Remember when rappers would diss other rappers by saying they can't rhyme?

Remember when rappers would diss other rappers by saying they can't rhyme?

Remember when the skill or a rapper was defined by how poetic or creative they can get with rhymes and idioms?

Yeah, well know they don't even try to rhyme anymore.

They are closer to EDM vocalists than rappers these days.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Cki8qOBfXso
youtube.com/watch?v=fQc4A-XBzBY
youtube.com/watch?v=MXGORPXI6QQ
youtube.com/watch?v=u6VTj7LhCtE
youtube.com/watch?v=SpXw0qiy3Wo
youtube.com/watch?v=_qkP8SvHvaU
youtube.com/watch?v=WpVzOfDlo2c&t=313s
youtube.com/watch?v=L1Zqol7ARCk&t=42s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

are u gonna complain that no one breakdances anymore next?

ahri is op

super fast and a dense rap sounds retarded. that's pretty much the endgame of what you're talking about. those guys are the most "skilled" but the music they make isn't enjoyable. in the end it's just a vocal style meant to convey something emotionally. it's not a contest.

That's worth complaining about.

Krumping is gay.

>it's not a contest.

Hip hop has always been a contest.

Remember when you had to be or at least pretend to be a 5 percenter in order to be a successful rapper?

Remember when rap lyrics were simple and almost never had a message?

Remember when white rappers weren't a thing?

Remember when rap was banned at some venues for being "too violent"?

Remember when producers were almost always unknown to the public?

Remember when you could only collaborate with other rappers if they were in the same region as you or you would risk backlash?

Remember when rap was considered to be a fad that would die out in a decade and not a legitimate art form?

Remember when you had to be signed to a label in order for your music to be released (i don't mean having success, i mean just getting it released)?

Remember when beats were simplistic and boring?

Remember when innovation and experimentation only happened in the underground and not in the mainstream?

Remember when getting blackballed meant that no one outside of your region would ever hear your music again?

Remember when you had to conform to a region based stereotype in order to be successful?

Remember when regions mattered?

Be happy that we're currently experiencing a second golden age of hip hop.

>Be happy that we're currently experiencing a second golden age of hip hop.
isn't the correct term silver age

Rap music was still shit back then

This is retarded.

Stop pretending to be OP.

>Remember when beats were simplistic and boring?
No.

Remember when innovation and experimentation only happened in the underground and not in the mainstream?
This is still true.

Remember when regions mattered?
If by Regions you mean you had to be from NY.

>Remember when beats were simplistic and boring?
Because dum SKRRRRRRRRT tch SKRRRRRRRRT SKRRRRRRRRT is so complex and interesting.

Rap get's better and worse at the same time

it's good for different reasons these days

>I went to a car show in St. Louis and they were telling me, “Yeah, that song is huge out here.”
>But I didn’t really believe ‘em.
>And then the deejay put it on and everybody went crazy, hands in the air.
>Like, at that moment that was the jam.
>And I’m like, “They don’t even get that this was like a parody.”
>Nobody got it, so I watched people put they hands in the air and scream “murder, murder, murder, kill, kill, kill” and all that.

youtube.com/watch?v=Cki8qOBfXso

what do you think happened?

at least it's better than the shit schoolly d and early run dmc rapped over

*ahem*

Schooly D was cool.

PSK is a good song.

Man I love Ace so much. Great guy.

Where did you quote this from?

from Masta Ace

It kind of obvious it's a parody.

How is this beat so complex and interesting
youtube.com/watch?v=fQc4A-XBzBY

But this is simplistic and boring?
youtube.com/watch?v=MXGORPXI6QQ

Sorry I had to mute future at 5 seconds into the weird mumbling.

So I can't answer that question.

Nobody cares, grandpa.

