I'm finally discovering the glory that is prog rock. what bands are some MUSTS for someone getting into the genre?

I'm finally discovering the glory that is prog rock. what bands are some MUSTS for someone getting into the genre?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kFIK8Yxet1s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Listen to punk you nerd virgin fascist

Genesis
Yes
King Crimson
UK
Premiata Forneria Marconi
Magma
Emerson Lake & Palmer

The Mars Volta
Porcupine Tree

thank you

Rush

the rest of their discography. this was their next album:

youtube.com/watch?v=kFIK8Yxet1s

Camel
Gong
Robert Wyatt
Van der Graaf Generator
Caravan
Gentle Giant
Renaissance
Aphrodite's Child

The Moody Blues

>I'm finally turning 13, therefore I like prog.

You'll cringe back at your younger self in a few years, fucking nerd.

fuck off Christgau

Partly true, that's why prog failed when it became too deep4u.

Good prog is canterbury scene and krautrock. Stay away from 70's mainstream arena rock prog like rush and ELP

New Trolls
Il Balleto di Bronzo
Saga
Focus
Iconoclasta

the list on progarchives is not bad, honestly. a bit like the Sup Forums essentials chart

Spoken like a true nu-male

what the fuck are you talking about. who likes prog when they're 13

That's rich coming from some STEM cuck nerd who likes Rush

thank you everybody for your suggestions. sorry im being quiet, im adding as fast as i can

Playlist? What are you doing?

don't rush it

also, since nobody has mentioned Jethro Tull yet, add some of their earlier albums too. try lesser known bands like Yezda Urfa and England

if you want new, weird avant-garde stuff, search for Jono El Grande, Panzerpappa and Orthotonics

downloading eveything but also putting it into a playlist for when im done

I meant - do you plan on listening to playlists of these albums or the actual albums?

the albums, im not an animal

I got into Prog at 17 and at 26 I still listen to Gentle Giant from time to time.

Thank you.

AND THE MOON AND THE SKY THEY WERE MATIIIIIIING
AND THE ANGELS OF HELL THEY WERE WAITIIIIING

SAAAD IS THE LAUGH OF THE CLOWN
NOW THE OLD MOON IS DOWN

done! thank you everybody for your suggestions. it's gonna be a good month

>good month
How many albums do you plan on listening in a day? Good luck and don't stop with these bands. I'd also recommend Giant on the Box, Live in Japan 1995, Eyes Wide Open and Deja Vrooom live DVDs.

Bump

playing the fool
l
a
y
i
n
g

t
h
e

f
o
o
l

Giant on the Box contains all of their live DVDs already. Any other prog live DVD recommendations?

Univers Zero, Magma, Henry Cow, Art Zoyd, Art Bears, Aksak Maboul, Etron Fou Leloublan, Soft Machin.

This chart. It's still not perfect, but close to it.

without a key this chart is pretty shit. I've listened to a lot of the albums on it but the one's I'm interested in don't have titles

Can
Jethro Tull
Captain Beefheart and Zappa

>Low
>Prog Rock

The thing is that topsters2 (the site I used to make this chart), stopped working a few weeks ago, and that's where I had all the album names. Sure, I could type them all out, but it would be such a hassle...

Yeah, I know. That's the one I'm least convinced about, but I added it for some reasons. I highly doubt it will be on the next edition of the chart.

>Godspeed You! Black Emperor

>He thinks all Rush is Moving Pictures
Cygnus X1 is just as 2dep4u as any krautrock

If you're only going to put one Rush album on that, I'd go for Farewell to Kings or Hemispheres instead of 2112 desu, but all three should be essential listening

>all three should be essential listening
no

I know...

Kings and Hemispheres need to be listened to back to back, because Rush split a sidelong prog epic onto two albums

>start listening to prog
>girls stop talking to me
>become more anti-social

does this always happen?

you realized good music is more important than whiny flesh holes

>no mike oldfield

mike oldfield is a god

>does this always happen?
Don't talk about music with girls to any deeper extent and it won't.

