/ambient/ - Ambient General

C'mon Edition

Discuss ambient, share the best of the best, enhance the existing beauty of sound, get gud, stuff like that.

Start up question - what is your favorite ambient album of 2017?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Me4vSpsgrX4
youtu.be/rXjZjovoqHw
soundcloud.com/augustas-markevi-ius/byzantine-raincoat/s-4S1VT
theflashbulb.bandcamp.com/track/solar-one
youtube.com/watch?v=F_AOEzf6Qog
youtube.com/watch?v=vN5OPrWSemo
youtube.com/watch?v=mvhqrVoc7aQ
youtube.com/watch?v=k66nGplNRmQ
youtube.com/watch?v=BINM5sCyUJU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

90s ambient techno is so fucking cool

youtube.com/watch?v=Me4vSpsgrX4

Pausal - Avifaunal is AOTY

Yup

youtu.be/rXjZjovoqHw

Holy. Crap.
This sounds freaking great! The samples, the field recordings, all of it... It sounds like something I would do if wasn't sucking with my current music

So i'm an ambient newb; have listened to Amber, SAW and the BoC albums (not sure if this qualifies as ambient); where do i go from there?

Also, does anyone else think the Earth 2 qualifies as ambient music? I know it's primarily drone metal but feel it has a strong ambient bent.

sleepresearch_facility

Stars of the Lid are my favorite (not OP), so you should listen to that. Especially if you like the droney stuff. If you like the "heavier" droney stuff I'd check out dark ambient (Haxan Cloak is a good start). Or if you particularly like the blues rock thing, F#A# by GYBE is very droney and good (don't let the tryhards sway you)

Earth is kind of an outlier cause they're more of a rock band than a drone band imo. but Sunn O))) actually started as an Earth cover band I think, so maybe check out them

currently listening to pic related which was given to me as an ambient rec

it's not really that ambient but it's pretty cool

does anyone here make ambient music? i've started doing it a bit in fl studio but i'm satruggling to find interesting sounds to use

i've barely listened to anything from 2017

sure, without drums the guitars are pretty much just used for texture

My personal start was with these four: Brian Eno, Grouper, Tim Hecker, Basinski. And it all started from there. Stars of the Lid is a must. It all depends on what do you like most about ambient and what draw you into each release. But I would recommend Ravedeath, 1972 and/or Eno's Ambient tetralogy for the start.

I do, in a way. It's really hard to finding interesting sounds at the beginning but basically look for some cool VSTs and effects and just fuck around with that, there's no better way to do it imho. It's all try and error and some textures come naturally as you get yourself more into making it. Record some weird things and modulate them afterwards too. A few years ago I was basically making an ""ambient"" (albeit very shitty one) just out of field recordings and birds singing coming through the effects of different kind. So don't just start and end with FL and VSTs - think outside of the box!

>Drumm
>Gas
>SotL
>Mirror
>Preslav
>Cantu
>Ambarchi

Are you me?

m8 just eq a recording of your ac or pc fans for about 10 mins and maybe add a really subtle chord or two for about half the track

They are great man! I've recently found them and can't put them away. They're just so relaxing

/ambient/ generals are one of my favourite things that has happened to Sup Forums recently
and people don't seem to invade them to shitpost like with other generals, which is always good

man i don't know half this chart, i'll defnitely work my way through it

Thanks for the chart

seriously. if you look through the archive it's always the same shitty outdated general charts. very hard to get into ambient on Sup Forums and rym's not much better

how would you reccomend doing it then?

It's always going to be a lose-lose game either way so we might just as well stick here and make a nice, solid general and slowly adding new things and elements so it becomes more of a thing. But agreed - we need more and better charts.

Okay lads lets try to get some content going...

Anyone have any really good ambient dub recommendations? Really enjoy Echospace, especially Lumin's second disc. Looking for that "in the city at 4am" vibe. Maybe a more ambient Burial.

What are some artists or albums you just can't seem to get into? For me it's Endless Summer and really all of Fennesz's discography. I dunno why but it always seems too noisy for me.

None of those are ambient

Check out
Brian Eno-1,2,3,4
Biosphere-Substrata
Loscil-Endless Falls
SotL-Tired Sounds, Refinement if the Decline

Been on a Windy and Carl kick lately

Let's go!

>Anyone have any really good ambient dub recommendations?
I would say: Demdike Stare, The Orb, Woob, Vladislav Delay, Deadbeat. Can't remember exactly if they have that city vibe but you might start your search there

>What are some artists or albums you just can't seem to get into?
New age ambient in general. Wanted to get myself into Virginia Astley, especially "From Gardens..." and it's too bloody whimsical for me.

