Battlestations: Jerry rigging addition

Battlestations: Jerry rigging addition
Made a custom laptop cooler using a fan and a dish drying rack.

> laptop
> battlestation
Pick one, faggot

you should add ice cubes inside that rack

Glad you can contribute to the thread by adding nothing.

Also, I've found out that books work well for a mouse pad

Why not just open it up, clean the dust out of the cooling radiator and re-paste? Much more effective.

I had that mouse. Shittiest fucking pos garbage I've ever owned

I could do that but I don't have any tools so working with what I got

1x screwdriver
1x thermal paste
All you need.

Beats my dollar mouse so I'm content.

Honestly you might not even need thermal paste, just getting the dust out would probably be sufficient

G700 is better

Probably very dusty. Got it in 08 or 09. Haven't cleaned it since

It usually is. I clean out the dust every ~6 months, and it can do wonders if there's dust caught in the radiator. I have recently re-pasted a laptop that's about 3 years old with Arctic MX-2 and it made a massive difference to thermal performance. Also try under-volting the CPU. I have my CPU under-volted by 0.100 volts which has significantly improved thermals as well. No performance loss, only reduced thermals and power consumption.

Yeah for a laptop heat makes a huge difference in performance. I can't even play certain games in the summer. Some games are winter only.

There's your problem, be careful when opening it up. Laptops are more prone to electrostatic discharge damage than desktops. I'd recommend looking up a disassembly video too to make sure you don't damage something by accident

The radiator is probably completely clogged with dust. It's in desperate need of a clean.

Thanks. I will look into that. First constructive feedback I've got

Still no battlestations though

Don't even bother dude unless you know what you are doing. You are more likely to break it.

Just get a new desktop. They are more for games anyway. laptops are for office and youtube.

One user on my native imageboard related how he had turned a penny by laptop repairing. Without some gear except screwdriver. One day he fucked up one of laps.

great you saved 5$ on a mousepad and 5$ on a cooler, now you can afford another family pack of poptarts

I have one though

That's why I told him to look up a disassembly video on youtube. Make sure you do, I've fucked up a couple of laptops by disassembling them out of order. It's not fucking brain surgery he won't even need to fully disassemble it. Should be a few screws and pop it open

The raised thermals will shorten the life of the laptop, so if he intends to keep using it in the long run it really should be cleaned. Disassembly usually isn't too hard, but can take a bit of time. Keeping track of the various screws is what I always had trouble with, so it's a good idea to place the screws for each part of the laptop in their own labelled containers.

Yeah but it's not a huge deal and he doesn't seem that knowledgable so you'r ebasically telling him to risk breaking his laptop when a fan will do the trick.

Dude doesn't seem that hard to get a few screws out.

I've never had any luck with fans improving thermals in any measurable way though. I once ran a few thermal tests with external fans on a few laptops and found no difference. As long as the laptop isn't sitting on a soft fabric surface with the exhaust fan blocked, it's able to effectively cool itself on its own.

Im not the guy you are talking with but it is not that hard to break down a laptop. It is more tedious and time consuming more than anything. I've taken my G74S apart at least 5+ times, for fan replacement, and redoing the thermal paste (screwed up the first few times I put the paste on.) And I never really broke anything. A few of the cheap as screws stripped , so once I got them out I just left the broken screw holes empty, But my laptop runs fine, has new fans, and semi-fresh thermal paste (I did it about a year ago.) So for a 5 year old laptop, I think I put new life into it.

DELET THIS

why though

OP here. Going to give thermal Temps before and after. And provide timestamps along the way. Turned off the fan and got rid of the dish rack. Cpu at 70

Gpu at 50

It'll be interesting to see the results of fan on vs off

That's fairly normal for a powerful laptop. They are designed to run hotter than desktops.

It won't "do the trick" I'd be very surprised if it is actually does much when the outside surface isnt where the heat dissipates and the heat sink is insulated inside

great mouse bro

i bet you're a razer fagboy

Dude

Not OP but

Some fags need easily transportable shit user. You might never leave your mom's basement but other people have lives.

Also the obvious desktop under the fan connected to the screen behind the laptop. How fucking blind are you?

Plus newer laptops are becoming fairly powerful, offering full powered GPUs compared to their desktop counterparts. No more watered down mobile GPUs.

So took apart as much as I was comfortable with. Came back to an extra screw. But chock that up as weight reduction. Blasted it with air. I guess we'll see what happens

Fug.

Did you clean the dust out from between the fan, and the radiator? If you didn't do that, don't expect much change.

