Going to see Mount Eerie in chicago on 9/5- what should I expect?

going to see Mount Eerie in chicago on 9/5- what should I expect?

A shell of a man exploiting the greatest tragedy of his lifetime.

A guy playing songs about his dead wife in front of a crowd; expect no jokes or jests and expect him to look down or have his eyes closed a lot
I've heard he's cried at a couple gigs too
Worst meme of 2017

Dismissing a harsh reality as a meme only leads to ignorance.

shit... i was hoping that he might have a band or something but you're probably right. it's going to be a heavy show

>I've heard he's cried at a couple gigs too
LMAO

i wouldnt say "exploiting" it- he's just writing about what he knows like he's always done. It's all geniune, yknow. I guess its part of his grieving process

charging money so people can listen to your "grieving process" seems a bit iffy to me when the quality of the product your selling is so much worse than whats typically expected from you. Its barely an album.

>can't handle that someone grieves in a different way than you do/would
you are quite dense, kiddo

post that destroyed his career

Hey I'll be there too. Expect to be really fucking sad.

he's just a musician playing songs to people who enjoy him. I doubt that he's touring all the way to chicago just to make a few bucks, he had to have actually wanted to play to people to book a tour

>making so many assumptions on why I feel he's exploiting
you are quite dense, kiddo

BBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP snnnnniiiiiiffffffffffff...oh yes my dear....sssnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiiffffffff....quite pungent indeed...is that....dare I say....sssssssnniff...eggs I smell?......sniff sniff....hmmm...yes...quite so my darling....sniff....quite pungent eggs yes very much so .....ssssssssssssssnnnnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiffffff....ah yes...and also....a hint of....sniff....cheese.....quite wet my dear....sniff...but of yes...this will do nicely....sniff.....please my dear....another if you please....nice a big now.... BBBBBBRRRRRRRAAAAAAAPPPPPPPFFFFFFFFLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPFFFFFF Oh yes...very good!....very sloppy and wet my dear....hmmmmm...is that a drop of nugget I see on the rim?...hmmmm.....let me.....let me just have a little taste before the sniff my darling.......hmmmmm....hmm..yes....that is a delicate bit of chocolate my dear....ah yes....let me guess...curry for dinner?....oh quite right I am....aren't I?....ok....time for sniff.....sssssnnnnnnniiiiiiiiffffffff.....hmmm...hhhmmmmm I see...yes....yes indeed as well curry......hmmm....that fragrance is quite noticeable....yes.....onion and garlic chutney I take it my dear?.....hmmmmm....yes quite..... BBBBBBRRRRRRRRPPPPPPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTT Oh I was not expecting that…that little gust my dear….you caught me off guard…yes…so gentle it was though…hmmmm…let me taste this little one…just one small sniff…..sniff…ah….ssssssnnnnnniiiiiffffffffffff…and yet…so strong…yes…the odor….sniff sniff…hmmm….is that….sniff….hmmm….I can almost taste it my dear…..yes….just…sniff….a little whiff more if you please…..ssssssnnnnnniiiiiffffffffff…ah yes I have it now….yes quite….hhhhmmmm…delectable my dear…..quite exquisite yes…..I dare say…sniff….the most pungent one yet my

I have no issue with the tour. I have issue with the album costing any money at all considering the quality of it.

He's an underground musician with a motherless little girl to take care of. He made a great record and I have no problem with paying to see him perform it.

nice!! i'm expecting tears honestly

Phil Elverum is an indie darling. Calling him underground is delusional.

i bet most of the money is going towards medical bills anyways

He had a very successful gofundme that covered this prior to her death.

What a greedy heartless bastard

Call him what you want. He's still not rich off his music.

he will play the new album and two new songs
at least that's what he did when I saw in a few months ago

ok thread objective over close this shitheap

I have no issue with the gofundme or with touring. I have issue with the album itself having a price tag considering how shit it is.

