Dan Harmon purposefully injected Dostoyevsky's 'The Grand Inquisitor' into one of my favorite episodes...

Dan Harmon purposefully injected Dostoyevsky's 'The Grand Inquisitor' into one of my favorite episodes. Even the most uneducated person is familiar with The Grand Inquisitor, in which Dostoyevsky, through Ivan, ponders on the notion of free will within the context of the Christian religion. Dan Harmon DESTROYS this silly parable. Rick - in his usual, brilliant, rational way of going about things - tell us as it truly is: Things are, in fact, determined from the start. All is cause and effect. We are mere dominoes in a great chain, which began with nothing, without purpose, without meaning. This is where Morty's nihilism becomes the focal point of the episode -- and the remainder of the season. Dan Harmon, having studied under Gottlob Frege at Oxford University, and having written his dissertation with guidance from Francis Fukuyama, understands the futility of all of existences. You'll notice that Rick often has a bit of "drool" hanging from his lower lip. To the unrefined observer, this is something to make Rick appear more silly. What low IQ, knuckle-draggers fail to realize is that the "drool" is actually a representation of a passage found in Plato's Phaedrus, in which Aristophanes proves, with clarity and brevity, the absurdity of the universe and all things, from an interestingly scientific standpoint. Dan Harmon is a fucking genius. I've learn quite a bit from Rick and Morty. The stagnant mind only sees jokes and vulgar humor. Me? I see poetry, philosophy, and science.

antifa between a rick and morty piece. This is now a cringe thread.

Lmao I totally feel what you're saying but I swear you are one retarded ass grain of sand in this reality .... do us a favor and end it I'm sure evil morty would have you killed in an instant

yeah totally unrelated not like harmon has gone on huge nazi rants before

what you high iq retards fail to grasp is that nihilism is knowledge negating knowledge. if nothing has intrinsic value, then why would you waste your time knowing that?

if nothing has value then "knowing that nothing has value" is meaningless

>He believes in determinism
>He doesn't know about the uncertainty principal

Fuck off fag

i personally think that "uncertainty" is just a placeholder for unawareness.
our inability to process certain quantum properties of reality is just that, OUR inability.

it's not a technology limitation, the variables are inherently unknowable

Antifa are a bunch of fucking cunts that need to be putdown like ISIS.

You have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick and Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existencial catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. And yes by the way, I DO have a Rick and Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

This guy gets it

>inherently unknowable
knowledge is a human thing.
us not being able to know something doesn't reflect on the precise state of the objective reality.
we cannot postulate on what lies beyond the observable universe, yet something is obviously out there, be it more stars or nothing or even something else.

Yay ironic posts

>what is a tautology

The show would be leagues better if he wasn't slowly drinking the SJW kool-aid.

Don't get me wrong its actually not a bad idea to specifically hire women writers to get a womans perspective on comedy to better engage with your audience, but once you start adding diversity quotas you've lost your way

Sounds like OP is enjoying his freshman courses at Arizona State

Listen guys uncertainty is basically about not being able to know a particles absolute velocity and absolute location at the same "time"

although very similar, the first post is a question, and the second one is a statement

What is teleology

I was only referring to the second post you mongoloid

R:Did they make Minecraft for Autistic people?
M:Why....?
R:Because I think I'm starting to like it.

yet that doesn't mean it has no velocity or location, once again the uncertainty lies in our limitations, be they physical or mental.

teleology is an idiots way of not being able to prove a cause/effect relationship, it's handwaving and willful ignorance

oh, then that means you're retarded

>in other words, "NO U"

k

Listen heres the line of thought thats going to follow from this, "oh its about the perception from our brains" to "reality is perception" to "is reality real" to "if it is than science" to "our perception of time and space" to " relativity and quantum mechanics" to right back where we started

ok then, humor me for a moment ant explain tautology in reference to my post

Teleology is about purpose seeking mechanisms, unless you figure fate and all, which is kind of lame

Hes calling you redundant, and hes right, which was your point

because humans struggle to cope with "not knowing", we desire to know things that are impossible to know.

