/classical/

Furious Edition

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>General Folder #7. Too lazy to write up a description for this, but it has a little of everything
mega.nz/#F!pWR0zABY!xCwF1rEfXiyEy5HuhTDP0Q
>General Folder #8. The user who made this loves the yellow piss of DG on his face. Also there's some other stuff in here.
mega.nz/#F!DlRSjQaS!SzxR-CUyK4AYPknI1LYgdg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=43QwWJdH4o4
youtube.com/watch?v=CSfAA5UiR-8
youtube.com/watch?v=WixOhjeGCAE
youtube.com/watch?v=J0KX_Wr_kAo
youtube.com/watch?v=f9nyiBJKssk
youtube.com/watch?v=HXeA-57X8PM
youtube.com/watch?v=XkfjJYNRVR0
youtube.com/watch?v=SQXK-EJNvUk
youtube.com/watch?v=u9QLiefnoDE
youtube.com/watch?v=Zaqqxh-Jm8E
youtube.com/watch?v=-mVQxR9Ll9U&t=1021s
youtube.com/watch?v=YSxBUp4dFEU
youtube.com/watch?v=mH9LXg-Ajgg
youtube.com/watch?v=QG5nREXB3ag
youtube.com/watch?v=1tn3AiU0HcU
youtube.com/watch?v=K5RTRuby1GU
journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0037961
youtube.com/watch?v=vSh11ox79Qg
youtube.com/watch?v=KtrZvtgP2Pc
trade-schools.net/articles/trade-school-jobs.asp
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

youtube.com/watch?v=43QwWJdH4o4

Havergal Brian symphony No.1 in D minor ''Gothic''
youtube.com/watch?v=CSfAA5UiR-8

Stravinsky

youtube.com/watch?v=WixOhjeGCAE

Fucking hell

Don't forget

newfriend

Urghhhhh

Racism is why he's so underrated.

2 bourgeois4me

>new jazz on your classical radio
Is this an actual ad?

I prefer python suite

Perotin
youtube.com/watch?v=J0KX_Wr_kAo

Bach

youtube.com/watch?v=f9nyiBJKssk

Though I have heard Stravinsky, Schoenberg, Brahms and others before, it is only now that I have become curious about why their music is so different.

What I understand now is that while classical musicians such as Bach made music that was pleasant to the ears, Stravinsky and others made music to invoke specific feelings and even memories, focusing more on them than pleasantness or patterns.

But I want to learn more. Could someone point me somewhere to start?

I prefet viderunt omnes

I don't even see what those three should have in common

I prefer sederunt principes

That's a good one. Was just listening to that one (performed by the Hilliard Ensemble) too actually.

Why do so many tracks in old white people music have titles like "Sonata Part IV in C# major, Geschemt Symphony 59" or whatever. Easier to remember normal titles Rites of Spring or Ride of the Vaklyries desu.

>Stravinsky and others made music to invoke specific feelings and even memories, focusing more on them than pleasantness or patterns.
that's because they they lived in a post-romantic era
you should learn more about romanticism, wagnerianism, and pre-romantic musical world to understand how perception of classical music changed over the centuries

Dodecaphony, Atonality, and the fact that they are all different from classical composers like Bach, Mozart and Vivaldi

>Though I have heard Stravinsky, Schoenberg, Brahms and others before, it is only now that I have become curious about why their music is so different.
They were completely different eras and styles. You shouldn't expect them to have anything in common.

Because those names come from ballets and operas (which focus on the action on stage) and sonata forms are named differently.

Brahms is often not even modal, nevermind "atonal". If anything he was the champion of diatonicism in a world of Mahlers, Bruckners and Debussys

>There are currently approximately twenty intact tangent pianos in existence.

n-nani?!

because it's absolute music, that means the music is supposed to speak for itself without any non-musical references

nice numbers btw

Guerra-Peixe

youtube.com/watch?v=HXeA-57X8PM

Daily reminder that Mozart is permanently underrated.

daily reminder that he is also 200+ years old. Contemporary composers are underrated and we shouldn't constantly dig in the past, but listen to the stuff that concerns us

fuck off poly

go to bed mozart

Anybody wants to hear a faggot who composes songs about lick asses

Stop enjoying atonality.

