Never listened to a Bowie album before in my life. Where do I start? What do I avoid?

Never listened to a Bowie album before in my life. Where do I start? What do I avoid?

Listen to all of his works that aren't his S/T debut from 67, Pinups and Never Let Me Down.

Other than that listen Chronologically.

Skip Let's Dance, Pin Ups and Tonight.

Space Oddity(Single)->Ziggy Stardust->Aladin Sane->Hunky Dory->Diamond Dogs->Station to Station->Heroes->Low->Lodger->Scary Monsters->Heathen->The Next Day->Blaster.
After that listen to 1.Outside, Earthling, Reality, Hours and The Buddha of Suburbia.

But of course the best way to appreciate Bowie is to listen to his discography chronologically.

Avoid it at all costs, don't waste your time in overrated shit

Start with Ziggy Stardust. If you listen to that and want something more modern, go with Station to Station. If you want more acoustic singer/songwriter Elton John style stuff, listen to Hunky Dory. If you like Station to Station, listen to Heroes. If you like Heroes, listen to Low, arguably his best album.

My personal favorite is Station to Station because it's so damn funky. Don't be scared by the title song's length; it really picks up about 3 minutes in and never lets go. "Word on a Wing" and "Stay" are my other favorites. Different artist, but you should also check out Iggy Pop - The Idiot. I consider it Station to Station's closest companion, though it's different. Very grimy and industrial, though with strong pop sensibilites. David Bowie produced it and helped write some of the songs. "Dum Dum Boys" is my favorite song from The Idiot. "Nightclubbing" is a famous one. Good luck!

Listen to everything from The Man Who Sold The World to Let's Dance.

I have listened to the Idiot before and I enjoyed it. That's cool to know that Station to Station is similar but more industrial. Maybe I'll check it out first.

Listen to the classic 8
Honky Dory
Ziggy Stardust
Aladine Sane
Station to Station
Low
Heroes
Scary Monsters
Blackstar

Despite what said, do NOT skip Let's Dance. DO skip Pinups (it's just mediocre covers) and Never Let Me Down (literally no good songs on it). Even if Tonight is meh overall, it still has some good songs (namely Blue Jean, the big single from it). Other than that, yeah, definitely go chronological.
Important thing to remember, listen to Tin Machine 1 and 2 as well. A lot of people will ignore them, but they're both really good albums.

I respect your opinion. But really OP the best way is to go in a chronological order.

The Idiot is more industrial. You misread my post.

My first David bowie then space oddity then the Berlin trilogy

Ziggy -> Hunky -> Diamond Dogs -> Heroes -> Low -> STS -> Aladdin Sane -> Scary Monsters -> Lodger -> Blackstar

get a greatest hits or something

>greatest hits albums
>ever

don't skip over pic related, its a solid black sheep kind of album

Please don't OP, it's really good.

seconded

Young Americans is a black sheep album? That album kicks ass

Young Americans is a goddamn great album.

this honestly. Greatest hits albums are just industry money grubbing scams. It's not at all what the artist intended and bypasses the deeper cuts of albums that deserve to be explored

the definitive sign that someone's a terminally ill pleb

Hunky dory

>life on mars
>quicksand

>Oh! You Pretty Things
That's actually my alarm for Sundays. It's easy to get up when you've got nice piano and David singing "Wake up, you sleepyhead!". Also, a song I've been trying to learn how to sing for the last... I dunno, 3 months? Ever since I healed from my wisdom teeth surgery.
>Queen Bitch
I love this song.
>Kooks
It just makes me happy, alright? It's fun. I love the "I'm not very good at punching other peoples' dads" line.

quicksand

I'm not a prophet or a stone-age man
Just a mortal with the potential of a superman
I'm living on
I'm tethered to the logic of Homo Sapien
Can't take my eyes from the great salvation
Of bullshit faith
If I don't explain what you ought to know
You can tell me all about it on the next Bardo
I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
And I ain't got the power anymore

Best verse I've ever heard right here

Look Hunky Dory's just a 10/10 perfect album.

All of his albums are worth a listen and I'd recommend listening to them in order of release. My personal favorites of his are Hunky Dory, Station to Station, and Heathen.

Start with Blackstar. Then stop.

you realize that bowie was nothing more than a colorful character and stage presence and save your time

/thread

this honestly. he's released so many albums that listening to a greatest hits is a good place to start. then listen to his albums chronologically

compared to the rest of the classic bowie period? i'd call it something of a black sheep. even Station to Station foreshadowed stuff he would try on Low and Heroes