Got in fight 3 weeks ago

>got in fight 3 weeks ago
>punched super hard in the face
>broke my nose
>was completely off and skewed to the side of my face
>had no money and no means of getting to a hospital so I attempted to set it myself
>looked pretty good
>little off because of what I assumed was swelling
>3 weeks later all the swelling has gone but still a little fucked up looking
>can feel/hear cracks when touching the sides of nose
>feel like I can't breath as well
>want to get it fixed but US healthcare system and no money
>pretty sure its too late to have it reset without rebreaking it
>from what I've read online it seems like this is usually deemed strictly cosmetic surgery and therefore not covered by insurance
>also can cost $5000+ without health insurance

Any anons have experience in this situation? I'm 24 so still covered by my parents health insurance. It's not terribly fucked up or anything, just kinda annoying but I can live with it if I have to. Anyone know if this is something insurance companies will usually cover, at least partially?

Other urls found in this thread:

nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/PPC.aspx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

(laughs in european)

A ambulance ride and one night in the hospital cost me 3000+ and I have insurence

>no money and no means of getting to a hospital

Apply for medicaid if you're so poor; you're legally forced to have some kind of insurance anyway

This

Medicaid you stupid faggot

I'm still covered by my parents health insurance. What I'm asking is if anybody has had their broken nose fixed via surgery and had their insurance mitigate the cost.

as a Canadian i will never understand that struggle

what were you taken to the hospital for?

i glady pay more taxes than being in this kind of situation. even if i am fucking janitor, i wont pay for any hospital or surgery expanses.

father got cancer, got surgery, went to talking therapy (lymph cancer in throat), stayed 2 weeks in hospital, got chemo and radiation therapy and he payed for everything like 300 euros.

Believe me, I'd do the same and I'm jealous of my European/Canadian brothers. I really really really cant afford the thousands of dollars this procedure can potentially cost. Hence why I'm willing to just let it go if I have to.

fogot to add, that its not perfect but atleast i wont have to worry about getting 100k in debt because i got sick.

hit my head against the road traveling ~18mph on a bicycle. No concussion but I think it did a little damage. Now I wear a helmet.

You’re right. You’ll just die before being able to see a doctor. Faggot. Your health care sucks ass.

assuming you didn't just have 3 grand to spend like that..how did paying it work? Did you pay in installments or what?

thats just a meme to keep you fags happy with the shitty system you got.

Wait till its healed full and plan your trip to Canada. A couple nights there shouldn't cost more than a few hundred dollars. Have a few drinks and wait to see any guys giving abuse to some girls. White knight that shit but get beat by the guy (preferably broke nose) get free medical and if that doesn't work make sure you sue the same dude

Wearing a helmet makes you more likely to be hit by a car. Seriously. A large study was done years ago that found that cyclists that wear helmets were significantly more likely to be hit by vehicles. The thinking was that cars tend to give cyclists with helmets less room when passing them, because subconsiously they think that they are less at risk. Fucked up.

yup

If it is affecting your breathing, your parents' insurance will cover it. Just tell the doctor you can't sleep well because you can't breathe through your nose.

>Yank considering us, the superior Europeans, to be his brothers.
Let me laugh at you, poor little fella, as I take another sip of my wonderful tea.

Anything serious or life threatening is seen to pretty fast in the UK (particularly Scotland), but small things and quality of life stuff can take a while, aye.

Free of charge tho, even prescriptions cost fuck all up here.

And Private is still available, for the impatient/ lucky with employers. Cheaper than a lot of folk in the US pay, too.

that is one fucked up nose. rip in pieces.

Fuck all to you dirty scots but the rest of us have to pay £8.60 per prescription

Did the same thing about a year ago, called 911 and was picked up by an ambulance. Left ID with the bike, was taken to ER with skull exposed. Got MRI scanned and stitched up and sent on my way..didn't pay a dime, except the ambulance found me later and billed 500$ for the ride to the hospital

Christ, is it that much now? It was about £6.50 when we stopped paying....

Half the time I ever got a prescription it was for something that was cheaper at a pharmacy anyway, like ibuprofen or such.

I don't know if there's any way to prove that its seriously affecting my breathing. It might just be all in my head idk. My nose looks a little off now, to me but not completely wrecked so its not a super obvious issue.

My nose wasn't broken, and my company self insured.
A year after I quit smoking, I went in because my sinuses never cleared up. They found dozens of cysts inside my sinuses from years of untreated or poorly treated sinus infections.
Insurance covered 100%.
It was one of the reasons my company decided to switch insurance. Then we ended up with an HMO that totally sucked donkey balls.

