So I have had this guitar for about 8+ years now and it's the only one I have...

So I have had this guitar for about 8+ years now and it's the only one I have, it's in this condition since I don't take the strings off so I can't clean under them but I don't clean it in general. I want to know if this would alter the sound quality too much and what is a good way to clean the fretboard? Wet napkins don't seem to do it for me.

Other urls found in this thread:

musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dunlop-fingerboard-01-cleaner-prep?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlf_MBRDUARIsAD8Gj8AorqrkKCeoVqha7lUW2zm02j2mYiT3ATpFwZd6CaleeA2BjNfGryQaAiQuEALw_wcB
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Take your strings off and get some fretboard cleaner. Jesus Christ dude.

I'm mostly concerned about the strings, those might mess with the sound too much since they are covered with this green thing that I can scrape off and they are brown underneath.

There is a special cleaner for fretboards?

Jesus Christ man, take the strings off and use some god damn fine steel wool on the neck.

Would changing the strings and cleaning the fretboard improve sound quality greatly though? Also I need to look inside the guitar itself, I don't think I ever cleaned up in there and I can see some dust gathering up. Any advice on how I can get inside?

Probably with the disgusting shape that guitar is in. As far as cleaning out the inside, just get a can of compressed air. Don't try "getting inside".

musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dunlop-fingerboard-01-cleaner-prep?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlf_MBRDUARIsAD8Gj8AorqrkKCeoVqha7lUW2zm02j2mYiT3ATpFwZd6CaleeA2BjNfGryQaAiQuEALw_wcB

guitar just isn't for you

I don't know if I can find compressed air easily. I'll just try blowing inside really hard, a vacuum cleaner or something like that. It's gonna be hard to clean the guitar so I don't want to bother if it won't give me some sound quality. I might just change the strings and leave the fretboard alone or scrub it with wet towels etc. to clean it as much as I can.

Everyone is posting this sort of disgusting shit on Sup Forums as well, with their keyboards.
Just fucking wash your hands.

It's been too long bro but I'm planing on starting piano and/or violin.

Thanks a lot dude, I'll look around for it if I can.

just put it in the shower and let it dry in the sun

this

>Would changing the strings and cleaning the fretboard improve sound quality greatly though?
Do you even play the instrument?

I don't notice a sound change since I change the strings about once every 1.5 years.The sound is normal to me now.

>I don't notice a sound change since I change the strings about once every 1.5 years.
This better be ironic.

if the fretboard is rosewood or ebony, get a rag and put some lighter fluid or naphtha on it and clean it, they cut grease and gunk well. then use a hard bristle toothbrush and brush it to get whatever gunk is left off. if there's still shit on the board use a credit card or something to scrape it away. then get some lemon oil and oil the board, let it sit for 5-10 minutes and wipe the excess away.

maple boards just need a rag and water

I don't know what kind of wood the fretboard is, I got it 8-9 years ago and I think I just went in and asked for a classic guitar my size and picked one based on the color. I'll just scrape stuff away with a card and use wet towels.

Since I am here what is a good length of nails for fingerpicking etc.? Mine are about 0.4 - 0.5 inches ( 1.3 - 1.4 cm ) right now (the white part not the whole thing).

if the OP pic is you then it looks like ebony. dont use water on it, it's not a good idea

BUDDY! get fretboard cleaner OR very carefully take a credit card (strings off guitar) and VERY CAREFULLY scrape in one direction, up-down or down-up, very gently, and some of the shit will come off. If you do this wrong you will ruin the wood, that is why fretboard cleaner is the better option.

Jesus fucking christ, I hope this is bait

In the case that this is not bait please listen to me.
1.Take the strings off
2. Scrape off the gunk
3. Clean with a damp cloth
4. Apply lemon oil
5. Put new strings on it
Repeat every few weeks when you change your strings.
And yes, you should change your strings every few weeks, not every few years.

Wash your hands before you play your guitar and wipe the strings with a microfiber cloth afterwards

I've used stuff like water before though I don't think it had an affect.

I don't have lemon oil can I skip that step?