Looking for good cards to put into my pre-built commander deck

Looking for good cards to put into my pre-built commander deck

I'm actually working on upgrading that same deck right now.

What have you changed thus far?

Felidar Sovereign is obvious as its a cat, but its such an asshole card to play I probably will not include it.

Brimaz seems fine to put in as are most Leonin creatures that werent already in.

I kinda like the idea of Cataclysm, but feel its to narrow.

what the fuck is that? that isn't a magic card.

That deck is hands-down the best C17 deck. GW mana ramp cat tribal master race.

It is fun to play, aside from the fact you are tribal kitties.

I'm throwing in some equipment and some more mana rocks to get them out and equiped faster.

XDDDDDDDDD

who are you running as your commander?

Is it for casual game with friends, assholes at a store, retarded 1v1 competetive?

Try a man-card. Stop playing magic.

This card should be in every white deck. Preferably WUR with forks, twincasts and other copying abilities.

I know it isn't an equipment, but its a pseudo equipment and really cheap.

thats banned in almost every format

Just go to /tg/ idiot

This deck is by far the best straight out of the box.
Throw in some cards from Amonkhet (Regal caracal, Pride Sovreign, Adourned Pouncer, Prepare // Fight) and it's golden. Lost Leonin is another excellent addition.
Get rid of some very late game manag generation shit like Zendikar Awoken or whatever it's called, you already have Mirai's Wake.

Hey OP, avid commander player here. Good site to check up on commander cards to be put into a deck is a website called EDHREC. Assuming you haven't used it or just want public opinion.

I know nothing about that since I don't like the precon much but eh, everyone has their own tastes. Hopefully this helps a little.

>cards from Amonkhet
Good thought. I forgot they had a whole cat theme going.

If you have them, all of the good swords (fire and ice, feast and famine, etc.).

Also stuff that finds equipment or reduces equip costs. Stonehewer Giant isn't a cat, but seems worth the add.

You can see how commander tribes were effected by recent sets.
It's no coincidence we got cat tribal in standard when we've barely had lords for them before and they just release BW vampires after Edgar rolled around the corner.

It depends on how you want to make the deck.
I feel that going the "aggro" route is far easier on your wallet and ensures you don't fold to artifact hate.
Equipment route is expensive since all the good equipment and equipment tutors are $8-$15 each, but can ensure an easier transition into the late game.

If nothing else, Darksteel Plate is still an amazing card, I'd replace Argentum Armor with it because argentum is way too expensive for how quickly it's dealt with.

I'm not sure any of the Coat of Arms type effects are worth it. Seems too expensive and you usually have a few cats in play, not a dozen.

stone forge mystic, batterskull if youre continuing the equipment theme. im sure thats been said but it needs to be. any modernfags? abzan junk master race here

True, the equipment package is pretty expensive. I like it for a change of style as tribal aggro has been done many times. Equip decks have been too but I feel less then aggro.

I have all the expensive stuff so cost isn't an issue for me. Aggro seems doable if you throw in the coat of arms effects and possibly go for tokens and populate. Killing someone with 20 kittens does sound awesome.

Anyone run Mana Crypt in their EDH decks? Its good ramping in general, but I feel it would do too much damage in the format. I suppose if you really need ramp its worth it, or if you have a bunch of sac outlets. Otherwise I'm not sure its worth keeping since its not good late game and can deal too much damage if played early.

For me it depended on how you wanted to play it, i honestly dropped the equipment sub theme and went full cat tribal, if you want a good equipment commander i would suggest Akiri, Line Slinger, as for the cat tribal, I suggest Brimaz, king of oreskos, i also like the mono green Mirri,

I would recommend nacatl war pride if you can get your hands on it. and ajani, caller of the pride to get a little flying presence and a kitty horde going. and a masterwork if ingenuity is pretty cool

Oh and as many token doublers as you can afford, get 2 or 3 out is becomes really funny

>>>tg

Make your own cat tokens with pictures of your pet kitties. Laugh as your opponent dies to an attack from 'Muffin' and 'Fluffy'.

Equipment was the first thing I upgraded. Tossed a Jitte and Sword of War/Peace in.
Do a Regal Caracal, and Pride Sovereign if you have them. Felidar Sovereign is solid too. The surprise "Oh shit, I win" is nice.

I could see Mana Crypt being really good here. Especially with some lifelink going on, taking an average of 1.5 damage each of your turns isn't huge.

>usually
Did you just assume my deck is the same as others, user?
Coat is a perfect curve topper for aggro decks, that being said nobody actually plays true aggro at and EDH table since 3+ players typically means someone has a boardclear by turn 5, and after you lost momentum it's impossible to catch up to several other decks that are geared for the late game.

That being said, Eminence is a busted effect in Duel Commander (aka French, aka 1v1, aka EDH-lite, aka Legacy-lite) and these decks make for a perfect, cheap way to get into the worst thing about EDH.