Genesis - Selling England by the Pound
Yes - Close to the Edge
King Crimson - Larks Tongues in Aspic
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Don't know if they are objectively good or bad records, but they are pretty typical progressive rock. If you like those albums, dig in deeper. Gentle Giant is pretty cool and eccentric,and listen to Caravan, 70's Rush and Renaissance and Camel too.

I'm sure someone is going to recommend some Italian or Finnish etc. prog rock because obscure stuff is "better" than Genesis or KC. Well, they are not. The genre is what it is, sometimes great, but most of the time not that great

>implying those Italian (PFT) and Finish (Pekka) records are obscure
fucking lol
I'm not surprised anyways based on your selection of essential albums.
Sure, Genesis and KC are some of the bests from the genre, but not Rush, Renaissance, nor Camel. Those two I mentioned above are better than any of those.

>Avant-Math God of Sup Forums
>Only encourages newcomers listen to a handful of bands

I'm doing the opposite actually.

How?
>Sure, Genesis and KC are some of the bests from the genre
>Those two I mentioned above are better than any of those
With this?

Avant-Math, why do you feel Rush is not a prog rock essential?

He's racist against leafs

I meant these two
>implying those Italian (PFT) and Finish (Pekka) records are obscure
Meanwhile, the guy is telling you not to bother with "obscure" bands. What an idiot.

They are, but their relevance is greatly overestimated. See >all three [Rush albums] should be essential listening

The only good leaf is a dead leaf.

That does explain, though I do feel you tend to underrate Rush - it's probably one of the few bands that are inspired by prog bands whose sound doesn't become stuck in trying to mimick [insert members favorite prog band here], and that by itself is impressive.

That said, not listening to "obscure" bands is kinda idiotic, but given this guy is just starting I wouldn't give him more than the obvious for a few scenes - Italy's scene would probably get a shoutout in AreA, PFT and maybe Le Orme, for example, but not much more than that; especially considering people don't have an incredible amount of free time to actively listen to music (everyone can pretty much use music to drown out noise, but to actively focus on it, not many people have the proper time for that).

I'm not underrating Rush. One album by them is essential, but more than that is not. At the same time, dismissing the bands I mentioned (the Finish and Italian ones), while considering Rush and Camel and etc essential is wrong.

>but not much more than that
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, Museo Rosenbach, Picchio dal Pozzo, Quella Vecchia Locanda, Il Balletto di Bronzo, Locanda delle Fate, Biglietto per l'Inferno, Arti & Mestieri, Semiramis, Yugen, Universal Totem Orchestra, and probably many more I still haven't listened to are very well respected Italian progressive rock bands.

I thought you didn't think krautrock is prog

I don't, but I went for it anyways because reasons.

stay away from anything with organs

This is the only prog guide you'll ever need.

>punk
Objectively terrible genre

Haven't seen these in a while. Got the other ones?

I don't have any others saved. The only variant I remember was an electronic one that didn't interest me much because I don't listen to much electronic. What other ones were there?

There were some pretty good Metal ones. A couple for Jazz too I think.

Mars Volta if you are into heavier stuff

Anything Dave Stewart touches is gold.
Egg
Hatfield And The North
Khan
National Health
Bruford

You should also try jazz fusion as well.
Not as autistic as prog but still fun.

>17 filtered posts

what is going on in this thread

why are you using filters and which ones are they?

I agree with this list. Add Soft Machine and Caravan too

Very good Jass Fusion record if you love prog

I have tripcodes, brap posters, and r eddit filtered

You could just disable your filters.
Why though?

dude this sounds like mariokart

I love Mario Kart

Pic related is also god-tier.
Has a song about a turtle.

Italian prog a best. Try these

Per un Amico and Storia di un Minuto by Premiata Forneria Marconi

Darwin! and Io Sono Nato Livero by Banco del Mutuo

Melos by Cervello

Celeste s/t

and Dedicato a Frazz by Semiramis (Everyone seems to love this one while I think it's just good)

ORGAN PROG IS THE BEST PROG YOU MOTHERFUCKER

albums with one good song + filler

Real niggas just listen to the first side

Tarkus as a song is so good that it makes up for the rest of the album