>see: willful ignorance and handwaving

>nothing has value, therefore a subset of nothing has value

I'm sorry the concept of 0 is hard for you

Having adequate information is adjacent to having more autonomy or more generally human beings are entropy defeating by nature. Basically the more you know.

I mean idk i thought the point was obvious, you can say cause and effect relationships, but how much are you willing to say that you have no decision making ability or all your actions are simply the result of some large causal chain of events. Correlation vs causality idk kind of a lame line of thought.

Why do people get autistic over cartoons?

I really dont get this meme

why do people get autistic over people who get autistic over cartoons?

so pretending like the effect is the purpose of the cause is any better? are you retarded? I'd hazard a guess that you actually haven't achieved anything in your life that required any planning at all

i know you are but what am i?

Its basically saying the show isnt intelligent, and how psuedointelligent the fan base is. I like the concepts in the show but the actual show could be better

i'm rubber and you're glue. whatever you say bounces of me and sticks to you

well.... you're stupid

Hi I'm 13 and I just started watching Rick and Morty and I can tell you for a fact it's my favorite show!!. Lik the one time Ricky said said there's probably like no good !!!! i was agreeing so much I'am smarter then you're average fidget spinner teen at middle school to even though I have one. I may be young but I'm smarter then every theist on earth basically the show is also really deep when they said like no one was born for a reason I was so blown away as they must have big balls to say that on tv so I told my friends on minecraft and they agree too. LOL once when my mom took me to McDonald's I asked for the Mulan dipping sauce and the dumb bitch didn't even get the reference XD One time in class i evan shouted "I'm PICKLE RIIIICK!" and Mrs.Janice told me to go outside i fucking hate that cunt school is for dumb ppl just like what Rick said, i m too smart for such imbicells. But yeah I love Rick and Morty and I'm actually smart enough to get it to.

what?
elaborate please, and do me a favor and move you greasy fingers more than a sentence worth.
i'm trying to understand you man

the ultimate goal of knowledge is to deconstruct itself through infinite regression.

> the effect is the purpose of the cause
Oh boy, listen if i knock something off a table i can pretty well assume its broke because of that, doesnt answer why i did it tho. But go ahead and try to argue for causality by arguing against causality

No one says its intelligent though. Even the creators. Maybe a few autistic people, but it is a wildly popular dumb show because it has good jokes and autistic people say anything and everything about every show. Soo.. it seems like one guy with an agenda who just constantly reposts but I haven't even seen anyone even really freak out about it because most people seem to have the opinion of "meh, I like it"

be one with the tao dawg

he thinks rick and morty is deep

everyone point and laugh at him

i never understood people who mock it as absurd because of pickle rick when pickle rick was a parody on the absurdity of tv shows and taking shit too seriously.
By mocking "pickle rick" for being immature and randum is basically just announcing to the world that you never really watched the show and just hate popular things

Further elaboration isn't what you require, so much as a more sober mother when you were in utero

see the problem here is that you're confusing cause with reason, and you're out of your depth

yeah i dont get it either, fuck it might be dan or justin roiland doing the shit themselves.

it is deep, you jus too stupid for understanding it

>in other words, "NO U"

k

Reason == purpose, purpose seeking, stop taking a piss man.

das rite. stupid people dun onderstand

checked

seeing as imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, I accept your concession

good job getting your point across retard

>Sup Forums is a forum for intelligent discussion

I found your problem you think any of this matters

I kinda think its just a gorilla marketing campaign. You know, just so long as people keep the hype, even negative hype will keep it going. I dunno. could be them fucking around themselves.
Either way, doesn't seem like an organic meme.

>i accept your concession
This guy

>rick
>antifa aligned
>he literally kills people left right and centre for almost any reason

go back to your trap/furry/log/dickrate threads user you'll be much more appreciated there

Not him, but wait a second. That doesn't sound like Materialism to me. Humans assign reason and purpose. As far as we can tell, nothing has any inherent reason or purpose. Things just react how they do on a quantum, then atomic, then molecular, then geologic, then cosmic scale. So. Kind of the whole chain of dominoes thing someone mentioned earlier.

yup whatever keeps the money coming right, fuck the fans or authentic content

u mad bro?