>swinging wide
A lot of ways that can go wrong.
And like I just said, it really depends on the table you're playing at.
Aggro is widely disdained in a multiplayer format because it's know for "Killing one guy then losing". EDH is a format where 2 card combos and strong value interactions reign supreme, and with everyone running 4 boardwipes in their decks it makes it very hard to have that kind of an advantage.

I loathe people who toss around the words "politics" and "mind games" too often, but there really is a special way to play multiplayer formats that isn't just about dealing damage. Appear as too much of a threat and the rest of the table will band together to knock you down a peg.

positive mana rocks like sol ring are a staple in every competitive EDH deck, but competitive EDH is busted as fuck and anyone who actually takes pleasure in the format is running a deck that costs over $600.

The damage mana crypt does is negligible compared to the massive advantage it gives you.

>jitte
Not as strong in a singleton multiplayer format, if you don't get it out very early it can be a very disappointing draw after turn 8.
Cards that are amazing in other formats can often be very underwhelming here.

I'd be running them in my EDH decks if I weren't broke from bills. Hell, the local game shop just got one in, but it's a little over 70 bucks, and I can't justify it. Might grab a few Mana Vaults though, since those are cheap there.

Good point, cats tend to have lifelink. If you are going the equip route, having the extra mana to cast and equip could totally be worth it. Real early, it is way better than Sol Ring, which is saying something.

True. Truthfully, I haven't had a chance to test out the changes to it yet, so I don't know how it'll run just yet. Been playing with the Dragon one and tinkering with my mono-black EDH deck currently. Getting a Sneak Attack and Necropotence this weekend for them.

>Did you just assume my deck is the same as others, user?
Yes.

Kidding aside, you make many good points. I feel EDH is dominated most by metagame compared with other formats. It really depends on who you are playing, what decks they are using, how familiar they are with the deck, how often its been upgraded, gentlemen's agreements about power level, drunkeness, etc.

I did find that my elves aggro deck was pretty dead to 3 players and all their board wipes. Not very fun to do all the work in the early turns and then it all gets blown away and you start over while people throw around ridiculous combos.

Sigarda's Aid could be solid if you're going the equipment route. 1 mana to give all of your equipment flash and negate the equip costs the first time looks really nasty. I also tossed in Mirror Entity as a mana sink for when I'm going wide (It's technically a cat, too!), Quest for the Holy Relic, and Adorned Pouncer, and upgraded the mana base a bit.

>Dragon
I love just how under the radar Ur-dragon flew up until release.
Everyone thought Inalla would be broken due to her infinites but Ur-dragon ended up dominating a lot of games at local tables.
Edgar can sneak a lot of wins if no one clears the board fast enough or does anything about Sanguine Bond type shit, too.

Ur-dragon is just such a good, viable Timmy commanders.
I was never partial to Scion since he's a walking toolkit that dies to sacrifice effects and get majorly fucked over by graveyard removal.
Ur-dragon just makes for nasty ass curves and is a beast when he actually manages to hit the board.
Scion takes off far quicker but Ur-dragon is relatively safer and much stronger in the late game.

tbf elfball has always been hated off kitchen table boards
I try not to make assumptions but whenever I see someone with an elf deck and they don't have a vagina or wear a v-neck and weigh less than 90 pounds then I have to suppress a massive sigh.

EDH is a great format that let's people play their pet cards that were never viable in competitive formats and even sometimes on the 60 card kitchen table, however due to it's rising popularity it's become a bit of an arms race.

Having several decks is the best answer to this, although it can end up the most expensive if you're not careful with your budgeting and deckbuilding skills.

I have
>Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis
A catchall grouphug/slug deck that revolves around propaganda effects, howling mine/exploration effects, boardclears and wheels until I've ramped enough to start dropping extremely dangerous cards each turn.

>Mairsil, the Pretender
Can be very difficult to make him work but he's the jankiest son of a bitch and I was a fan of his lore for a very long time

and
>Licia
Also jank as hell but can be extremely mean when I manage to cheat her out or gain enough life to the point where I can discharge Aetherflux Reservoir without being vulnerable to another player.

Ur-Dragon is nuts once he gets going. I love the idea of swinging at a defenseless player with him with, say, Bladewing the Risen out for a pump, and dropping a damage doubler for free to just one shot them. Gratuitous Violence for free out of the blue is brutal.

>Having several decks is the best answer to this
Definitely. I will choose a deck based on mood and whos playing. I generally like grouphug just so we can all see more cards. If I win, great. If not, thats fine too.

My line-up is a bit weak but generally you should want something like:
>cheap, weaker deck with pet cards for really casual games
>deck with proper answers and wincons but still room for pet cards and janky interactions
>somewhat competitive deck with plenty of tutors, answers and wincons
>full on competitive deck that you have to dust off when the wallet warrior shows up at the table and starts talking shit about how everyone needs to git gud

Hm, and I just realized the synergy between Neheb the Eternal and Aggravated Assault. So, so nasty.

>janky interactions
That brings us to my favorite deck, Zedruu Donator. Donate has always been one of my favorite cards. Now I have a hilarious deck revolving around the concept.

>Mirrorweaving everything you own into a Bronze Bombshell the dropping Sky Swallower
There is no memeier way to win.