The first track on the album covers every theme he bothers going through. After that its just mindless regurgitation in front of mundane strumming. Its literally "my wife is dead": the album.

I have no issue with someone using grief to create. It can be great. Carrie and Lowell or Skeleton Tree are two examples of this working.

But if you create for the sake of grieving, and then the outcome is far below your typical level of quality, perhaps don't charge fans for it.

>assumptions
can you even follow your own posts?

>A shell of a man exploiting the greatest tragedy of his lifetime.
>exploiting

so you have an opinion on a subjective matter. get over yourself, faggot.

>But if you create for the sake of grieving, and then the outcome is far below your typical level of quality, perhaps don't charge fans for it.
dumbest thing I have read all month

Do you not find it odd that he released this album so quickly? He didn't bother to let the work breath some and view it maybe 6 months, or a year after her death to really make sure its something worth keeping? Its a bit weird for an artist to rush work out the door like this if it is actually about grief and not hitting the iron while its still hot.

yeah, it's called grieving. you seem to have such a hard time to understand that the grieving process is not so process pinned to a formula. you disagree with his process of grieving which is fine but yet you can't get over yourself. you are trying to apply your own feelings on others as a universal model.

>grieving involves selling CDs
hmmm

thanks for confirming everything I have just said

Why was she so thicc, bros? Muh dick

also, you're acting like producing and releasing an album is something you can do without a price tag. sure, if he just released it on Bandcamp and just did not tour at all then yeah, but that's not the case.

Exempt the fact this album is so close to Geniervre's death is what makes it an interesting project? At least for me.
>Carrie and Lowell or Skeleton Tree are two examples of this working.
See i like those album too but what a crow looked at me has going for it is how vivid and honest it is. And that's because the songs are basically first drafts.

kys

>wife is dying of cancer and have a child who is at the most expensive stage of development
>fuck, Im only an indie record label owner and medium-level indie musician
>o-okay I guess I'll have to ask for help on the internet so my family doesn't starve and so my wife can at least die peacefully
>she dies
>money from internet is gone, I'm back to being a poor motherfucker with an expensive fucking kid and half the income I usually get
>cope in the only way that I've ever been able to, since I was a dipshit teenager messing around with wire recorders in the back of the record store I worked at
>through song
>compose album where I pour my literal heart and soul into to try and eke out some closure
>take care of my motherless daughter, can barely afford to feed us both since I have no work that's selling
>go through lean months while working on this album
>I think she'd like it
>release album, same price as my normal stuff because I'm not trying to exploit anything, i just really need the money so my daughter doesn't starve
>money from album helps but doesn't exactly save us, have to go on a tour to support myself
>play songs that are about the woman who I married and had a child with and loved with every fiber of my being who died in my arms to a bunch of strangers every night
>have to close my eyes when doing it because I'll fucking cry if I don't
>finally, I can provide for my daughter

>months later, virgins on an anime imageboard will say I'm exploiting my wife's death for money
>mfw

Holy shit dude, get over yourself. He is a musician who has written about death a lot over his career, and once the closest person to him dies he feels like his previous work on it doesn't make sense. He feels like there isn't anything to learn from it, so he grieves by writing music about it because he is a musician.

checked.
Also I'm sad now.

A pretty heart-wrenching experience. Really intimate, people in the audience cried too. Somebody laughed at the "a month later our therapist died" line, and he played it off well making a joke and smiling acknowledging how melodramatic it all is.

I got to talk to him after the show, he was really nice.

I feel so fucking bad for the guy. Death is hard regardless of the circumstance but this was so tragic. My college roommate's dad died at the start of August from pancreatic cancer. He was 74 so I feel it was good that he at least got to live a longer life. Although, my friend is only 21 and I can't imagine what it feels like.

Just saw him in Vancouver last week, 100% this.

He played a bunch of new songs for the very first time too. He also does the merch booth himself.

If only US healthcare wasn't such a money-grubbing piece of shit