I feel you on some of the new age ambient stuff. I have a difficult time with stuff like Steve Roach, honestly. I know I'm supposed to like it, but sometimes it just feels like a goofy OST for a pre-installed Microsoft game.

Just going to keep churning out points for discussion:

What's the best/your favorite ambient album art?

What's the worst or cheesiest?

Oh yeah, papa Roach is hard for me to get to as well. My friend's super into his music and I still can't get it for some reason.

>What's the best/your favorite ambient album art?
In no particular order:
The Tired Sounds Of Stars of the Lid
Grouper's Ruins
Most of The Caretaker's (from the smoking rock)
Eno's Music for Films (loving that texture so bloody much)
Basinski's A Shadow in Time
A Winged Victory for the Sullen s/t

So well executed and 100% representation of their sound and what you are getting yourself into.

>What's the worst or cheesiest?
Mine :^)

might i suggest Hiroshi Yoshimura? I've been a pretty big fan of his work for a while now.

Good choice. For me at least Yoshimura's best at piano. His electronic ambient doesn't do anything for me. But hell if I don't enjoy these Postcards and Static for Piano for sure

Any Gas albums after the first one, if he counts.

i do, mostly guitar loop based. Takes a lot of messing with pedals and post processing to get nice textures. I'd like to try some true analog ambient.

>mostly guitar loop based
Hard to come by something good from that field. Good you're contributing!

ambient's arguably my favorite genre yet i feel i dislike the majority of it because of how corny and/or lazy it can be

It's definitely a strange thingy of expectations towards a release versus what a release/artist can actually offer. The best way is to just find a niche, sub-genre, sub-category and stick with it.

soundcloud.com/augustas-markevi-ius/byzantine-raincoat/s-4S1VT

Sorry, I'm not into shilling

I am

That's kind of sad really

Aren't we all

This shit is bonkers

If it counts: Ben Frost - By The Throat

haxan cloak sucks. it and lustmord are the only dark ambient this board ever talks about

did u listen to deep frieze?

that might be a strange question but is there any good Sup Forums (current and from the past) ambient stuff around?

no

good

Albums are nice, but long track recommendations anyone? (1 hour and longer)
Here's one I really like
theflashbulb.bandcamp.com/track/solar-one

I make ambient in FL 12.5.
The plugins I use are:
>Sytrus
>Harmor
>Serum
>Omnisphere 2
>Absynth 5
>Dexed
And a whole lot of field recordings and sounds from freesound, archive.org and my own recordings.
Just recreate whatever's in your head.
Don't overthink it.
I get my inspiration from long walks, watching a bunch of movies and listening to a bunch of music.

Pic related. My current project (8 minutes and 24 seconds).
Three instances of Sytrus and one Absynth 5.

youtube.com/watch?v=F_AOEzf6Qog

where can i buy time tourist by these guys?

Probably the best 74 minutes of drone [citation needed]
youtube.com/watch?v=vN5OPrWSemo

Also "Compressions & Rarefactions" by Kenneth Kirschner. Includes two 2h track, one 1h track and two 0.5h ones. Music to zone out basically

why don't anyone but me like Kettel?
pic related, his most ambient album

What's some of /ambient/s favorite releases from this year? Got a lot of love for For Organ and Brass.

I don't really expect to come into a wealth of ambient or drone. I get reccs here and there and I bump into stuff and dig deeper into that in the hopes that I find something.
My least favorite (inb4 mine) is ambient works by oldboy. It's just a little too much red-line-noise. My favorite is probably Super Minerals - Clusters. I was never really sure of what it was as a little square on my computer, but I ordered the tape and it's a picture of some waves crashing onto a beach near a tree. The picture wraps around the entire side of the J-Card.
Yes, but don't shill. That's what /SC/ and /BC/ threads are for.

hi lads im here to share with u a fairly unknown piece of ambient that should really be considered an absolute essential

youtube.com/watch?v=mvhqrVoc7aQ

>1967
>9
>6
>7

>1967
lmao step up your game
youtube.com/watch?v=k66nGplNRmQ

whoa this is...
nice

Nah, don't worry. I'm not that stupid to share my stuff here

>Stellardrone - Light Years

youtube.com/watch?v=BINM5sCyUJU

Thanks, I'll check these out.

discogs

Demdike Stare - Liberation Through Hearing is the only ambient dub to really stick with me

A Winged Victory for the Sullen s/t is gorgeous, only reason I listened to the album and it became my favorite of the genre

music for airports - eno

one of my AOTY

Really good, check out his collaboration with Secede, "When Can"