, not a mental illness.
Pic unrelated.

I must have somethign fucked up in my brain being able to bust from milfs to feral gay dragons.

I read that there is a link between homosexuality, child abuse, and mental illness. Even though I didn't experience any significant trauma growing up, I still grew up bi, so for the study's reliability, I cant vouch.

Yea lets treat a mental disease that leaves you incapable of taking care of yourself to another maybe disease that only makes you attracted to the same sex. Brilliant.

For all the gay and bi people here. I'm bi(and I'm sure we've all asked ourselves this question) so, nature or nurture? Were you diddled as a kid, made to act like a girl by your sister or any other environmental factors?

Nature vs Nurture

Personally, I was diddled by a close family friend(male) and I'm bi. I'm as masculine as they come but I wouldn't pass up on yhe opportunity to get head or fuck a nice ass. Also, I'm only into masculine guys and I'm not attracted to twinks or feminine men. This leads me to believe that I was born straight and learned to like men, maybe because I was a small child and had to learn to cope/like it to protect or help myself in some way

I have a vague memory of an older female cousin making me kiss her under some bed sheets when she was watching me at my grandmas house. Other than that I was never diddled or abused by family members.

Maybe you were just born a faggot

IF we ever get there. I am hopeful and idealistic/optimistic in that I want humanity to reach Star Trek-levels of technology and expansion one day, but unfortunately we have to convert (unlikely), or get rid of those who have Luddite-like mentalities, cultures, and religious ideals.

>tfw i was born a faggot but still had sex with several females and one male

Stay mad virgin

I'm straight. I hate masculine girls. Why? Who the fuck knows, everyone's got their preferences. You can't choose them.

all gay people have diseases. so homosexuality is a disease. we should pray for them fellas.
>pray the gay away

Are you male or female?

Maybe, I've wondered

I agree and I think our view on sexuality is going to evolve along with our rapid advancements in artificial procreation. There will always be fundamentalists in every field and aspect of life but I think humanity as a whole will accept it.

That's very interesting. I agree we can't choose them but I wonder if we can't choose them because we were born woth the preferences ingrained in our brains or if they are learned behaviors. Forgot to mention that I'm only attracted to guys 30+ which, to me, lends credence to the nature theory. But maybe the user that said I was just born a faggot might be right and my experience with the molester just shaped my preference of the kind of guy I liked and nothing else

I dont think being born gay has been scientifically proven anywhere at all and this was a bandwagon idea that became believed everywhere.

Is there any proof of this at all? How can you say its a genetic mutation. That would imply chromosomal changes and I don't believe that has anything to do with homosexuality. But whats ironic is it does have to do with down syndrome which some people consider a mental illness, however it is a genetic mutation

I vaguely remember babysitters sitting me down and making me look under their shirts or flashing me. I had like over 10 babysitters, so who knows what else happened.
Also, I think I was passed around as a baby for breastfeeding with other mothers.
Either who, I love titties and I love sucking on them.
I may have been dry humped by a male cousin and my big brother. But well, I guess I'll talk it over with a psychologist soon. I don't have any issues mentally, except with confidence and self-esteem, but that didn't appear after middle school and into high school.
Although...there is this thing that used to happen around my anus, that it just springs with pain whenever I think or witness something painful, usually it's something very acute, like being jabbed in the ribs or being pierced with something. It hasn't happened in years. Yes, I get the obvious insinuation, but any therapist/psychologyfag want to chime in?

>I think humanity as a whole will accept it.
I think the idea of sexuality will just fade away, instead of labeling each other homo or hetero, everyone will just fuck anybody that they are into. Eventually with better contraceptives and anti-STI drugs, the rate in which people get into serious relationships or marriages won't necessarily decline, but instead be prolonged onto later stages in life, when people think they are ready and in better, stable careers. We are already seeing this trend in first world nations, where the average age to marry keeps getting higher.
Of course, I'm talking maybe 100 or so years into the future.

Yes and yes. In the near future women will be able to abort when they find out they will be giving birth to one of these little monsters.