I havent paid any of it yet
Im not a retard I ride on the streets on local roads with minimal cars and on the sidewalk everywhere else. Also never been hit by a car. Yet ive fell on my bike and gotten hurt numerous times. One broken arm and a blackout from head trauma. Im more worried about falling off than cars.

The prescription fees arent too bad but it still adds up, for me its £25.80 a month its the tuition fees that are the worst you scots have it lucky

>republitards actually believe this lie

Republican politicians parrot this nonstop because they want you to think socialized medicine is bad so you're not fucking furious that you don't have it. You dipshits have no idea what you're missing.

Not a retard? Fallen off multiple times. broken arm, blackout? lololol
I rode a bike daily for 20+ years (as an adult). Never once wore a helmet, Only came off once on a downhill track on holiday when heavily hungover. Never injured myself seriously.

im assuming they also took xrays and ran tests? maybe the 3k you spent was for more than the stay in the hospital and the ambulance ride

>its the tuition fees that are the worst you scots don't vote tory

Fixed that for ye.

If its causing difficulty breathing it wouldnt be cosmetic surgery. Either way just go to a fucking doctor. It's not like theyre gonna have to tell you if your parents insurance covers it before they can do it.

You mean even with insurance you still had to pay 3000 of your own money?

wow aren't you cool

no xrays the just went over concussion protocal. They made me stay for a while even though I was fine 30 min after it happened.

No, just not a retard

this

insurance that covers the ambulance might not be covered by the health insurance

You still need health insurance here, you justvget it for free for being a citizen.

just tap it back into place with a mallet

Broke mine, and stupid NHS booked me into the ENT department, like 4 weeks later, to be pretty much told that I should have gone earlier, any fixing would require a re-break that late, lucky for me it was 99% straight.

But for a yank, your best choice would be a plane to brazil or poland, would be way cheaper

Yeah take advice from someone who says yank

Sorry my bad, i meant burger

Noo not that, now im crying if only we had a ministry of surgery here

Exact same situation in Europe

They aint gonna cover your nosejob if you aint dying

Dude go to the er. They cannot deny you treatment. Do a payment plan. I got into a fight 2 months ago, broke my pinky n ring ring finger (left hand) went in a week later because I couldn't close my hand. Wen into surgery that night, fixed up.got 10mg oxys. Faggots dropped charges life is good.

Same thing happened to me, live in the UK

Doctor said that because no air passages were blocked, surgery would not be covered by the NHS

Gotta save up for the surgery

>mfw paid only 26 euros for fixing a cavity at the dentist.

They will if it hurts and affects your ability to breathe.

Insurance will cover it.

Had my nose broken in a basketball game many years ago. Someone threw a hard pass towards me when i wasnt looking and called my name when it was midair - i turned just in time to get beamed dead center of my nose. Hit hard enough to see stars, thought instantly my nose was fucked. However it never bled - i just went on with my life with it really sore and not being able to breath for a week.

5 years later im having extreme trouble breathing, always out of breath, feel like a zombie, just exhausted 24/7. Feel like im suffocating sitting still. I saw an ENT doctor (ear/nose/throat) and he scoped my nose and told me i had a deviated septum. Usually they can pass the camera through your nasal cavity with ease - one nostril was barely passable and the other wasnt passable at all. Got an xray, doc says it was one of the worst cases hes ever seen.

Long story short the surgery sucked fucking hard throbbing cocks but i can breath fine now. Insurance covered 100%. HOWEVER - many doctors use this procedure as a cover for doing cosmetic sugery since its very similar. My doc even asked if i wanted any plastic surgery done since he could do it while doing the procedure and insurance would pay for it because they wouldnt know about it. That being said, insurance will request proof of a medical condition - copy of your xrays and fucked up nose structure is all the proof theyll need as long as your doc collaborates your story of having trouble breathing.

This shouldnt be an issue at all. The key here is to say you have extreme trouble breathing and it affects your ability to sleep and function normally. An abnormal xray will back that story, and you will be covered.

Once again though, surgery sucked donkey balls with aids - make sure you pick the best doctor you can because yoi DO NOT want to go through it twice.

I think the ER is a little overkill considering the initial break was 3 weeks ago.

Damn dude that's a bummer. How much is the surgery gonna cost? I'm gonna try and schedule an appointment with a local ENT tomorrow to see what they say. Hopefully(or not idk) there is some blockage so its covered by my insurance.

Drive to Canada and have it done

Dude, thank you so much for this answer. Basically answers everything I was hoping for. Thanks a million. I'm gonna try to schedule an appointment with an ENT tomorrow.

I suspect that's exactly what he meant. And that's NOTHING here in America. That is a hell of a fucking bargain.

Also, how fucked up was your nose from the basketball? Cosmetically speaking...and why did the surgery suck so much? Just painful?