Fuck off you mediocre bitch.

>Contemporary composers
Are meaningless because of a dead end which was reached by the Western culture almost a century ago: without the aristocracy in the broadest sense, the culture is irrelevant.

that happened because with religiosity the actual purpose for music died. Music that has no medium becomes pointless. Maybe we have a new chance in movies and especially in video games. It's no wonder that movie composers are the only contemporary composers that have mainstream success

Make me.

youtube.com/watch?v=XkfjJYNRVR0

>Maybe we have a new chance in movies and especially in video game
No you do not.
You've killed a god, you think you'll have a chance in some games, or moving pictures? You think these tiny pleasurable things will hide the monstrous bleeding wound?

>Maybe we have a new chance in movies and especially in video games.
Except they're all shit composers.

I'm new to /classical/. Show me more shit like this:
youtube.com/watch?v=SQXK-EJNvUk

it's not about religion, it's about the fact that music needs a vessel. In pop music it's 'muh love'. In past centuries it was God. Now it's something else

that's just jpop-influenced Rachmaninoff worship for a finger-DDR game
youtube.com/watch?v=u9QLiefnoDE

sometimes there will be better composers. Look at the hype the music of Zelda elicited, music in video games has a lot of attention, so it will be only a matter of time until talented composers will work in that field.
Besides, in movies there have been a lot of good composers like Shore, Williams (underrated), Hermann, Rota

There's nothing more laughable than le wrong generationists but when it comes to classical they are even more ridiculous. They construct the most demented pet theories to justify their youtube-tier opinions.

who's a 'le wrong generationist' here?

ok, then got more jpop-influenced "classical" music? I despise jpop and pop in general but the jpop-influenced version is somewhat more lively.
I'll listen to this one tomorrow cause I'm felling sleepy and I know I won't stand 30 minutes. I'm 7 minutes into and already liking it.
Based on my short Youtube trips so far I know that I like Prokofiev, Rautavaara, Henry Cowell and toccatas.

Mozart

youtube.com/watch?v=Zaqqxh-Jm8E

The thing is though that movie and video game soundtracks don't truly strive for great music because it's secondary to the movie. The composers aren't composing for themselves or for an audience that will be intently listening.

Anybody know the Mozart variations by Reger?

youtube.com/watch?v=-mVQxR9Ll9U&t=1021s

I think most of the early cinema composers (Churchill etc., Disney composers) were heavily influenced by this harmonic style

I didn't say I was in a wrong generation, quite the contrary. You missed the point completely and yet wrote your bitter nonsense.

Fuck off, Poly. Go circlejerk to Schnittke.

this is true to some extent, but there are exceptions: Sergio Leone/Morricone are an exampe for movies. Ocarina of Time is an example for video games, were the music is actually an integrative part of the game. I don't want to say anything about the quality, but there is a chance to expand the collaboration between music and film/game artists

or think about Howard Shore's Lord of the Rings score, which uses the Leitmotif technique of Wagner's partituras.

Morricone (even though a bit overrated) already used Opera-like scores in the 60s, so I think film music being just a filler that nobody really notices is a thing of our generation (Hans Zimmer, rot in hell)

youtube.com/watch?v=YSxBUp4dFEU

Video games definitely have some of the highest potential ceilings for art, but I think it's pretty unrealistic for it to ever be fully achieved considering the corporate environment in which it exists.

there's a high probability that you're right. The problem is the time in which video games emerged. It is capitalism ridden and has no space for the important message of one great artist or a few great artists who work together. A video game or a movie are created by thousands of minds, and in the end it doesn't have a message in the humanistic sense. On the other hand, a symphony by Beethoven was written by only one mind

>pleb
Grosse fuge
>patrician
The final to the 31st sonata.

