Are you for or against Australia becoming a republic and why?

Are you for or against Australia becoming a republic and why?

Against. I prefer shitposters to keep the cuckstamp. :3

1. for it
2. I'm a non-white and I think Australians will learn to let go of this white country mentality when we become a republic.

for
really have little to do with england these days and haven't since the second world war.

really try a bit harder mate

What's the difference?

>non white

the only opinion you get to have is to whether be deported back to where you came from or dropped into the ocean.

I have a plan to move to Australia, so being a republic is better for me than living in a colony. Where are you gonna complete this? Brits have to go back

Honestly I dont give a fuck because it doesnt even matter.

It's not the Queen has had any sort authority here in 30 odd years

we're going to have a referendum once the queen kicks it

Do it when the old cunt dies. 100% chance, I guess

Not whilst liz is alive

that's what I said mate

Thought you meant that queen will just say to fuck off and won't let you make a referendum

nah, our current PM is a republican and was the driving force behind the last referendum, but he wants to wait for the queen to die before having another one out of """respect"""

really about time for the french solution to the m*narchy problem

Has she even put her feet there?

yeah fucking years ago
ABBA then came about a year later and drew twice the crowd she did

wait she came in 2010 or so

I actually saw her, dunno why I forgot that

Agaisnt. Don't trade away your huritage.

It's the effect of SOPA mah frend. :3

Don't really have an opinion. What would actually change if we decided to leave the commonwealth aside not being able to compete in the commonwealth games?

Removing the Queen as constitutional head of state has nothing to do with our continued participation as a member of the Commonwealth of Nations. Most Commonwealth members are already republics.

We don't really have a British heritage. Our continued initial relationship with Great Britain was purely for trade protection because their navy was powerful enough to allow Australians to trade internationally using trade routes we at the time didn't have a reliable means to protect.
The only reason we went to war and die for them was that part of the trade protection deal was that in the instance of war, Australia would send troops. It wasn't something Australia was particularly happy about but we had limited choice

So what exactly is the point of not becoming a republic?

You're asking the wrong person because I'm actually a republican, but valid arguments against boil down either to the relative safety of a foreign constitutional monarchy vs. the parliamentary republican head of state that would replace it or to the authority and identity imbued by sharing the British monarch.

They are just Brits, they drive on the left, suck up to the queen and is full of Brits. Even has a British flag.

Pretty much a non-country

Would it change our political system to a significant degree?

>Be republic
>Minor cosmetic changes like using "The Crown" or some shit that is 100% irrelevant to daily life

couldn't give a fuck desu if we went republic. i'd be happier if it was from the start but couldn't care to vote for it.

>They are just Brits
u wat?

You already are a republic in everything but name, it wouldn't do anything. It would just be a cosmetic change. Same thing for Britain itself, there are no true western monarchies anymore.

Like I just said, you drive on the left, most has british heritage, speak english, suck up to the queen, has british flag and still follows a british government.

You are Brits and not being a republic pretty much shows it, at least Canada has it's own flag and drives on the right.

In the late 1990s when we last had the debate a significant minority of republicans were hoping that it would. Most of those wanted a yank style elected executive presidency.
Most people advocating for an Australian republic want what they hope will be a minimum change by replacing Governor-Generals and Governors appointed by the Crown with a President and Governors elected by special parliamentary majorities, so theoretically the G-G would have support from both the government and the main opposition.
Personally I like the idea of electing two people to sit at the top of the constitutional process and do the appointing by proportional representation so you might end up with a pro-Government person and a pro-Opposition person having to agree on appointments and constitutional questions but I'm a weirdo who likes consulships.

Would you change your flag?

A lot of the time the two issues are conflated and a lot of people would take becoming a republic as a cue to change the flag and other symbols, but no, we wouldn't have to.

Why would we want to be a republic.

We have a head of state that lives on the other side of the world, costs us nothing and keeps her mouth shut. Most countries could only dream of having things so good.

I guess if republicans came up with a model that forced a president out of the country and stopped them saying anything more than platitudes I could vote for it.

That's fine until you have a constitutional crisis that actually requires some cojones to fix, e.g. PNG 2011

>We don't really have a British heritage
we do though, you just don't notice since it's the default

M E L B I N
E
L
B
I
N

>we do though
We really don't. But feel free to provide some reasoning.

Go and do your homework, kid.

>In the late 1990s when we last had the debate a significant minority of republicans were hoping that it would.
I kind of remember that, or maybe it was before that. Keating rings a bell, and we had to vote on a referendum, which is about the extent of my memory.

>you drive on the left
Point?
>most has british heritage
Genetic linage is not cultural heritage.
>speak english
So does most of the fucking world by now.
>suck up to the queen
Not remotely.
>has british flag
Nope. A union jack, but that is the smallest part of the flag.
>and still follows a british government
We are also a democracy, does that mean we have Greek heritage? We also have a privately owned central bank, does that mean we have United States heritage?
Come on man. Try a little fucking harder.

it's probably the only way we will change it

we drive on the left because every other country in the region drives on the left, even the dutch colonies.
driving side comes down to what people in the neighbouring countries do for the most part
>speak english
so does most of the world
>suck up to the queen
kek you really know nothing about australia
>has british flag
only because it's been around for so long. When people get tattoos of the flag they always use the southern cross and not the union jack.
>still follows a british government
the last time the british government affected Australia was in 1975 and by their Australian proxy

no, we do. Over 2/3rds of the country have parents that identify as being english or having english heritage and the english continue to be by far the largest source of migrants for australia

maybe it's time to move out of your parramatta bubble zhang

Honestly it is extremely cucked to support your nation being ruled by an old hag on the other side of the planet
Any patriotic kiwi or aussie would support their respective nations to become a Republic
I hate how 40% of kiwis are unpatriotic traitors to NZ and support us being ruled over by Brits
60% however are pro Republic

oh look it's the underage Sup Forums kiwi