Oh my fucking god you fucking oldheads piss me off so fucking much. You old ass niggas are the reason hip hop can't fucking evolve. You worship boom bap and every fucking 80s and 90s artist as if they were the second coming of christ, but you refuse to listen to any modern hip hop that doesn't fit your gay ass backpacker requirements. Stop claiming to be fans of hip hop. Because you're not.

We are those.

Imagine if you started making a kind of music that sounds completely different to Jazz.

Called it Jazz, marketed it as Jazz but it sounded like pop and nothing like Jazz.

That would bother Jazz fans.

There are already so many sub genres of hip hop, G funk, turntablism, Jazz hop..

Mumble rap is the death of a genre and I am hoping it will go down in history as terrible music like the back street boys.

backstreet boys were good. jfc end your life

you realize hip hop had shit like this right?
youtube.com/watch?v=u6VTj7LhCtE

I wasn't born in the early 70's, so no.

exactly. when did it become cool to rhyme a word with the same word? no kanye no matter how many times you do it, it still isnt considered actual rhyming, its just so lazy.

>you're a backpacker if you don't like shitty mumble rap
God, teenagers are so fucking stupid. I'm glad I'm not a teenager anymore. You will be too, once you're 20 or so. Hopefully.

Who is this semen demon?

sloppy rappers always did that
and if Kanye is actually your example of a modern rapper, maybe you're just not that into hip hop

well I mean he is still a relevant rapper

This.

I consider kanyes new stuff in the same category as Taylor Swift and all that kinda stuff.

Oh look, it's another thread where user shits on rap because he's too lazy to listen to anything that isn't on his local pop station.

>all mumble rap is shit and all mumble rap fans are children
1. Half the shit that you fuck niggas call mumble rap is just trap music and you can understand the words clearly.

2. You're not supposed to listen to the actual fucking words. The only reason there are vocals in trap and mumble rap is to complement the production and make it feel like a song instead of just a beat, thus making it commercially viable. This is what hip hop is at its core.

Now go tell me that Rapper's Delight had some underlying social message and that the food verse was actually some intricate metaphor deconstructing the black human condition.

>well I mean he is still a relevant rapper
no he isn't

we have battle rap leagues for that now

>2. You're not supposed to listen to the actual fucking words. The only reason there are vocals in trap and mumble rap is to complement the production and make it feel like a song instead of just a beat, thus making it commercially viable. This is what hip hop is at its core.
Kill yourself, dumb child.

ok so denying it somehow makes it a true statement? Ok real smart of you user I guess I missed it when Kanye and his music just went off the map one day...

>being this willfully retarded

But celebrity magazines told me [shitty rapper] "runs the game" now!

>2. You're not supposed to listen to the actual fucking words. The only reason there are vocals in trap and mumble rap is to complement the production and make it feel like a song instead of just a beat, thus making it commercially viable. This is what hip hop is at its core.

That is so so so wrong.

>denying facts
Explain to me how this isn't a Metro Boomin song and 21 and Future aren't only there to make it sell.
youtube.com/watch?v=SpXw0qiy3Wo

Also explain the lyrical depth that Dre and Snoop bring to the table that makes it so much better and different than hip hop today.
youtube.com/watch?v=_qkP8SvHvaU

>explain the lyrical depth that Dre and Snoop bring to the table
You see, you can hear what they say, and they don't rhyme a word with itself.

>Be happy that we're currently experiencing a second golden age of hip hop.
kek, rapfags are delusional

hes not relevant anymore. idk what you don't understand

don't bother. replying to these idiots. the whole mumble rap thing is only said by idiots who like to pretend rap never had club bangers in any era

They actually rhyme and do not mumble.

Their rhymes were not as complex or poetic as the rappers that came before them though, their songs were more about the beat and shock value lyrics.

So in a way they paved the way for mumble rappers to make such crap music.

No. You did not just defend their lyricism. You did not just defend DR. DRE AND SNOOP DOGG'S FUCKING LYRICISM. And you claim that you aren't a backpacker.