Well I tried to remove the back but then I needed to remove the keyboard. Under that most mostly plastic shielding. After that I said fuck it. Not going to make an all night project of this so blasted all the opening with air. Will send you results when I log in

Vacuum and a clean brush, Don't use compressed air.

VACUUM NO GO
VACUUM CREATES STATIC
VERY BAD IDEA
BAD ADVICE
NO

It can take up to 30 minutes to get it dissembled for laptops that require pulling off the keyboard, so don't be discouraged. The next step after removing the screws under the keyboard is pulling out the DVD drive. One of the screws under the keyboard holds the DVD drive in, and it will now be loose after removing them. The DVD drive just slides out.

Not OP but not all laptops have the same layout. Mine actually has no fan on the CPU or GPU, just one super big heatsink that leads to the 2 fans on the rear. But I agree, no mater what he needs to get to the fans and clear that dust. On mine I basically have to take it completely apart. But I've done it so many times I can break it down, clean it, and put it together in 1-2 hours total.

Pic related, it is how mine is setup (2 fans near the top center of the picture, which is the rear of the laptop.)

love this shit, this is what Sup Forums is all about

Also, I took a toothbrush to what I could find
Found a bunch of pic related

don't make this gay

On this laptop, you disassemble the drive before the keyboard. It's one screw connected to the hdd bay

noooope

Booted ark to warm it up
Here is cpu

Down to 43

That is great for a laptop. I wouldn't take it apart anymore than you need to. Unless you have long hair pets, there should only be dust inside of there anyway.

What I can suggest for now is download Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and start under-volting the CPU. It will reduce power consumption and thermals without affecting performance. Usually the stock voltage on the CPU is a fair bit higher than it needs to be at stock speeds so you can drop it. Completely safe, and will probably make the laptop last longer and get better battery life.

No pets. Just me and family.
How much do I undervolt?

That's what you need to find out. Drop the voltage in 0.020 volt increments, and run a Prime95 CPU stress test for at least 20 mins after each time you reduce the core voltage. If the CPU is still stable past about -0.070 volts start dropping it in 0.010 volt increments instead of 0.020 volt increments. The system will eventually crash when you find the point where the CPU becomes unstable. Either it will bluescreen, or just randomly shut off. Increase the voltage by 0.010 volts from the voltage it crashed the system at and it should be rock solid stable.

I managed to get both a i5-6200u and a i7-4700mq down to a -0.100 volt undervolt. Reduced the temps by 10°c while the fans don't spin up as much anymore. So both laptops now run quieter and cooler.

(((Intel)))
Mr. user pls

OP here. You got a throw away email I can reach you at?

Email me at [email protected]
It's a temp mail so I can give out my real one at some point

Sent

is that a d2 guide on the floor next to the desk?

Not that guy but fuck. Looking at it too

Yeah, my friend gave me the battle chest set a years ago. It is a pretty awesome guide, plus has some lore too.

If you have an Intel chip, you need Intel software. AMD is currently dead on the laptop market.

Intel is king when it comes to portable devices, especially powerful laptops. Intel CPU and NVIDIA is the best combo for a powerful laptop.

OP here. Lame stats but i7 on a 460

I have an early i7 on a 560m laptop, so I know that pain. But I don't have the desire to play many new games, so it works for the games and other tasks.

Post laptop maino. Show the struggle

I did, Unless you want a close up. It is about 5 years old now, so it has some damage.

Was looking for that close up

Alright, bumping to give me a moment to take a photo. It will look different because my first photo is from about a year ago.

All good

1/2

2/2

Sorry for the bad angles. I am not a photographer.

Looks good OP! Here is my setup.

I live for laptop anons. Drop an email

Try hard but doggos got me covered.
Oh btw. The game

I've been using vacuum on electronics for twenty years with no problems

Yeah, mine is fairly beat up. That's why the trackpad looks fucked (but still works. Just had to remove the rubber cover on the left click)

The electrical tape is just to cover the lights, because I cannot sleep with lights on.

good to see you keep your fap sock on the ready

Love this. Everyone posts "my virgin destroyer set ups. Yet you don't. I like that. Drop an email

You ment to say nigger rigging, and we forgive you for that typo

Could be worse

shiet

I used yo read that shit teligiously, especially in class to stay in that world while my parents were getting divorced

All in all the guide is shit and in no way helps you min/max

It's good if you know fuck all about the game though.

Good eye, I use at as a palm rest and cum holder.

>at
it*

f-u

But you didn't tell when