Mate, you can get a yearly card for like £100, then if you have like 4 prescriptions or whatever a month you pay nothing at the chemist and save aroun 300 quid a year.

nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/PPC.aspx

If your doc sees abnormal nose structure when he scopes it out with a camera, he will order an xray. The xray will show the damage and is universally accepted as proof of a physical condition by insurance companies. They have to cover the procedure to fix it.

If you have no abnormal structure then yeah, youre totally shit our of luck. But if your nose was legit crunched like you say, you definitely have structural damage. Which in your case is good because they can fix it.

Again - while the internal structure is foxed, your doc can carry out a cosmetic procedure to make your nose look normal again if you wish, and hide the bill as part of the internal procedure. Just make sure that if you wish to do this, that your ENT is also certified to perform plastic surgery.

Youll 100% want to research your doctor. Dont just go to the closest or most convienent one. Pick the one that has the best ratings.

>you're legally forced to have some kind of insurance anyway
Not quite correct. You're penalized on your taxes if you don't have insurance.

They would definitely have a payment program, in my experience. But hell, you could probably get away with just not paying if you're not afraid of the credit hit.

Next time I have to get emergency care without insurance, I'm just going to leave my ID at home and give a fake name.
E R E K T
R
E
K
T

Good for you, user. Although unfortunately the rest of us have to pick up that cost.

Oh it was definitely crunched. Made an audible crunch noise when I was hit followed by an ungodly amount of blood that didn't stop for almost 2 hours. I took a photo of it before I attempted to reset it and its completely fucked up.

Cosmetically it was 100% fine. I thought it was broken when it happened but since it never bled and wasnt crooked, i just sorta forgot about it. I didnt find out until 5 fucking years later - 5 years of feeling tired and overall like shit because it was basically giving me sleep apnea that whole time. I guess my body adapted because i wasnt even aware my nose waa blocked up, i thought i had lung cancer or some shit aince i couldnt breath. I cant describe the pure joy of being able to breath through my nose as well as i now do, it feels so fucking good.

As far as the surgery - the procedure itself is easy. Takes a couple of hours at most, they knock you out and you wake up all groggy and go home that day. What sucks is the recovery. You have to stay rather immobile for a week at least. You cant get your bandages wet, so showers are basically no-go. You have to sit upright, and sleep that way - i sleep on my stomach always so this part was pure fucking torture for me. Cant really chew food because it hurts to do so. You basically sit on your couch doing nothing for a week in pain with an icepack draped around your nose (i froze medical gloves filled with water and drooped the frozen fingers on either side of my nose). The first night theres still medical packing inside your nose thats practically the size of your thumbnail - the pain is intense and unescapable and inside the middle of yoir fucking head and it will drive you to insanity. The next morning they will pull that out and the relieve is orgasmic. Youll still be in a world of pain but absolutely nowhere as bad as the first night.

After a week the exterior bandages come off, and all the stitches/etc in your nose are removed. I was able to go back to work at this point. Took a few months before i could breath through my nose again and my sense of taste/smell returned.

That was about 2 years ago. Lifes been fucking good ever since. Despite the pain and agony its 100% worth the surgery.

Right on dude, I'm glad it worked out for you. Thank you so much for the informative and detailed reply, seriously. I didn't really notice any serious breathing troubles until this past week when I noticed my chest feeling extremely tight while just sitting at my computer. Before that it just felt like I was constantly congested on my right side more than the left.

Lol yup. Shortness of breath is what led to me getting it checked out - after getting chest xrays done thinking i had lung cancer or some dread lung illness. When those came out clear i saw my ENT and things went from there. I forgot about the basketball incident entirely and couldnt figure out how i got my nose broken bad as it was - it wasnt until months after the surgery that i remembered that whole thing happened and it all sorta clicked.

But yeah see your ENT and make sure he does plastics also so he can address your cosmetic issues because that might not be part of the procedure to fix your internal structure. Youll hate life for a while after its done but when you wake up one morning and feel that sweet cold air rushing through your nostrils and filling your lungs with a nice satisfying full breath - youll feel like you could cry it feels so fucking good and refreshing.

Its worth noting that your nasal tract has cillia (microscopic hairs) attached to nerve cells that are triggered by airflow. When these cells arnt triggered for a while, your brain will think youre not getting air, making your diaphram and chest muscles spasm as if you were suffocating. Even though you may get 100% the oxygen you need through your mouth, your brain still wants airflow through the nasal ducts and will throw a bitchfit if that doesnt happen. Thats 100% why you feel out of breath sitting down doing literally nothing lol.

Very informative, thanks man

You should have sued the guy who hit you and get money from there.