I don't really like jazz that much. Does that make me a pleb?

I don't really like jazz that much. Does that make me a pleb?

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/reviews,ss.rd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Jazz isn't art so don't worry about it. It's like saying you don't like metal.

if it's all jazz in general jazz, if it's an specific sub genre of jazz, then no

Jazz it does

Younprobably just don't know how to actually listen.

this, most people on Sup Forums just treat music as background noise while they shitpost

metal is the new classical though

its ok jazz attracts the most pretentious people out of all genres

Jazz and Classical Music are too one dimensional to be the greatest piece of music.

no
what music you like has nothing to do with being patrician/pleb, the attitude towards music is what makes one patrician/pleb

y

spotted the pleb

Jazz is popular music.
Popular music can't be per natura a patrician genre.

You're not even trying at this point.

Classical is patrician, is not popular music, duh

I agree. I have listened to 10+ landmark albums, but then turned on Andrew Hill and was bamboozled. Where to look, what to pay attention for, what is magic of jazz? I listen to avant-garde non-jazz stuff, opera and usually don't have a problem of "getting into", but jazz is the last bastion I am struggling comprehending. No kidding, really asking for an advice.

Playing an instrument and therefore having an understanding of music theory helps.

Playing guitar and piano for 4 years both. Striving to take sax classes next year. I just don't know where to look into.

Read reviews!
rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/reviews,ss.rd

>Playing guitar and piano for 4 years both. Striving to take sax classes next year. I just don't know where to look into.
How do you not understand music theory behind jazz while playing two of the most commonly used instruments in the genre?

Just understanding the pure theory isn't always that helpful for listening to jazz. A lot of the best jazz goes way beyond functional harmony, and listening to the interplay of the musicians is the most important thing

shit happens. And I am doubtful it would help a lot and be the ultimate factor in ability to genuinely appreciate jazz. You know, I want to listen to jazz as an inexperienced person being free of rock foundation and previous experience.

Thanks. There's a lot of stuff in his 4.5's that I haven't heard of. What do you recommend?

Idk. There's a lot that I haven't heard but anything with Chris Potter or David Binney is great.

>plays a 12 bar blues with bill evans

omg so revolutionary!!!!

But the only 12 bar blues's on that album are Freddie Freeloader (which Bill Evans doesn't play on) and All Blues

let his ego play, will ya.

Jazzthreadguy and his drones are the worst

kys yourself

at least "not liking" jazz implies you have some opinion on the music. if you've listened to something and know why you dislike it, you're still engaging with the music.

but I would advise you look more into the genre. jazz is too broad a term, there are many forms of music within jazz (some of which you may already enjoy). it's important to understand that these musicians are improvisers. that is what I think sets it apart as a listening experience

based