>You can hear what they say
It still doesn't make up for the fact that they're talking about meaningless shit and they're only rapping because it sounds good over the smooth beat.
And you're in denial if you claim you can't understand what 21 is saying.

>They don't rhyme a word with itself
Explain this then

>Ready to make an entrance, so back on up
>(‘Cause you know we're about to rip shit up)

>You never know, she could be earnin' her man
>And learnin' her man, and at the same time burnin' her man

>And I'ma continue to put the rap down, put the mack down
>And if you bitches talk shit I'll have to put the smack down

Are you fucking deaf?

Wrong.

I know there were club bangers...

Infact club bangers helped the genre evolve...

This doesn't excuse mumble rap in anyway.

Listen to these albums and stfu.
youtube.com/watch?v=WpVzOfDlo2c&t=313s

youtube.com/watch?v=L1Zqol7ARCk&t=42s

>their songs were more about the beat and shock value lyrics
>rap today isn't allowed to rely on the beat
You motherfuckers will make up any excuse to say that your hip hop is superior even if it contradicts what you claim hip hop should be.

Only one example of there is just rhyming a word with itself.

>rap today isn't allowed to rely on the beat

Nobody ever said that.
It's a strawman argument... Hip hop has always been about the MC and the DJ.

Dr. Dre doesn't even have any lyricism, shit's ghostwritten. And still ten times better than some retard whose lyrics are less legible than black metal.

>you only like mumble rap because you haven't listened to my /r/hiphopheads-approved backpacker core, which is representative of the entire rap scene in the 90s
I've listened to both of those albums. I loved The Low End Theory, but I didn't like Things Fall Apart a lot, although it was still pretty good. But to imply that ATCQ and The Roots are the epitome of hip hop and representative of hip hop in the 90s is such a backpacker thing to do.

Let me guess, you're gonna say that rhyming the word before the last word isn't rhyming the same word, so that invalidates my claim that the last two examples are rhyming the same word. But you criticized 21 and Future for doing the same fucking thing.

How is that a strawman when you stupid fucks always criticize modern hip hop for relying on the beat? I can't tell you how many times I've been in the comments section of a trap music video and people say shit that can be summed up to "lol the beat's good, but the rapper isn't making me think so the song sucks" and then they go to shit like Gin and Juice and say shit like "lol this is when hip hop was good"

Compare
>Well, I'm peepin' and I'm creepin' and I'm creepin'
>But I damn near got caught ‘cause my beeper kept beepin'

to
>I know the devil is real, I know the devil is real
>I take a dose of them pills and I get real low in the field

I'm not defending Future's lyricism, but it's better than the stupid and obvious shit Dre chose to rap

He is more if a dj and producer that decided to do some cadh grab raps than a dedicated rapper imo.

I sometimes thibk he doesn't even like his own music.

Yeah nah there was crap music in the 90's too such as will smith and mc hammer.

Nobodies claiming it isn't.

Mumble rap is like the will smith cd of 2017.

>How is that a strawman when you stupid fucks always criticize modern hip hop for relying on the beat?

Because Sup Forums isn't just one person.

>edm vocalists
pleb detected, edm is an umbrella term for a variety of genres with numerous vocal styles

But you're implying that it was virtually nonexistant, whereas you say that almost all of hip hop today is trash. The truth is, we're gonna look back on albums like DS2 and Culture the same way we look at The Chronic and Doggystyle today: great albums where the main appeal is the production. And while there were wack artists like MC Hammer, Will Smith, Vanilla Ice, etc., those are only the ones that we remember. History for the most part has forgotten about the likes of Kwame and Positive K, and it will only happen again. We will forget about the King Yellas and Slim Jesuses of this generation, and only remember the popular bad artists like Iggy Azalea and Macklemore. Just like the 90s are remembered as the era of 2Pac and Biggie, we'll remember the 10s as the era of Kendrick and Drake.

I never inplied it was virtually non existant.