Reason = cause
Purpose = a human construct created to make people feel better about existing

These are not the same thing

I love Rick and Morty, and if you don't think there's die-hard "le intelligent" autist fans out there, you're naïve. I doubt it's a marketing thing by anyone. Autists gonna ...aut? Yo.

were not autists

I'm just imagining the lady at McDonalds being so unenthused about someone asking her for Mulan sauce when they haven't had it in 20-something years and she makes minimum wage and can't be bothered to deal with some irritating X year old.

reason and cause are the antennae of of knowledge, seeking sensation where there's none.
shit just happens and we just come along for the ride

I'm sure there is just as much as there are for sonic the hedgehod, the bing bang theory, the it crowd, mr robot, girls, and transparent. They are autistic. They will turn anything into something its not. So why focus on this group with this show. Its an arbitrary distinction.
Unless, you know, you want people talking and watching the show to see how autistic it is...

No, no, no. "Why rock go down?" is not the same is "What rock's reason to go down?" Rock didn't have a reason. Gravity pulled it. Gravity doesn't have a reason. It's the result of curved space caused by mass. Mass doesn't have a reason. It's just bosons. Bosons don't have a reason. They just are.

Nah. Non-conformists have been a Hing for forever. I personally think it's a misguided neurological evolutionary strategy. We're pack animals. "Lol. Fuck the pack." K. Enjoy survival and shit.

Thing*

cause is a human snapshot of an endless process
that just happens endlessly without a cause

meant for

>endless process

I guess there's no such thing as start

why don't you knock off the pseudodepth edgelord nonsense and go lobotomize yourself with a corkscrew

i love you user pls let me shower you with affection

Yeah and theres a whole line of thought about whether you can view organisms functionally as to what functions they fufill, or if organisms have defined purpose other than to just live, by extension it boils down to free will and whether it exists or not or whereby we obstensively have choice at all and if so what degree can we both have affect on our perception of and our interaction with the world around us. Which is kind of fufilling the same idea as fate, like yes there is a causual action that results in our actions and the more the system develops because of that is what brings us closer to fufilling the functional role of human beings. Affecting physical reality and being affected by reality is somewhat one in the same.

he didn't say it was unrelated
he said it was cringe
which it is

>god created earth 4000 years ago
then when did it all began retard?

Yeah but if YOU cause something to happen exactly what caused you to cause that to happen. What was the purpose

obvious straw man argument is hilarious and a fantastic illustration of your failure to comprehend

Prove anyone can actually cause anything independent of the rest of the universe. You can't. QED bitch

Interactions of neurons in your brain made you move/speak/whatever because THEY were the result of molecular interactions.

Its just turtles all the way down guys, trust me ive been there

Okay cool, but if you and the words you choose to speak are the result of synaptic wiring, i wonder if you could rewire them, and if you could would it really be you doing the wiring.

>obvious straw man argument is hilarious and a fantastic illustration of your failure to comprehend
didn't you learn from your mom that arguing like that gets your ass whooped.

come fite me bro I'm at your moms house right now taking a hot steamy shit posting on her mobile

>prove it
I can call you a dickhead, and i just did, checkmate

some argue that you were influenced by the rest of the universe you whiny crybaby

keep talking like a bitch ima smack you like one, not him btw haha

>I guess there's no such thing as start
guess now that you said it, there's obviously a start.
faggot do you even know wtf you talking about?

lmao chimping out much?

I liked this show until the fanboys popped up. At least I can finally enjoy Adventure Time and MLP in peace.

If there is a start, then there is no endless process, and you were wrong, and now you're mad

Q
E
D

b-but my mom is dead you sick bastard and also she's a man which makes you a faggot too

>being this dull

>not a response, just a fart in the wind

at least simon cowell has some wit to his useless criticism