>Classical composers
>Names two baroque composers
I see what you're getting at, a simplistic version of music history is that the late baroque period established tonality, the classical era perfected it, the romantic era started breaking the rules, Wagner stretched tonality to its limit, then it all went in a weird direction. Brahms is actually quite conservative for his time, if you want to get a good survey of how music stylistically evolved move from Mozart and Haydn (classical) to Beethoven (late classical/early romantic) to Chopin, Schumann, Mendelssohn, Brahms and other contemporaries (romantic) to Wagner, Mahler, Bruckner, Strauss and other contemporaries (late romantic) to Debussy and Berlioz (impressionist), to Stravinsky, Ives,
and Schoenberg (primitivist, modernist, expressionist, and just generally crunchy early 20th century music), to Stravinsky, Messiaen, and maybe some Reich, although I guess it depends on how much appetite for postmodernism you have (John Cage playing cacti is fun and all but just because you make pedantic points about what makes music doesn't mean the music is worth listening to).

what about the Hammerklavier fugue?

I think Williams deserves the shit he gets for plagiarizing, but don't think you can argue he doesn't have talent.

If I didn't know the music, I'd guess from 4:00 into the video that Karel Husa was the composer, and there are few twentieth century composers whose brass parts I like as much as Husa's.

Regardless, every child that has listened to the star wars sound track has been exposed to neoromanticism. I feel like a large part of why I enjoy post-1850 classical music as an adult is because I enjoyed William's composition so much growing up.

>I can't enjoy music without being told how to feel about it first!!
The absolute state of /classical/

I actually don't really get that. I logically understand why it exists, of course but as an artist I don't. There's so much the arts can gain from being even slightly linked together, you can see this in the poetic lyrics in some cantatas for example. No need to go full Wagner, just a tinge of the visual and imaginative realms will do

Not me, mate. I tend to circlejerk to Bach mostly these days

Interesting how the composers get more jewish while the music becomes less musical.

di Lassus

youtube.com/watch?v=mH9LXg-Ajgg

Reminder that small games made by only one or a few persons exist. The future of music will lie in 2D Indie Adventure-RPGs.

Chopin

youtube.com/watch?v=QG5nREXB3ag

youtube.com/watch?v=1tn3AiU0HcU

I cri
Why can't we have tenors this perfect anymore

oy vey, erase this vile message of hate!

He was a good tenor.
youtube.com/watch?v=K5RTRuby1GU

brainlet alert, I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you're not germanic

Hey /classical/, how do i become a polyphonic god?

>perfect pitch is a symptom of autism
No wonder they're so obnoxious in video comments.

journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0037961

how is this not dicking around?
youtube.com/watch?v=vSh11ox79Qg

Romberg
youtube.com/watch?v=KtrZvtgP2Pc

Work your way through Gradus ad parnassum as carefully and methodically as possible. Study scores of the masters, practice for 20 years.

At least 10 hours a day, deeply involved in the scene. Done.

Where do I start if I want to get into composition? I've been training my ear and I think I have my intervals down. I'm just not sure what the next step in my master plan is though.

trade-schools.net/articles/trade-school-jobs.asp

fuck you, I already have a job. I'm trying to make my life less tedious here, not more

go to university / college. Major in composition.

I already finished school

Did you major in composition though?

no, of course not. I don't squander money like that

impressive intellect

So you intend to become a composer yet you went to school to get a major that has nothing to do with the job you want? You call that not squandering money?

I intended to become a hobbyist boyo

Read the complete idiot's guide to music theory
Download lilypond and start writing

Anyone listen to new (2010s) classical music here?

Being a composer isn't a hobby. It's not something you do on the side. You devote all of yourself to it or none of yourself.

I know theory and I have Ableton. I just want some exercises. Should I just grind first species counterpoint?

>Poly butthurt about wasting his education

also, pic related

he never said he wanted to be a composer

You don't know much about classical music

Yeah, it's not like most composers take teaching jobs because composing alone is only a financially viable option if you're working in Hollywood with good connections or anything.

ur mom lol

See

I'll take who is Alexander Borodin for $600, Alex.